Captain Crimson's Trimmings

I’m Paragon 1,200 on S19 on PS4 and had no Captain Crimsons either.

A trick I learned was to complete 5 bounties in one act, get the cache reward, stash it, create a new Level 1 toon and open the cache reward from the stash.

It contained the plans I was missing from my P1200 toon.

Note that it’s been officially stated that the new plan, Captain Crimson’s Trimmings, indeed has a low drop rate.

Regardless of the Blizzard statement regarding low drop chance, if players have failed to obtain the plan within 200 caches that’s a ridiculously low drop rate.

We’ve had evidence in this thread that if your high level hero isn’t getting recipes any more, farming some caches and then opening them on a level 1 hero gets the plans to drop. If it’s not a bug, why does that work so often?

1 Like

I didn’t get it until well over 200 bounties caches. It finally dropped when I had collected 55 caches so I could get the avarice conquest for Guardian.

What level are the plans if you do that?

It’s also been reported that this trick doesn’t work for everyone; it certainly didn’t for me :unamused:

That said, I could understand if it had a lower drop chance and would likely be your last GUARANTEED plan drop, but one set of plans not following the same rules as all the others just doesn’t make sense.

So, just how rare are the Captain Crimson plans? Well, let’s look at examples…

005 caches - This is how many I needed in Season 19
030 caches - This is how many I needed non-seasonal
200 caches - This is how many some people have claimed in threads

Blizzard have said that the drop chance of the plan is low but how low?

Well, let’s run some numbers with various hypothetical drop chances and see how likely it should be that you’d still be missing the plans after each number of caches.

25% drop chance
Chance an individual cache will not contain the plan = 0.75
Chance that none of X caches will contain the plan = (0.75)^X
Chance that none of 5 caches will contain the plan = (0.75)^5 = 0.237
Chance that none of 30 caches will contain the plan = (0.75)^30 = 0.000179
Chance that none of 200 caches will contain the plan = (0.75)^200 = 0.000000000000000000000000103

10% drop chance
Chance an individual cache will not contain the plan = 0.9
Chance that none of X caches will contain the plan = (0.9)^X
Chance that none of 5 caches will contain the plan = (0.9)^5 = 0.590
Chance that none of 30 caches will contain the plan = (0.9)^30 = 0.0424
Chance that none of 200 caches will contain the plan = (0.9)^200 = 0.000000000706

5% drop chance
Chance an individual cache will not contain the plan = 0.95
Chance that none of X caches will contain the plan = (0.95)^X
Chance that none of 5 caches will contain the plan = (0.95)^5 = 0.774
Chance that none of 30 caches will contain the plan = (0.95)^30 = 0.215
Chance that none of 200 caches will contain the plan = (0.95)^200 = 0.0000351

1% drop chance
Chance an individual cache will not contain the plan = 0.99
Chance that none of X caches will contain the plan = (0.99)^X
Chance that none of 5 caches will contain the plan = (0.99)^5 = 0.951
Chance that none of 30 caches will contain the plan = (0.99)^30 = 0.740
Chance that none of 200 caches will contain the plan = (0.99)^200 = 0.134

So, it’s not until we get down to 1% drop chances that being unable to obtain the pattern in 200 caches even approaches likely. Is the drop chance of the recipe really as low as 1%? Is it deemed reasonable by Blizzard that over one in eight players would still be without the recipe after 200 caches, i.e. 40 full bounty clearances?

If we assume players do the bounty clearances in a split group and each clearance takes fifteen minutes, that means after running bounties for ten hours straight, more than one in eight players would still be missing the plan.

Either this drop rate needs to be increased, or you need to revert caches to dropping 1-2 plans which you don’t yet have with a 100% drop chance because the current situation is ludicrous.

If you can’t find a plan after ten straight hours of bounties, the drop chance is way, way too low.

You got the cache on your level 70 toon but opened it on your level 1 toon thus you get the plans you are missing that your level 70 toon does not have.

Yet it has for many people.

I’d say it is bugged if I can’t find it at P1200 but get it first cache on the level 1 toon.

I’m not disagreeing. For the unlucky ones who can’t the plans even WITH that trick, I can only assume that there’s something else going wrong.

Yeah but are the plans for level 70 items or lower?

They are Level 70 because you get the cache with your level 70 toon.

1 Like

Mine dropped yesterday from my second bounty cache.

I completed all Act I and II bounties on my Crusader. Stored the two caches in my stash. Switched to my fresh lv 70 Necromancer and opened both caches.

Platform: Xbox One
Paragon: 1400+

I hope this info helps.