Connecting to Fastest Server

Hey guys,

So I’m trying to play Diablo 2 with a friend on battlenet, with a legit CD Key that I purchases directly from the Blizz website. Every time I try to connect I get stuck at Connecting to Fastest server for about 30 seconds, then I get the error message "Unable to connect to battlenet If using a modem try contacting your ISP - basically telling me to connect to the internet… which I am.

I’ve been relentlessly researching this issue and I’ve tried everything, posting here is my last desperate attempt.

Here is a list of the things I’ve tried:

-Forwarding my ports on my router

-Updating my router firmware

-reinstalling the game 3 different times to different directories

-Disabling windows defender

-Connecting to my phone’s mobile hotspot

-Connecting to my router’s Guest network

-Using an ethernet cable directly to the modem

-Run in adminstrator mode

-Run in windows compatibility mode for Windows SP 2 & 3

-Using command prompt Flush my DNS and iprelease/iprenew

Not sure what to do next… never in my life have I ever been unable to get a game work because of a network issue… I am fresh out of ideas… please help!

1 Like

Do you have internet? If so, it could be that your character is locked inside a running game, and it might take 24 hours to time out.

It’s happened to me, although, the error message wasn’t exactly the same. Seems to happen allot, when you leave a game, or get booted for some reason.

I have been warned against using Open Battle.net for this very reason. Not only is it buggy, it’s not secure.
You could ask your friend to be sure that game is completely closed out, and ask him to refresh his IP, as well.

Try disabling Use a Proxy Server, in Network settings. That is suggested as well.

Yeah I have internet, I have many different options like different networks (guest network, 5g, mobile hotspot) none of them have worked. I’ve been trying to resolve this issue for the last 4 days, so it’s been longer than 24 hours. I’ve never been able to successfully log in on this computer so I dont have a character that can be locked.

I will try to disable using a proxy server per your 2nd reccomendation.

Update: Disabling Proxy Server didn’t work - Still can’t connect

I see that you forwarded your ports, did you make a permission in your firewall? Have you contacted your ISP Provider on this issue?

Also, there’s a long list of rules for playing online. Are you aware of those rules? This could be a temp ban, due to some small infraction. It happens allot.

I’ll try to find the list.

MissCheetah is very helpful, and she posted this link: