Charm Inventory

There is about as much of a chance of removing charms from LoD as removing the teleport skill. I usually have tome of tp and id on my right, a key stack then charms heading left with enough space aprx for armor and helm (or cube if I so desire). To be honest, most people are not going to be running an inventory filled with skillers. Most will be just playing casually with what they pick up as opposed to trading/crafting, and will only trade for a piece of gear or runeword base.

I’m still on the end that the game needs to address most of the gear being fairly worthless towards Hell/late nightmare, so that everyone isn’t gravitating towards the same dozen or so drop types for a charm inventory to really make sense to me.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with this at all. I truly believe the current inventory gives the game a wonderful balance for character builds and game play. The stash is expanded, and thats the only thing we need. If you have an infinite inventory you’ll never have to leave for town. This will make people with pickit or nosey leechers disrupt normal play even more than normal. I am personally SO happy that this is a remaster, opposed to a remake.

2 Likes

I disagree Ceb :stuck_out_tongue:

From playing private servers like PoD and PD2, a charm inventory doesn’t change much… except for being less inconvenienced. Being able to pick up loot in a loot based game makes sense. Also, since the game is going to be on consoles, they need to make inventory management feel better. Can you imagine trying to loot items to your cube with a controller because your inventory is practically full of charms? I proposed a change to the cube here that is more middle ground though: Expanded Cube Instead of Charm Inv. (Plus Auto Store Loot)

4 Likes

I can get behind an expanded cube. But that’s pushing it. Tbh a big reason I didn’t play mods was the expanded inventory. Also, those mods had weird drop rates - they changed the inventory because its not meant to have 8 people in one game (imo it was not balanced for the MODs, so changing the inventory GAVE it balance.)

1 Like

The reason why you have restrictions with equipment would be for game balance and character build incentives. The trading space for power seems like a lazy game design mechanic honestly. It makes sense to make a space exclusive for charms, but it would also make sense to make those charms more diverse. At the moment the prefixes are boring.

2 Likes

that would be nuts as u can go from console to pc with your character if i remember correctly
if this is implemented it will change abit more than people might realize.
as many have pointed out the aspect of picking and choosing between more space and less power and more power and less space was an important, And good thing in my opinion. getting a charm inventory just removes that important struggle and decision making.
and while that might have been an okay idea if the d2r was split into two, one being computer and without charm inventory and the other console with charm inventory. but it is not possible here as its 1 game 2 platforms.
asking for the game to be made to fit console also will ruin the pc part of the game. to begin with i dont quite understand why they made the decision for cross platform as it leaves these requests to change the game to fit something it was not made to be played on to begin with, not to say putting d2r to console isent a good thing, but changing the form of something to fit it all usually ends bad

im abit curius and do not quite understand, why are the prefixes of charms boring? rather which one and how many
because from what i can tell there are alot of useful prefixes same with suffixes, if it where all good on both sides you will only ever find good charms, having the chance of getting a beep charm with 2 stats you do not like/need only makes the one with good pre and suffix you need feel even better, the boring or useless stats you see might also be useful to others

Because you use them to forgo hard decisions with equipment. They don’t even add anything new, just the same bonuses you would find on equipment. Your equipment choices augment your entire build and selecting the equipment used to be harder.

It’s a gimmick, like paragon. You’re just grinding them to stack things.

i only played d3 before paragon so cant comment on that, but the gear and build comparison works the other way around aswell does your build dictate what gear you use or is it the gear that dictates what build you play.
having to choose between what you want is a good thing, do i need 6 slots to pick up something like a war pike or do i put in mf charms, skill charms, life. ar, frw. or maybe resistance because u needed something to fix a hole in your gear what about damage charms like poison, or strength to so you can wear your newly found sword. the question comes down to, do i think its worth it to loose the room for potions or putting extra potions or do i wanna sacrifice that space for charms that makes it possible to use stat points elsewhere, am i lacking attack rating perhaps poison damage, what about pvp, making it possible to hold different potions or swap gear?. or do we keep it as it is?? i for one think having to make choices between these things to be the right way to do it so leaving it as it is gives the game something to think about, and not make it easy as now you dont have to sacrifice something in order to gain something

This thread’s concerns have been included in the QoL section of the mega compilation, so that these concerns gets more exposure since this is a highly actively talked about feature.
Muyu’s Suggested Changes Compilation

Using the inventory to get around equipment choices, would be the reason why those choices are easier to make. The problem with higher numbers, would be that those individual numbers are worth less overall.

Giving up inventory space for more power is silly and you’re basically using the inventory as an equipment zone, which is contradictory to why equipment slots exist. The entire point of those equipment slots, would be for you to figure out builds within that limitation.

