Console and Online Only

To improve user experience, is it better to have console included in the online only feature?

Meaning PSN, Xbox Live and Nintendo Switch Online would all require an active login to play Diablo.

PC and console can then have seamless exchange, and desktop/laptop players can join the same game and play with console players, and vice versa.

1 Like

That rather depends on how they structure the consoles. If it’s the same as D3 then yes, if it’s not then possibly not.

Also, just because PC and console both have the same structure doesn’t mean they’ll be connected to the other. A lot of games are online for console and PC, yet can’t crossplay.

1 Like

You would think if they’re going to make it online only, they’d make cross play work, particularly if they’re going to continue pushing this online only economy.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that it’s the console manufacturer’s decision, not Blizzard’s.

2 Likes

The console manufacturers will want a say in it if their online system is used in any way.

1 Like

If Blizzard makes D4 Online only, even for Consoles, then maybe there could be cross over. They already said the D4 PC version will have Console Control compatibility (yay for accessibility options!).

Yessquire and Merdrah are right though. That is really a decision the console makers have control over. If they don’t want to have cross play, the game won’t have cross play.

We shall just have to wait and see.

2 Likes

Recently, Sony has been the guilty party for not allowing cross-play. Microsoft has been guilty in the past as well.
If their console is dominating then they have zero reason to allow cross-play. As not having it will not scare enough players away.

1 Like

Consoles will always have an off line mode. Making an internet connection mandatory almost killed the box 1 release until they reversed it.

I see the new influx of streaming gaming being a bigger issue for cross playing then consoles. Consoles are on their way out the door within the next 10 years.

Offline mode is not mandatory on consoles. The game publisher decides.

Cross-play is up to the console companies to allow though.
But other games have cross-play, it is typically a matter of how large the publisher is and whether they can pressure MS or Sony. You have to imagine Sony and MS would not like to lose out on a Diablo game.

If there was cross-play, Blizzard should certainly make sure to support keyboard and mouse on the consoles too however.
And of course, support offline mode on all platforms as well.

Streaming is a horrible experience for fast games honestly. That is unlikely to change within the next 10 years. Maybe some day.

Probably. Doesn’t mean every console game does. Destiny 1 and 2, Trove, Neverwinter, Fortnite, Paladins, Smite, FFXIV for Playstation… and many others don’t have offline modes.

Meh. You mean like Stadia? Services like that are still garbage and unable to deliver the quality they all advertise. Those commercials were hilarious as well.

“Look! Stadia takes up almost no room at all!” pans around to a room with absolutely nothing else in it except the TV and stand Yeah, you absolutely needed that saved space, champ.

Love that all we read from PC users is that they need an offline mode and now from console players wanting a online mode only. If only the PC players that want a offline mode would just go play the console and go away.

1 Like

That makes no sense at all, Azamo. I do not like playing on a console, I prefer using a PC. I also like having the options to play my games when I do not have internet access due to valid (reasons) that I have.

Our feedback is just as important as yours, whether you agree with us or not.

Ok first of your condescending tone is almost as useless as your reply.

Second I would never use streaming gaming only. I dont need it, but I can see where many others will. As your small mind cant seem to see them here I will give you an example. On line gaming like Stadia, Xbox streaming or Nvidias offering ( Wouldnt know about commercials. I dont tolerate ads of any nature.) Take a place like India where most people cant afford a gaming system. Where their phones are the most powerful computer they have. How about Brazil where gaming on a chrome book is the only chance some people will get to game. So While I wouldnt use it. I am open minded enough to see there is a need and many companies are trying to fill it. Some are even moving to it.

As for saving space lol thats cute. I have more SSD sitting in a corner then I could ever fill up. Nice try boyo.

I wouldnt say that long. Some are even already building full PCs based on game streaming.

The biggest issue is latency. Once that is taken care of, I see the average person not really needing a computer. Most people on this forum could get away with a browser and something like stadia.

We will see how long it takes.

Yawn. My condescending tone was directed at Stadia, not you. If you can’t make that distinction then your reply is probably useless too.

Sigh. The advertisements were that Stadia saved on physical space, 'cause there were no consoles or cords or what have you. Hence the irony of the commercial, which was staged in an otherwise empty room.

Seriously, do a little research before you assume you know what you’re talking about. That wasn’t even directed at you, either, yet you’re acting as it if was. Calm down.

That’s been a possible thing for a while now. Might already be active in some way, who knows. Rather than have your own high-powered computer, you’d instead pay to access other computers - either through a specific company, like Blizzard, or a 3rd party - and the software would be installed there.

It wouldn’t really get rid of PCs per se, though, because they would still have to be built and housed somewhere… we’d just be remotely accessing them.

People wanting the game to be online only are in the minority.

I have a hard time believing that people in India and Brazil, that can’t afford a PC/console, are able to afford the high speed internet connection needed for streaming services.

Streaming is a dead idea for two reasons.

The major publishers want to do their own service for their games. Which won’t work because consumers will only pay for so many streaming services at a time.

The other reason is that ISPs will hold the streaming services hostage by throttling them. They will squeeze out their piece of the pie.

India has some of the best data prices in the world. Should check them out.

And no you are sadly mistaken. Online gaming is the next stage in gaming.

Guess you missed the “Wouldnt know about commercials. I dont tolerate ads of any nature.)” But that is ok as you seem a bit tired with all the yawning. Everything I know about stadia I have seen by use and from code review. But then again its not wrong. Soon the majority of gaming will be on mobile devices.

Good luck.