Character expiration should still exist

This should still be left in the game.How many times did you come back to Diablo 2 over your 2 decade play and restart the fun again? Countless times for me and I think it should still exists.Of course most probably wont agree.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make any sense lol.

Even if it says “expired” all you have to do is log into the character.

2 Likes

I put this into the self inflicted issue category, like saying you need more room for charms because you keep stuffing yourself with charmss.

I would rather they keep them and have a purge option than purge them after a period of time.

What if I slipped into a coma for the hold period and came back then…not only did I loose a year of my life but lost my d2r characters.

:slight_smile:

Edit: said runes for some reason.

You would have lost the whole account in the original D2. Account expired and was deleted after 90 days inactivity :smiley: Now you’d get the joy of repurchasing :smiley:

1 Like

But to me it was yesterday and life just robbed me of joy :slight_smile:

Dunno why I had that random thought as an example but worked out heh.

Think of it as a second chance, you get to enjoy buying the game for the “first time” again lol

1 Like

How about the random start, a button you can hit that wipes all characters and makes a new character with a random amount of beginner and later items based.on amount/strength of consumed.

Either let you choose class and then you have some items waiting you can plan towards or random all.

This is a complete tangent, not really suggesting but ideas.

Well it also helps filter out a bunch of extra loot from people having to restart keeping the economy in check, well like it did in D2 before the bots.If they can keep them under control and did that your items would retain value.Oh yeah as for the new account,the comment must have been from someone that never played vanilla d2 considering you could make as many accounts as you wanted.

I’d wind up being given a random druid with all their points in fire skills, in nightmare, and it already used my respecs :smiley:

Well that’s more random then I meant heh more you start fresh but have a stash of items waiting for you.

The expiring characters removing items is also a good call…I have a few issues with how many items will be flooding a never sinking economy…but that’s another story.

With there being a limit to characters and stash space outside of spending $40 for each extra account, that will take care of itself. The drop rate isn’t that high, and people aren’t going to be holding onto what I’d assume is about 98% of the items they see.

How about blizz introducing the aging aspect. So after like 1000 real hours of playtime you can only fight with your walking stick and after you lose the fight your character turns into ashes and tadaaaa… another char slot is free :coffin:

Yeah I didnt even think about that

Having permanent chars is good for the player, there is no reason to think it is not. If you want to start again you can do it even if you have 10x 99 chars already.

People collected items for over a dacade in this game, that is a huge effort, as you can imagine. Some of those lost all their stuff because they forgot to refresh their toons during a period of inactivity in a 10y+ time gap, I cant imagine why someone would be against a measure to prevent this.

My walking stick has +3 cold skills, +3 frozen orb, +3 cold mastery, 20% fcr, and deez nuts. Bring it on :smiley:

Ive been in the same boat,but thats justit.When I lost it all I had another reason to play the game again and grind and all that good stuff.

I dont know what you lost and im happy you still kept playing the game after losing your stuff. But you know 99% wont be happy if that happens and would prefer a measure to prevent this.

I actually think the loss of items and characters and restarting and all that is actually what kept players coming back.All of my friends almost played Diablo 2 and have lost accounts and they kept going back.Or didnt play for a year and restarted and got into it with Baal runs,Mfing and everything to get there good account going again.Coming back to an already filled account cuts out 80% of why we play or played diablo 2.What fun is there coming back to Diablo 2 a year later for example but like when you left you didnt really have anything to do but maybe some baal runs and finding out all the items you grinded previously lost all its value cause now everyone has them cause players didnt expire.Wont be in effect when the game launches but for its lifespan it will.

Nah. If you want a fresh start, then play ladder or else feel free to delete your characters and start over.

3 Likes

F this. Nah, leave character expiration out.

I have kept my 2003, account live for years and frankly, it was a Pain in the Neck. I dont want to deal with that nonsense in D2R.

I love my old characters, but I might finally be ok letting my old ones expire, if I am happy with how D2R is at and after launch.

2 Likes