Can we get in game voice chat?

I think this is one modern aspect the game could benefit from. I understand that maybe we don’t need this in the PC version, but I think it may be essential for console community play.

I can’t imagine it would be easy to have conversations with other players in public games on consoles through game messaging, and inviting randoms to a party is also a hassle.

I think it’s important to encourage the same level of socialization on console play, and in game voice chat is an important step to make that happen.

I can understand voiding this feature for the PC version, but please make it happen for consoles.

4 Likes

With regard to PC this has already been discussed. PC has Voice Chat because Battlenet 2.0 does by default. You might have to alt tab to the launcher to manage it (much like Discord), but it works well.

See this thread from earlier today.

2 Likes

I appreciate the information, but I believe this doesn’t address the issue of having an ‘in game’ voice chat when playing in pubs. I don’t want to have to add everyone into a chat every game I join, I think it would be nice to just have voice chat activated as an option in the game instance itself, I hope this is something that can be considered at some point.

4 Likes

I love this idea as well. It’s kind of weird to get into a game and try adding everyone via battlenet especially people you may not know. It takes away from the immersion and doesn’t encourage that community building.

From a technical point of view I could see how this could have a lot of overhead.
It would be awesome if Blizzard built an inGameVoice Feature Module that could be imported to any of their future or existing game that would allow for this kind of behavior with variables for reskinning.

Setting up this in game voice feature is bound to come up again and again for other games so financially it makes sense to build this behavior once in a general way. I love what they did with Blizzard 2.0 and how they built this general infrastructure, and this kind of implementation should be encouraged for common features that all games could have then they don’t have to rebuild the wheel every time and gives the dev’s time to focus on the core of the game not something that comes up for every game + it also standardizes this pattern so developer working on one game can switch between projects and carry their knowledge instead of seeing different patterns for same implementation.

1 Like

Rumor has it from some screenshots that D4 will indeed have an in game voice chat, it wouldn’t be far fetched for them to implement this same system in D2R. If anything it would be a great way for them to test this new feature.

I just want a global chat so I can talk to everyone without going to the lobby. :slight_smile:

1 Like