It would be better overall to have more interesting modifiers, that could compliment skills in different ways. Even having unique items with prefixes for specific abilities, could open up more unique builds altogether. You want the players to mix and match items with different combinations and make hard choices.

when i mentioned the swap gear in your inventory i did not mean for it to sound good, i would consider having that during pvp to be unsportmans for lack of better words. same with keeping potions in your inventory is considered cheaty when dueling

when it comes to charms and space i was talking about stuff like attack rating and faster run/walk those things are not always something you can get easily, some characters dont gain much AR from the stats and frw isent something you can throw stat points at. so if you wanna do more be more than everyone else you need to sacrifice something they wont. if you wanna win a marathon you do more training and have less free time, than those who just wanna run the marathon those who just run the marathon because they like it and arent competeting have more time to spend on other things, same goes for charms, those who wanna do the best they can possible do will willingly sacrifice the scarce inventory and they will be rewarded for that… if you make a charm inventory for example there will no longer be that sacrifice and that just seems sad, it only make it a no need for effort and sacrifice to gain something, nothing is free :slight_smile: and i like it like that, and im sure many do. there is a feeling that can only be gotten from your own efforts and sacrifices, wether its time or space, its a risk/reward scenario you dont get anything without a sacrifice and it has always been that way, atleast with what is worth getting…

i kinda like sparring with you like this :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Being able to spam potions is pretty unbalanced and they should probably have added a cooldown to those things. It’s not like the game is hard enough that you need to keep chugging potions all the time.

You should also be able to tell when someone used a potion during pvp, so you can just stop having duels with them for being cheap. It’s not like the charms are the actual issue here, no one would want to duel with a cheaters anyways.

You shouldn’t need charms for attack rating when the game could be balanced properly to begin with. Like making dexterity important or giving attack rating bonuses on equipment like weapons helmets, rings or gloves. Or making sure the attack rating on abilities scales properly, so that the player isn’t wasting their points in redundant abilities.

And faster/run should be stackable already with items like Valkyrie Wing, Peasant Crown, Hawkmail, The Cats Eye and Mavina’s Belt. As well as the many boots you will find. You also have class skills like Vigor for Paladin, Burst of Speed for Assasin and Increased Speed for Barbarian. The Necromancer has Decrepify while the Amazon, Druid and Sorceress have Cold abilities to slow targets. So pretty much everyone has a way to modify speed somehow by making different builds.

If you made a charm inventory you could actually do more with the game. You could make a smaller charm inventory about 4x4, then create a tetris mechanic with both vertical and horizontal charms, which could be used to block other charms from being equipped. Then you have the option to add unique prefixes that can’t be equipped at the same time making these choices harder again.

You could have increased damage on horizonal charms and pierce resistances on virtical charms. Or you could even have skill augmentation for class abilities like adding multi-shot to firebolt or increasing fireballs aoe slightly, which adds more dynamics to the game. Then you have actually made the charms both unique and interesting, while giving players another option to mix and match things.

3 Likes

Oh man you really had me there until Tetris and sideways charms. This was an a+ joke post. Quality right here, starts out serious and BAM it hits you in the last bit.

Nice :point_up: :+1:

2 Likes

much easier to find than runes for your enigma\infinity\etc.

nobody, at least a little bit competent, does.
There is no choice. Full inventory of charms. Always.
If you don’t run it you’re either a noob, a person that enjoys handicapping themselves for no reason, or pretend to be one to deny noobs from getting on your level. In the end there is no choice, never was, never will be.

We already know what difference to gameplay it would make, original classic d2 welcomes you to see it.

5 Likes

Or you could actually make them tetris pieces and give the option to rotate them. Then have different bonuses on different shapes, making the charm inventory something fun. Since tetris shapes are basically 4 blocks in different patterns, you could have smaller ones with regular bonuses that fill in gaps.

Oh I legit thought you were joking…you’re not seriously thinking this would be a good addition the the standard edition of D2R do you?

Please tell me you’re proposing ideas for a mod, because this is clearly not a serious idea for D2R. Charms are great as they are, if they changed the game that drastically I’d be out for sure.

Again, maybe on a separate server where they specifically state We’re changing things up every ladder and doing all sorts of different stuff I’d be perfectly fine with it. As the standard edition, Blizzard would become a sad meme if they added something like that.

1 Like

Nope, not joking. I think the current charms are dumb. I’ll propose my thoughts openly, but blizzard will just do whatever they want. That’s perfectly acceptable, because it’s their intellectual property.

I’m all for Charm Inventory and a larger Chest similar to D3, where there are multiple tabs.

I never used the cube with almost full inventory of charms.

It’s way too much trouble using the cube like that.

1 Like

I agree with this statement that it should be charm only and charms should only function there. I really not a fan of how most mods implement it. I’d like it to be very visible clicky bag in the inventory that says charm bag when you mouse over it. I’d also like it to be some thing you unlock space in as you defeat difficulties.

3 Likes