[Classic] The Shared Stash

I just fundamentally disagree, here. There are times that this is true, when the game mechanics are so obviously set up in a way that makes item duplication a simple task, but to equate that to muling items I find absurd.

Also, Brevik’s quotes about space vs power were specifically about Charm inventory. They’re not really in full context, here. He, again, stated the shared stash was the right call.
Doesn’t sound like he’s against muling.

4 Likes

Yes, it was a response to charm inventory, but the response still fits the theme of “limited space.” And yes, he agreed with shared stash being the right call due to less strain on servers, but still reiterates about being a limited space designer. Just because he agrees with the call, doesn’t mean he really agrees with muling.

I still believe in a sense (reiterate in a sense, which was my original wording) it still can be considered cheating (not outright, but in a sense). One of the reasons I am an instanced loot advocate for D2R (in addition to outright cheating like pickit/botting and other reasons) is because I believe with the addition of the extended stash and shared stash, your opportunity cost goes down when grabbing items. So you may pick up more junk to stash since you have more room to do so without having to stop and “cheat the system” (lol) and mule. Also a reason I was initially not crazy about charm inventory is because of the shared loot “balance.”

Yeah I mean, people play differently. Some people define any trading at all to be cheating, because the likelihood of those traded items being duped/botted is >0.

I disagree with them, but I understand and respect the argument. To each their own.

That being said, I really, really, really think your point isn’t really valid in the Classic: shared stash argument, as if that was what the devs believed, they would believe the same for LoD. It makes little sense in this regard. I think they just know zero Classic players and made baseless assumptions on the player base.

2 Likes

I just think it is mostly a distinction of offering a more pure remaster of the original base vs expanding upon the formula a bit on the version that will be played by the most people, but playing on the nostalgia of having that more original version. Just how I feel the legacy mode is meant for being seeing how it originally looked, but meant to be played in the remastered graphics.

1 Like

Just doesn’t make much sense. The differences between 1.00Base game to 1.14Classic are just as drastic as 1.07 is to 1.14 in LoD expansion. It makes very little sense to not give shared stash for that reason, it doesn’t logically fit at all.
It would maybe make sense if at release you weren’t able to make mules, and that it was in the expansion that capacity was created, but that isn’t the case at all.

If anything, getting rid of the easy ability to mule in a private game (even if needed to “perm” games, like so many years ago), it is making it further from 1.00.

Again, making the game objectively less like 1.00 is in no way sticking to the “original” as is alluded to in PezRadar’s post. In fact, it’s a laughable idea.

1 Like

Again, it is the “more original” version, meaning closer to the original than LoD. We all had the same argument about the use of “original” in discussions on launching to the 1.14d patch on any version, as it plays drastically different than the original launch of each respective version (when the most people played, and a good number of people picking this up as a remaster might remember the more original incarnations as opposed to the 1.10+ iterations).

Maybe they will change their minds with the first patch, but I doubt classic will launch with shared stash. It doesn’t surprise me really, as I had figured that it would happen that way to be honest. Just as I don’t see them adding wider resolution of legacy mode. The only things I would figure that could happen between now - beta - launch, is anything added they surveyed on, and to be honest on that, I see it as doubtful. While I’m hyped for the game, and will be deeply diving into the first ladder for two months, once FF14 expac releases in November, that’ll occupy me for a month (got my vacation for that launch week approved today, whee!) by then, Edge of Eternity PS4 should be out, so another month or two (depending on how deep I dive in to 100% it), then I’ll see where the state of D2R is for ladders or for plugy mod.

1 Like

Yeah I hear you…at this point I might just wait for PoE2…this company is a shadow of its former self…oh well, have a good night. Hopefully they reach out to the community for once.

4 Likes

I still see the game as worth picking up. I’ll admit, I thought about refunding awhile ago, then decided to gift it to my dad for his birthday, since I figure he’ll play it for the rest of his life, even after D4 comes out (since D4 will still play more faster paced, and at his age, his reflexes just are not with it, even if he still loves his D3 WW Barb). I just feel it’s longterm value might not be there (outside of the extreme hardcore D2 crowd that never moved on) if they don’t do something to refresh the stale ladder vs non ladder system for online play, or if popular mods like Plugy are not updated to run with it. But yeah, goodnight. Heading to bed myself.

2 Likes

I’ll probably still buy it. Buying multiple copies is out though for me if no shared stash for Classic. Was planning to buy 3 at least, but honestly now I’d have to buy 2 for each PC, console, etc…that’d put me at like 6 copies just to be able to mule safely on each console…sounds crazy. Night.

Shared stash was my big "oh sweet I can buy it once on PC, Xbox, Switch, and move whatever I want wherever I want on any console…nah, I’ll likely buy 1 PC copy and just tinker around on Xpac, checking the new graphics…D4 still looks pretty decent so…We’ll see.

