Charm Inventory

Oh I’m not arguing whether it’s popular, I’m just saying if you have enough changes, it becomes a different game.

If you start telling a D2 player that you, too, enjoy D2 and they look at you funny when you start talking about endgame maps and corruption, don’t be surprised, it’s not D2.

I actually don’t like the mapping in there too much tbh. They’re too long for my taste haha. Corruption is nice, but I think D2 is fine without it.

1 Like

Kinda how I feel about a charm inv. It’s nice, but d2 can go without it

2 Likes

Wrong, completely different and bad logic and you should feel bad. MULE creates an extra stash, cube sacrifices the (2x2 btw…) charm space which is a trade off IE NOT a workaround. Holding charms is a trade off for managing inventory space, this was by design and is intended.

Personally, I wouldn’t really care if they added a charm inventory or not. But it would make the game considerably easier which is probably not a good thing.

2 Likes

That’s actually complicated and inefficient.
Just give your character a white Short Bow and use an Ench Sorc to buff your damage to 5k.

The tiny bit of damage you can get out of charms on low levels won’t be noticeable in the slightest cause everything dies with 1 hit anyways :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep, he is right. Please, consider this.

2 Likes

I am curious, how does having more free inventory space to pick up drops make the game considerably easier as opposed to not being able to pick anything up?

2 Likes

Being able to hold more potions and possible gear swapping mid-game with the extra space.

Arpg’s don’t really take much skill to begin with, just dedication (which can be sped up if you can pick up more loot). It’s just that if you keep streamlining the content what you end up with is D3. There’s a reason D2 is the best arpg ever made.

The only time D2 takes skill is speed running, and inventory management is especially important then.

1 Like

How could it possibly not? It completely eliminates the intended trade-off of charms to begin with. Not only will end game have full inv of skillers/lifers/anni/torch during pvm, but even from the beginning people will hold on to every trash charm they come across because there is no penalty to keeping it. So at every stage characters will have more hp/mp/fhr/frw/resist/damage/etc… AND have extra space to stack potions in the inventory while keeping enough space to snag items. Can you really not understand how much easier that is? You must be trolling.

1 Like

Oh man…imagine people running around with 100 skillers. It’s just crazy. There’s a reason the more powerful charms take up 3 slots. Inventory on the character is part of the decision process when building your character, especially where charms are concerned.

Now, if they had a separate tab in stash for them, I’d be OK with that. but not on the character.

I wanted to show my enthusiasm for a separate charm inventory. In a game that is based on finding loot, doesn’t it make sense to be able to pick up as much loot as possible?

Different mods have included a separate part of the inventory dedicated to charms, but I think it would be nicer if it was some sort of bag you carry (like the cube) that you stuff charms into. You could make it a drop from a quest, like Blood Raven or something.

4 Likes

Yes please! Just make sure you can’t double up and use both your inventory and the charm storage.

4 Likes

I am not trolling, I am trying to understand. I have not played D2 all that much and my interest for it peaked when I saw Resurrected. Sorry if it came across as a troll.

I can understand how the early and mid game will be affected by just keeping every charm you find and not having to be selective about it, but I still struggle to see how it makes the game easier at late game. Snagging items is not something I would consider part of the difficulty curve. My character will not be immune to death or take less damage or in any way that I can think of make the game easier for me just because I have room to pick up more items before having to TP back to town. I don’t understand this logic.

The potion part I can somewhat follow, although it seems like a very minor difficulty shift overall. I don’t think the game will be much easier having extra potions in the inventory, rather it just saves you having to TP back to town less frequently and allows you to actually do content for longer stretches. Seems more like convenience than difficulty to me.
Although in a few extreme cases where you are locked in by monsters and your potion belt empties out and you are not able to get a TP down in a position where you can click it without taking addition hits, having extra potions in the inventory could save your life - I can see that happening. But that feels like a fringe case scenario. And certainly not what I would call “considerably easier gameplay”, unless we are talking hardcore. It could have a potentially much greater impact there.

3 Likes

I completely agree! It seems like some of these people have a problem with convenience…

2 Likes

The inventory size: Blizzard considered changing this as a modern quality of life update, but decided against it. “One of the things that’s really different in D2 compared to contemporary [action-RPGs] is you’re not pulling 70 weapons out of your backpack at any point in time,” Fergusson said. “You had a very limited inventory. We had lots of discussions about: Should we increase the inventory size? It’s one of the places where we felt that that was a bridge too far. It was part of the makeup of the game. The fact that you collect charms that make your character stronger but are eating up your inventory space, it gives you this tension of ‘do I want that +15% magic find at the cost of three slots in my inventory?’ Those were interesting and meaningful decisions while you’re playing. The idea of, ‘this will be great for quality of life’ became ‘no no, we’re actually breaking the game mechanics.’”

(from pcgamer[dot]com/diablo-2-resurrected-release-date-alpha-changes)

I totally agree with this vision.

1 Like

I agree that many posters on here confuse convenience with difficulty, and often wrongly state it in arguments against a charm inventory (and also when arguing against personal loot for what it’s worth).

I think the more accurate description is to say that charms are meant to be a tradeoff between the two. The game is easier for someone who is loaded up on charms, but less convenient. It’s more convenient to save space for loot and/or stock up on potions, but in return it’s harder for you to kill things. I guess it’s debatable whether having that particular tradeoff is good game design, but that’s the intent. I personally don’t have a problem with it, and I don’t think there should be a charm inventory. I’ll still buy and play D2R if they put it in, but I think it’s better if players are forced to make a call between inventory space and power.

2 Likes

I mean, is it actually an important trade off if the majority of people still practically fill their inventory with charms though?

1 Like

A fair question, to which I answer yes because it’s still a decision they are making. And there are degrees, right? For example, what do “majority” and “practically” mean in your question? “Majority” could mean nearly everyone, or it could mean half plus one. That’s a big difference.

“Practically” could mean a lot of things too, especially when you start getting into just how big a charm inventory should be. Does “practically” mean every slot minus room for the Cube and a TP book? Or does it mean leaving room enough for one drop? Or does it mean the space that would be filled by the charms an average player would reasonably be expected to find and use, which is likely to be very different from that of a “hardcore” player (not talking about the game mode)?

With all of those variables, how do you then decide on a fair size for the charm inventory? Some people say it should be 4x10 just like the regular inventory but that seems a bit much to me.

I admit this is a little about “feel” for me. Not something I can really quantify other than to say I think it would detract from the game. With that said, I’m not so strongly opposed to it that it would bother me greatly if they put it in. But if given a vote I would vote no.

1 Like

Just use cube to put stuff in when u find new stuff. then go town put in storage, and go back out hunt. Just gotta get used to this method.

1 Like

where the heck are u getting “100” from… it would be 9 skillers and a torch…

a charm inventory would be 4x10, it couldn’t be ANY other side without affecting balance…

1 Like