Blog post thoughts

For those who are asking for SSF league:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/ev9bfa/d3_developer_insights_balancing_and_class_set/ffur081/?context=3

[–]Nevalistis Community Manager 18 points 2 days ago
This is where this discussion has always gotten interesting for me.

What currently stops someone who only wants to play alone from playing alone right now? Is it the leaderboards? The thing where you’re actively playing against other people to compete? :wink: (Forgive me, I’m a little cheeky today.)

The nature of competition means you aren’t ever really playing alone, because you’re still opting to measure your efforts against someone else’s. If anything, the request is really for an SSF leaderboard rather than an actual mode. That’s a wholly different request, and one that’s difficult for different reasons (largely has to do with databases and long-term storage issues; I can’t get into details, but there’s a reason only the last several Seasons/Eras are tracked in-game).

It also comes down to supply/demand and resource management (i.e., us choosing our battles). Fulfilling this request is one that would take a lot of time and a ton of resources, and we don’t have data suggesting that a majority of players would want or use this feature. Most of our data suggest players want more content, more items to chase, and more Seasons (with more new rewards).

Making the choice between the two, given limited resources, seems pretty evident.

1 Like

If that is correct I agree. I am not sure. I read somewhere that there are quite a lot of people who do not play seasons and some that play to get the rewards and go back to normal play?

See above - If you are correct that makes sense but again, I am not sure without Blizzard supplying a close to exact average over a year of how many people regularly play each on any given 3-month period. I do not think they will somehow.

1 Like

For that table they wrote it is for LBs only.

Just an idea: maybe they weighted #1 clear more than #1000 clear?

I don’t plan to play hide and seek with Blizzard. If they don’t want to be more transparent I can’t do anything about it.

Edit: Whole blog post does not mean much to me. The point of blog post should have been to explain how and why they are balancing so we know what to expect. But since they did not really explain how they scale data we can’t reproduce results. I expected some examples on scaling. Not exact formula but at least written explanation for some examples. So we will not be able to know if something we consider balanced / unbalanced is considered as such by Blizzard also. Blog post did not help with bringing Community and Blizzard on same page when we speak about balance.

From theory stand-point I do agree with most things they wrote. It is common sense. Was not surprised.

At least I know that I should be clearing 130+ easy with my skill/paragon/gear.

Kind request please? It saves asking during PTR.

PLEASE reset the PTR leaderboards prior to access. Everyone, you, me, all the devs and population at large playing gets a much better idea of how classes sit.
Thanks for listening. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Leaderboards have data about date and time when GR was finished. They can sort out DB using this column.

SELECT * FROM lb_era12_barb WHERE date >= DateTimeStamp

For us it is a lot harder. Blizzard be user friendly please :slight_smile:

Well, lies go well at the reddit folks, but we are not the average reddit poster here.

Maybe we get a forum post follow-up when they release the PTR?

Just follow them please,i trust you。

So everything is a lie if it was something that you don’t like to hear?

What my preferences has to do with something being a lie?

It’s a one day work to add an SSF ladder in this game - every programmer can tell you that if you don’t believe me. The reason why they are not adding it is something else and I want to know that so we draw conclusion about their game philosophies - do they want more LBs or not?

It has nothing to do with your preference. You calling her a liar because you don’t accept that she said that current D3 is lack of resources to do all things.

No, she is a liar because adding an SSF ladder takes one day of work:

• Make the grouping achievement Seasonal
  • Make a LB checking for Seasonal grouping achievement earned status

That is what you believed, not them.

It’s not about what I believe - I wrote you the exact way to do this - ask some programmer how much time it takes for that. It has nothing to do with “databases and long-term storage issues” and it won’t “take a lot of time and a ton of resources”.

You are currently believing her words rather than mine, so if you want to find out the truth find a programmer (if you have such friend) and ask him how much time it takes for the two points I mentioned to get implemented in the game.

Also, if what I am saying is a lie or not accurate the blues are free to explain why it is so. I am not holding their hands atm preventing them from posting at the forum.

Of course I believed over a guy who is part or close to the team development who knew what is going on inside the team than a random poster in D3 forum. Also, whether she is lying or not, it is pretty much certain that they have no interest to create SSF league.

4 Likes

I’ll give you one precious advice in life - don’t believe blindly what the authority is saying to you. Make what you want from it.

That’s crucial for me however - I am not accepting a communication compromised by lies.

and neither I should believe a word from random posters too unless he has evidence to support his claims like insider info and etc.

Good for you.

You don’t need insider info to know that 2+2 = 4. If you were a programmer you would know that what I wrote is like 2+2. That’s why I told you to ask a friend who is and not blindly believe what is told to you by the blues (like the reddit folks do).

Adding SSF is not a real solution. Just a band-aid.
Fix the actual issue here; the efficiency imbalance between group and solo-play.

1 Like

There is no actual issue however - all is working fine - groups should be more rewarding than solo play.

Nah, they should not.
I mean, it is okay if they are sligtly ahead, as a “safety measure” to make sure solo does not get ahead. But like Blizzard seemingly want class balance to be within ~15%, solo vs group should also be within 15% of each other - with groups being the one ahead. So 1-2 GRift difference at most.

1 Like