Character freezing in multiplayer greater rift

First off, I can play Diablo 3 multiplayer rift, bounty, etc. without issue yet when I run multiplayer greater rifts my character will randomly freeze for periods of up to approximately ten seconds. I’ve reinstalled my game, checked dxdiag which showed no problems, etc. - the only problem I can think of is when I first start the game in sixty four bit is the typical D3D Error which seems to be more of a nuisance than anything else. I can click “OK” on the error and the game runs. For the record this issue persist with thirty two bit as well.
I have this GPU installed in my pc: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060 Super

Model #: ROG-STRIX-RTX2060S-A8G-GAMING

System Information report written at: 10/22/20 22:32:08
System Name: DESKTOP
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7A20
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1.40, 6/15/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer MSI
BaseBoard Product X99A GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A20)
BaseBoard Version 1.0
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “10.0.19041.488”
User Name DESKTOP
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 24.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 26.7 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Hi:

There is currently an issue with some systems using Windows 10 Build 19041; see this topic :

One way of verifying whether you have the same issue is to check your D3Debug.txt file (default path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\x64) for occurrences of FMOD errors; typically, players are finding several lines that will contain “FMOD Error sound not ready in 200ms”.

If this is happening to you too, you should note that Blizzard has acknowledged that issue. The last post by Blizzard is dated 10 Sept :

The only reliable way of bypassing this issue is replacing the fmodex64.dll file by another one (see details in the topic linked above); players have used the fmodex64.dll file from Starcraft II, from Heroes of the Storm, and elsewhere. A side-effect of this bypass is that Diablo III will lose its sound… all sounds.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply, apparently I wasn’t using the correct keywords in my search query - my apologies. This is problematic. I don’t want to lose my sound. I’ll tinker with this.

1 Like

Hi… good luck with the tinkering…

Ensure you have the latest update (19041.508 ??) – there were a lot of errors in the first version that shipped.

Or, can you revert back to Windows 10 build 1909 ? at least until Blizzard has found a solution to the issue… not ideal, but…