3 Likes

You can be efficient without being exploitative and conversely you can be exploitative without being efficient.

My point being that while these ideas may form a set of outcomes that overlap one another, a venn diagram of three circles. An employed process by a player may fit into one, none, or all three of these circles, but the circles are not equal. I hope that elaboration helps clarify what I meant.

I’m not suggesting that there aren’t incidents where the playstyle can’t be all three; efficient, exploitative, and cheating.

Hi Pez,

Thank you for the response and thank you for passing it over to the Dev team. I am sure you can see from the feedback that classic players are very unhappy with this.

I am totally in agreement with wanting to make sure the game feels true to what it was in previous life however this particular feature is being granted to another area of the game meaning this point is somewhat null void. It’s very disappointing to see us classic players are being left out of this QoL feature.

Are you able to advise if classic is getting auto gold pick up, gamble refresh and other QoL features? Or are these reserved for LoD too?

Thank you again for your response, I appreciate you are a very busy man!

(Side note; looking hench by the way, keep up with the lifting!)

6 Likes

Thank you for replying! I really hope the team reconsiders.

Classic players don’t play classic because we’re purists, the non-expansion version of the game almost feels like a different game, it has its own meta and unique playstyle that lots of people prefer. I can promise you people don’t play classic because of a tiny stash.

If classic doesn’t get the improved stash then there needs to be some other way to safely transfer items between classic characters. 2 good enough item drops and our stash is full, then what? Do we need to wait for a friend to come online? Do the old “secretly drop in a game and hope the game stays open, not full and nobody finds our loot before we rejoin” trick?

Back in the day the classic community was huge (even after the LoD release) and I hope it can return to its former glory - leaving out QoL changes would be a mistake.

7 Likes

You know the reason why d2 had such poor storage options? Server limitations. Its 2021. Make it better. Players who like rhe old way can keep playing the old game.

3 Likes

Sounds to me like they could not figure out how to make classic stash bigger and just say we want to remain close to the original as possible while changing expansion…

2 points to add:

I am curious what percentage of D2 players are planning on a big time sink in classic as opposed to LoD. I understand those who enjoy it are passionate about it, but I wonder if the devs felt there wasn’t enough interest in it to put a premium on its QoL.

If you look at Pez’ text…he doesn’t actually say there isn’t a shared stash, just that the stash size will stay the same:

Also, note the use of “as of now” and “Future QoL may be considered”. That doesn’t say to me “under no circumstance will we ever increase stash size”

Now, if there will be a shared stash, Pez needs to clarify that point.

4 Likes

Eh I took it to mean it will remain the same as it was in classic regular D2. No shared stash and it’s the same size. They really need to reconsider this.

2 Likes

Yeah, which is why I think some clarity is needed, it’s too vague in the wording. And while I tend to be an optimist, you can easily see phrases like “as for now” meaning “forget about it”.

3 Likes

Yeah I could care less about the ‘size’ of the stash. I mean, sure, larger the better imo, but really I just think the idea of buying a game without safe transfer of items seems absolutely insane.

It’s 2021, the devs know this right?

As primarily a Classic player I had planned on d2r being my next big ‘regularly’ played game.
Without a shared stash I can’t really see myself still playing regularly in 2022 and onward.

I dunno, maybe I’ll play a season or two of expansion hoping they eventually change their minds.

I humbly ask the devs if they read this-

Please read Twitter, Reddit, and other ClassicD2 forums, as well as take a peek at all the Diablo Discord pages.

It is overwhelming- Classic players want the shared stash. Most would prefer a larger stash, but a safe way to move items to other toons is absolutely essential to gaming in 2021going forward.

PoE2 is calling if you don’t listen.

8 Likes

Okay…

Here’s my thoughts on Classic Diablo II.

I think it would be fine to leave the stash the way it is, but I wouldn’t mind improvements, such as shared stash, and separate inventories.

The whole point behind it is for multiplayer, whether that’s TCP/IP, LAN, or Battle.net. You shouldn’t be able to hoard. Period.

I kept finding things I didn’t need, and wondered why. The reason is, It’s not really a single player game. So, I encourage all players to make it happen, wherever they are, even if they have to buy a router to do so. Diablo II shines as a multiplayer game with friends, and really needs to be played that way. In fact, I would go so far as to say it was the best lan party game I ever played.

However, Battlenet just ruined it. It was too restrictive and policed, and there were so many hackers, thieves, cheats, etc… It just ruined the experience. I quit Battlenet early on, because players were so evil, nasty, and just didn’t care.

I’ve just started up playing on Battlenet 1.0 again. It’s still pretty messed up, with players jumping in, doing all of your quests for you, and ruining the experience!

If I were going to make a single request, it would be that nobody can open a waypoint beyond what the players have actually discovered, in quest. ALL OF THE PLAYERS.

Purists are Trolls end of story enuff said

1 Like