Cancel D4 & Remaster D2 (Legit Reasoning)

“Listen to this community where 0.45% of its population is active!”

Let’s also not pretend that the D2 diehards haven’t crawled out of the woodwork to tell Blizzard how to do their job. Pretty much anything to be said has been said, with much of what has been said completely out of touch with gaming and how it’s both learned and evolved in the past 2 decades. The game wasn’t perfect. It’s not a master class in anything. It just happened to be in the right place at the right time with no real competition. A simple graphical update changes none of that. Of course, the moment you actually start fixing the broken systems, the same diehards will cry foul.

In the end, some of us would prefer an entirely new game. Coincidentally, some of us also recognize that a game where a more casual player can both play and not be a detriment isn’t a bad thing, as new content releases at a decent pace are going to garner more interest than just forcing people to do the same things 10x longer instead. I’d also posit that’s exactly why you only have 0.45% activity above. D2 hasn’t changed.

5 Likes

Totally agree with them screwing it up and about Keyblade.

3 Likes

If you’re not interested in D2 why are you replying to this thread?

Why are you posting about D2 in a D3 forum?

Like it or not, “Make D4 its own thing!” is just as valid as demanding Blizzard waste resources on a literal D2 clone with a facelift.

6 Likes

Read my original post.

1 Like

And reread mine.

Convincing Blizzard to invest millions on a consumer base of 10,000, if being generous and more than doubling active other-site population that isn’t rooted in RMT, is a sales pitch you have yet to land.

Otherwise, look around. We’ve had threads about D4’s aesthetics, the class choices, the skill systems, itemization, trade, frikkin inventory tetris, BS about realism, and then some. All these D2 fanboys, and yes, that isn’t praise, have swarmed like locusts to these very topics to try and convince Blizzard that their own personal interpretation of what’s good is what they should be doing. And I stand behind my earlier sentiment that a good amount of such feedback is grossly ignorant because what one likes isn’t always what’s best for a game/community.

5 Likes

It won’t cost 60 USD.

It will cost 13.37

1 Like

I would rather play a new game than something I already played for 7+ years and uplifted graphics aint gonna change that.

I have my concerns about D4 but its way too early to judge.
Most likely I will have my fun with it anyway unlike a remastered D2 which I would drop fast cause I already know it and played it to death.
+I wouldn’t pay full price either.

1 Like

Does Starcraft Remastered move that franchise forward? No, it doesn’t.

Does Warcraft 3 Reforged move that franchise forward? No, it doesn’t.

D2 Remastered is in the same boat.

The whole point of a remastered game is to bring an old classic up to current technical standards so those who still want to play it as it was designed can do so on modern hardware and software. While the game will look prettier and have various other improvements, the gameplay is exactly the same which is hardly “moving forward”.

Moving forward in the proper sense would be bringing in something entirely new and exciting, something that can have a huge positive impact on the franchise.

Couldn’t care less about D2 Remastered. But cancelling D4 in favor of D2 Remastered…stupid idea.

4 Likes

dude, I’m going to pop a bubble here for you

most developers aren’t going to be as good at their own game as their most dedicated players

they probably play it in the office and never at home, because they built it, they know it more intimately than anyone

No, GOG has Hellfire.

I would imagine it’s precisely because they’re not interested in D2 that they don’t want Blizzard to waste time and money on re-releasing it.

4 Likes

It’s tragic that you don’t realize it’s the same thing. It’s more tragic how few corporations realize it. People unsatisfied with products don’t buy them. They look for alternatives.

Yeah, well they “remastered” D1 and it didn’t change a thing. The only difference in my original D1 and GOG’s “remastered” version is: When I play GOG’s Diablo/Hellfire, it runs at 1440 x 1080, which is still 4:3 aspect ratio.

But, the graphics look exactly the same. And there has been no changes in the game itself, that I can detect. I could have saved myself the extra cost, because my original D1 still plays just fine, even on my current gaming rig.

And yes, I still play D1, D2 and D3.

Don’t even really want to bother with the OP, I mean if you don’t give new games a chance, then you can play D2 all day for the rest of your life and you should be fine.

I do want to say though, that people, who say, that D2 was dead, don’t understand, that these old games can’t really die, since they have an offline singleplayer… So people will always reinstall it and have some good time with the good old D2. In that sense, D2 will even survive D4, because in 30 years or whatever, there will be no servers for D4 and you will not be able to play it anymore, but some people will still play D2 singleplayer.

Nah. Give me both D4 and D2 Remaster.

3 Likes

D2 was and still is a great game and I would surely like to see a remaster but, for me, it needs 4 things for it to work.

1. Improved graphics
  2. Instance loot
  3. Bind to account all Runewords and Unique items
  4. Get rid of bots.

Most fans of d2 want and think there is a great economy existing out of this game. Having instance loot and bound to account gets rid of jsp and online stores.

This my hope for it anyway.

Just wait until the D2 remaster happens and they close the old D2 servers down. Then watch them complain because of some changes that had to happen to make the run on widescreen monitors.

1 Like

Meh. I don’t really care for remasters, remakes, or whatever else they do with bringing old games to today. I frankly find it to be a waste of resources. I understand some people may have missed out and others want modern conveniences, but I’d rather devs focus on new games and moving forward with new ideas.

I understand your nostalgia pain, but it comes from clinging to D2, not because Blizz does smth wrong in current development. D2 remaster won’t help you. It will be that same 2-d sprited-graphics game with everything old and known and nothing to do after beating hell Baal. Making entirely new game (plot, bosses, acts, classes, skills, etc) on 2d Diablo2 engine is really a bad idea. And NO 3d game will ever capture that feeling of 2d Diablo 1 or Diablo 2, this is impossible.

D4 reminds D3 if one were to look at the surface. This is because 1) animations in D4 are as smooth as in D3 2) Physics in D4 is as good as in D3. 3) This game is also built on 3d engine. Everything else is different. Graphics is VASTLY superior. And no 3d Diablo game will ever look like D2. Even if Blizz wanted that to happen and would pursue such a goal, this is impossible because of 2d/3d difference.

So, just let it go .)

2 Likes