Constitution in D4?

So I recently watched a bit of Grim Dawn, a game I havent played myself, and the constitution mechanic intrigued me. It is displayed as a separate “health bar” on top of your normal health bar, that effectively gets eaten away at by enemies in tandem with the regular health during prolongd combat.

The basics of it is this:
In combat you loose health, but when you disengage your enemies the regular health of the player is rapidly refilled without using potions, instead spending constitution in the process.
If you loose half your health the constitution bar will also be down to half and remain there after combat until refilled with a secondary mechanic.
(for D4 the ammount of constitution used to heal the player and the way to replenish constitution are issues I leave to the devs)
https://grimdawn.fandom.com/wiki/Game_Mechanics#Constitution

To me it seems like a fine mechanic to help keep the action flowing while ensuring that the player can stay in the fray for longer while still having to actively manage their health, as it allows the players health to fluctuate heavily during combat without needing to resort to potion spamming (which we all know wont be a thing in D4).
This mechanic would work especially well with tanky melee builds and would make it so that the tank wouldn’t necessarily need to focus so heavily on stuns, as they could disengage the enemy and reposition as an alternative means to heal, saving the potion to when in a more dire situation. As you know this tactic could of course not go on forever as the contitution bar is diminished when the health is restored.

I personally don’t see the point of this mechanic on builds other than tanky ones. Flavour wise maybe it could be a shared Barbarian and Druid trait, that could be unlocked far down the passive node roots of the skill tree. So if you want to make that tanky battle mage of your dreams you would need to get ahold of the unique item that grants the effect :wink:

Yes you are.

1. Copy the URL to the clipboard
  2. Paste the URL into your forum post
  3. Highlight the URL in your post
  4. Click the </> button in the editor
  5. This will turn your URL into pre-formatted text
  6. Whilst not clickable, the URL will be properly formatted so others can copy / paste it like this… http://www.ThisIsAnExample.com/HowToMakeLinks.htm
3 Likes

It is an interesting idea. I played that game for a while. You can’t regen health if you don’t have any constitution. You have to go to town to get food and that will heal both your constitution and health. I don’t think that would work very well in D3 or D4.

1 Like

Tank you!

So lets make it so that the player can fill up the constitution bar and the health bar using a health potion. The constitution mechanic would in this case have the same effect, ie let the tank stay in the fray of battle for longer while it still being dangerous because of the enemy damage.
The gage to limit constitution is then the health potion cooldown vs damage taken, it not only makes for such a revolutionary idea as fast paced tank play it also makes the “when” of using potions alot more dynamic.
Edit: Keep in mind, constitution does not work like an extra healthbar and we dont have a vitality stat in the game.