Charm Inventory

I have been playing D2 since 2001/2002. I do agree that they should keep charms the way they are now in current inventory, and you have to make a decision of how many you want in your inventory while you play. What I think should change, though, is the way the cube is used. I think that the cube should be used for it’s cube uses, not for storage. So, if you try to put items in there for storage that is not used for a cube recipe then it will go back to previous inventory/stash squares where you picked them up from to put in cube.

6 Likes

Just leave the whole system as it currently is. There is no need to touch the player inventory.
The shared stash is a god send because perming a game, then praying on bnet not crashing while you muled was not good.
The rest of the inventory stuff can just stay as was. It worked. No need to fix was wasn’t broken.

18 Likes

Just make them not work in the regular inventory.

18 Likes

there is no choice, if you’re contemplating that “choice” then you’re either a noob or a person that enjoys handicapping themselves for no particular reason, sounds harsh I know, but that’s the truth.

18 Likes

No Change to INVENTORY !

16 Likes

Says who? They already changed the stash for QoL reasons, might as well change this too.

20 Likes

Putting charms outside only makes sense when the new space will be limited as well. That way we only get more room for item hunting but no advantage by adding 20 skillcharms.

4 Likes

I could probably live with that.

5 Likes

I’d argue give players a Charm Inventory, BUT, it has limited slots and if any slot is filled, charms in the main inventory will not work.

So, while farming items you could use your charm inventory to put in all the magic find charms you have, leaving you space to pick up actual items. When leveling you could take charms out of the charm inventory to fill your main inventory for more stats.

By making it an either/or option, it provides a degree of QoL, but also allows the purists to enjoy the game the original way by giving them the option to never use a charm inventory. As an added feature, disable the charm inventory when you flag for PvP, leaving you the option of ONLY using your actual inventory.

4 Likes

Nah, just add another tab that will be 2 horizontal slots smaller(or not, not a big difference anyway) than your actual inventory. Charms are only active while they’re “equipped” in to that tab, nothing else can be placed in that tab. That’s it.

12 Likes

I completely agree. The logic behind the idea is consistent with the design goals the developers have mentioned and adds major QOL to late game players. As long as the separate inventory is the equivalent to what current high level characters equip I don’t see any downside. The end result is the same character strength with less tedium.

18 Likes

Hi. I am personally not a fan of making the inventory space larger. Guess I’m just too used to the way it works in original D2 and I mostly enjoyed slowly filling up the inventory with end game charms, only leaving space for few new drops, the tomes or the Cube. In contrast, in the more modern games I tend to feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of gear/loot you can actually carry with you and then have to deal with in town.

If they wanted to try something bold but maybe not too game changing, however, perhaps there could be an option to carry the Cube with you in a special slot. That way you could keep the inventory full of charms but also have the possibility to put new drops in the cube. But maybe that’d be a bit weird, don’t know.

2 Likes

charms are annoying but they are a choice. I always leave 8 open squares in addition to the cube so I can pick up a large bow if I need. Some players choose to leave 0 room open other than cube. Some players may want no charms at all to have all of their inventory.

Everyone has to choose what is more important. That is the whole aspect of “Decisions Matter” that many of us dislike about Diablo 3. Inventory space is a finite resource that needs to be managed.

I choose to give up having 2 additional skill charms because I would rather have more inventory. The people who PVP will choose to get 2 more skill charms (meaning 4 more than me) by also not carrying their cube. These are both OK.

If there was a separate charms inventory, everyone would always have the same number of charms. That is changing the decision making part of the game

17 Likes

Charms are definitely past the scope of QOL features. Charms are a choice in how many you carry and how that balances out with your ability to collect loot. They are literally designed in different sizes so that they are a challenge to manage what kind of charms and how many you carry.

10 Likes

I’d really like to see a Charm Inventory too.
IMO the best option would be making it optional, just like auto-gold pickup.
This way, anyone can choose whether they want it or not.

10 Likes

I respectfully don’t think so. That was a choice by hardcore players to carry that many charms and leave themselves such a minimal amount of space to compete over loot with.

For me its a really fine line with QOL stuff. I am not as against them as some people. But for example allowing people to stack runes/gemstones to me doesn’t violate the integrity of the game because runes/gemstones don’t have an effect on your character and gameplay unless you are actually wearing an item with them in it.

Carrying a charm and choosing to inconvenience yourself with inventory space to receive the bonuses they gave you is a gameplay choice not simple a QOL choice because these are passively providing you bonuses even while you are not using them. The inventory management in that sense is a feature of a lot of older RPG’s and not by accident.

8 Likes

the game suppose to be about choice

you ask to have a clean inventory
but carry the power of a full charm inventory
come on guy think 2 sec you ask to carry 10 skill charm free without any compromise

11 Likes

I am not against the Charm Inventory. I liked it in PD2 I just find it odd players act like its the same thing as shared stash and a simple QOL thing and not a mechanic change.

I think a charm inventory is a good idea. I feel like many seem to not be able to separate the concept that just because its a good idea, does not mean it is not a big game changing mechanic. Even when created the whole concept of them is literally to compete with inventory space. You can believe that is a bad concept, but that was its intention. To remove that on a D2 Remaster release seems aggressive IMO.

With a Charm Inventory, as long as you have an open slot you will chose to carry a charm there even if its not a skiller or max MF/resist. When I had a charm inventory I found myself carrying many resistance charms that I would otherwise not have thought were worth their space to compete with inventory, especially in early hell/late NM. These resistance charms I had to take up the empty space made my character way more durable, and the game easier.

9 Likes

That’s a good post pretty much a more well-written version of my opinion on it haha.

1 Like

I am + 1 for charms inventory , but if they put that they need to make it whenever a charm is picked it atomatically goes to the charm inventory , else if it is an item it automatically goes to the item inventory !

Or even make charm inventory as a quest , and the blocks [ ] for the charms inventory will varies from 10 to 40

if no charm inventory then larger inventory!

3 Likes