Crusader Invoker Set Blocks per Second

The invoker set 2 piece bonus says " Each time an enemy is hit with [Punish] or [Slash] or an attack is [blocked], Thorns damage is increased by 350% for 2 seconds".

How many blocks per second and how is the number of blocks in a 2 second period determined. The way this is written the 350% increase stacks based on the number of blocks plus the number of attacks in a rolling two second period.

Well, if we assume a 75% block chance, and every 2 seconds you have 20 mobs attempting to hit you once each, on average you’d block 75% of 20 attacks, so you’d gain 15 stacks from the blocks. Effectively, if you’re stood in the centre of a circle of mobs, you’ll rapidly gain thorn stacks.

As Invoker can reach 100% block chance with certain passive/gear options as well as Provoke:Hit Me, it’s to the point that every melee attack you take also gives you a stack.

Also note that quite a bit of moves that wouldn’t seem to be blockable ARE blockable. In terms of Affixes…

Orbitor, Desecrate, and Mortar are all blockable. Certain boss moves such as Orlash/Diablo’s Lightning Breath are also blockable. There’s probably quite a bit more thats blockable that I can’t think of atm.

I agree about the block chance but if there are no limits on the number of blocks per second, the 2 set bonus would quickly kill off mobs with no other action on my part. I am usually running 250K plus in thorns at higher GR levels. 20 times 250K times 3.5 is 17500K. If the 2 piece bonus was generating 17500K damage 20 times a second, not even a rift guardian would survive.

Actually, your block chance can be higher than 75%. The 15% punish bonus is not subject to the cap and there are other block % bonuses not subject to the cap.

First, the 75% figure was just an example.

Second, the example was that 20 mobs were hitting you. Now you’re on about Guardians. Even if we assume that you’ve got a Guardian that’s summoned 20 adds, and your thorns stacks are nice and high, and we go with that wonky maths, 175,000,000 * 20 = 3,500,000,000 a second. So, using a screenshot I took for another thread, how about a GR80 Guardian…

The Guardian has 8,789,437,710,336 HP.
8,789,437,710,336 / 3,500,000,000 = 2,511 seconds
2,511 seconds = 41.85 minutes

So, missing the 15 minute limit for successfully completing a GR80 by 26.85 minutes.

This is why the 2-piece damage aura is hot garbage.
It’s all about the 6-piece of 15,000% thorns to your first target hit.

The only solution is to mix I2 with A6 for a 16x damage buff. So 2,511 seconds now becomes 157. A6I2 should be a 120GR contender today, but nobody has risked the augments to experiment with it, or shared their results past the 2.6.4 buff from 150% to 350%.

If they ever buffed Akkhan 6-piece to 4000%+, it’d become a half decent trash killer.

I tried the A6I2, problem is once you’ve thornsed down all the baby stuff that was giving you blocks, there’s not enough things left to attack you for stacks and cooldown reduction and the damage/survivability plummets. Hack will give you some of the single target back, but less than 10% of a full 6 piece (since your attack speed is also lacking the 50% haste) and it’s just not enough to make up for the other weaknesses.

Block rate is calculated base on 75% hard cap.

Past the hard cap, block % is used to calculate justice lantern % mitigation only.

Example, its easy to achieve 100%, block rate is capped at 75%, @ 100% your JL is 100%* 55% , not 75%*55%.

Hi celtic08.

I am pretty sure that there is no hard cap on 75 %. The tooltip there is wrong. You can test it easily. Push your block chance to 100 % with passives and gear and let some mob beat you.

You will certainly see that every (blockable) attack will be blocked.

Best regards,
MarNor

So, if the game saying 75% is the maximum…

…how do you prove that’s not the case without resorting to “well, it looks like everything gets blocked”?

Invoker is not a new build. Sure over the years the bd has received tweaks and enhancements however core mechanics still stays.

When invoker was first released in 2016, we had frame by frame test to confirm block mechanics. Since the testing post is more than 3 years old, its harder to locate now.

If i remember correctly, block % can be altered if blood brother is around, there was a finding that BB raises 75% hard cap to 95% hard cap. But since BB isnt part of meta anymore, its kinda irrelevant.

You can also confirm hard cap % on d3p.

only block chance on gear is subject to hard cap. skill based increases like punish can take you above 75%.

That must be it then, because I notice a huge difference in uptime on my abilities and stacks of the two piece when I use BB (I just assumed it was the cap not being a thing with provoke up).

Blood Brother is subject to the Cap. To check just cube and look at block %. Then substitute another weapon in cube and look at block %.

Provoke is not gear and is not subject to the cap.

I can give you my result from the ptr when they buffed it. I cleared 120 first try with ease (from EU so bad ping).
Although, that was obviously with the superior A6/I2 thorn bomb build.

Outdated and depreciated. That 75% hardcap isn’t the only wrong thing on the in-game character sheet.

You continue to block past 75%. Extensive testing has been done on this.

you are getting more than 75% block chance from gear only during testing?

Awesome to know, how long was the guardian kill?

Yes. While the extra 10% from Blood Brother doesn’t show up on the gear sheet past 75%, I was blocking roughly 83% of attacks during the testing (Not using Punish or the +30% block passive).

Was orbat. Took like 2-3 min max maybe ? It was 6 months ago so a bit hazy in my head.