Barbs in 2.7: Community Discussion

Yes, it’s true. Though Remorseless does require you to fill up 2 skill slots on the bar to get the bonus, and Gavel also returns Fury on your low-target hits.

Another plus of loading that bonus into Remorseless is that it’ll actually make LON/LOD HOTA viable too. And, technically, R6 HOTA can use it too, though as I pointed out in my first post in this thread, it would be super-hard to play, since you’d need to drop a skill off the bar in order to use COTA. And that means dropping TS:Demoralize, which ruins your grouping, or dropping IP, which makes you incredibly fragile.

Haha, yeah, I feel ya, brother! I’ve got a solid ancient and a primal sitting in my stash!

No problem man, I guess we’ll see what we get!

Thanks, MB… but, I’ll just stick with some of that tea you’re always mentioning. I am a teetotaler (or a tea-totaler, if you will)…

:trumpet:

(no trombone emoji, sadly)

Great work here Barbros. Would love to see other builds ramped to be on par or a tick below our top clears.

Just wondering do we need to look at some of the damage reduction required for some of these playstyles? Pro Slam vs WW Rend is chalk n cheese. Pro Slam in HC is a tuff gig to stay alive compared to WW Rend.

Also - it may be an old one that I always seem to dig up but could Lut Socks please be part of the MotE set like they were always meant to be? This would have multiple help for MotE/SS builds. What could the new Lut Socks be? Who knows discuss away.

Sadly, I can no longer embed…
https://i.imgflip.com/4a38cj.jpg

Haha, thanks MB!

Sorry about your TL3. The requirements are so silly…

Hey Bastich, good to see you man!

I’m kind of surprised you have survival problems with Slam. When I play it I have a godly amount of toughness. What setup do you use?

I talked about some options for extra mitigation here.

I got ya.

Earl Grey though? Oof. I’m partial to Lapsang Souchong myself. Tastes like you’re drinking a fire.

Thanks, Tinne. Are you from the US? I know MB is from across the pond, so it’s no surprise he’s an Earl Grey man. I feel like Lapsang is actually a very American taste… like, the answer to “what if you could barbecue a tea?” (Or, as you say, like drinking a fire). Lucky for me, I love both and don’t need to choose between them!

Question: what would you say to putting together a set of recommendations for Wizard buffs? We’ve been kicking ideas and numbers for Barb around in this thread, and the DHs are being very active, too. I feel like it would be a great thing if there could be a single page in General Discussion that perhaps has links to threads for each class, in which coherent ideas and numbers for buffs are discussed. I know you’ve played a good deal of wiz, and you are obviously really good with the mechanics and the numbers, so I can’t think of anybody better suited to do the job.

You could build the recommendations along whatever lines you think are best. For the Barb stuff I think we’ve been aiming towards relative simplicity, while the DHs are taking a bit more hands-on approach. So, y’know- whatever you want, as long as the ideas aren’t improbably complicated and the numbers aren’t improbably large.

What do you think?

I thought about it. The problem is I don’t have a really good handle where some of our current builds are at. I have a good idea where DMO Frozen Orb is at (there was top notch clear a few eras ago we can extrapolate from), we know where Vyr’s, LoD Hydra, and Typhon’s hydra are at.

But I honestly have no idea where Tal’s meteors is at. Or Firebird’s. I could probably go back to when those were top builds and extrapolate out from that with the buffs etc. since then, but I’m not sure how accurate that will be.

I’m also fairly certain Star Pact is still possible. I think the meteor delay is 1.25 seconds and the Deathwish/Etched Sigil delay is only 1 second, so I think with some tweaking around animation lengths, it’s still possible to toss out a Star Pact, get a bit of AP, and then channel for a full second before it lands. I have no idea if that build is actually feasible to play, or what that would be capable of, so we probably have to tread carefully around Tal’s and Firebird’s buffs.

Venaliter has a thread going, so I sort of just tacked my opinions on his thread. He’s got some major item revisions that I think we’re very unlikely to see though. I feel like this balance patch will mostly just be a broad tuning to existing item affixes and set multipliers. I was thinking I should go through and focus on tweaking the numbers with that in mind. I’ll try and sit down on Monday and tackle that.

Canada. But yeah, that’s a good point.

Hey Rage

So for Pro Slam my variant gets modded by running Nerves of Steel (HC mode must) which takes away one of the 4 key components of the passives. BoM is a definite over ORotZ too. Then you add the play style which has slightly less room for misjudgment, mistakes or just me running out of talent and it gets very easy to “fall off the perch” and RIP.

Another thing with Pro Slam is also no Lut Socks which means only one leap, which can make getting out of a tough spot hard if it’s on cool down. Yes I know it’s about SS and not the EQ’s doing damage (I still play Frozen Fury so I know SS can be a powerful skill). I guess this always comes back to my squeaky wheel of incorporating Lut Socks into the MotE set. Pro Slam or any MotE build would benefit immensely from having this happen.

This brings us to “What could Lut Socks be?”

Well I that’s open for discussion and I think the Barbros here can come up with some great ideas and I feel that we could get some attention and one day the devs apply some oil to that squeaky wheel.

Personally, I’d love to see Lut Socks get something like the DH Dawn 1H Xbow - Reduce the cool down of WotB by 50-65%. It’s simple, gets MotE builds damage, damage reduction and a speed tick to try keep up with a WW build (Barb, Monk, DH etc). Yes everyone may be sick of another build using WotB but any build without Perma Zerka just fails compared to any other build.

1 Like

Was it this? d3planner.com/569585686

I’m using the latest version, with EF + Fjord + Zodiac. I’m using Zei instead of gogok.

Did you test at high GR’s, or just low? If it’s just casualties, yes, he’s stronger, but due to Striken’s stacking, WW becomes much stronger over time, so in longer fights against Boss, WW will always overtake SS

Well, isn’t that part of the appeal?

I used to play HC exclusively, before I moved out to the sticks and started getting DC’d frequently. Part of what I really liked about it was that feeling of laying everything on the line.

I get what you’re saying about Pro-Slam having certain “weak links in the chain”, where you might get frozen when WOTB is on cooldown or something, then your BoM times out, then you die. I mean, personally, I disagree: I find it way harder to stay alive with Zodiac Rend than with Slam (even running core ZR, not the CC version). But I know that not everybody is going to feel that way.

I guess the bottom line for me is: what really needs serious fixes, that are also easy to do? The “six easy changes” set of buffs I’m pitching elevates 5 (or more) builds that I’ve gotten an earful about from a lot of people. Again, personally, I don’t care about a lot of this stuff. I never really liked playing Vile Charge, as I’m unbelievably awful at it. But there are a good number of folks who miss that “classic” Barb build.

From what we can tell, the next balance patch is going to try to address issues for every class. That means a lot of work, on a lot of stuff. Believe me, there’s nothing I’d like more than to take a deep dive into every useless or underused item and come up with a sophisticated balancing scheme. But the last time Free and I did this sort of thing, we ended up with a 40 page long “Diablo Dissertation”, and most of what we recommended didn’t make it into the game. The result is what we have now: one very powerful build, and beneath that, a bunch of garbage.

So I’m really trying to focus on the big wins that are also easy wins.

Keep in mind that what we’re actually comparing is ZR killing an RG at “GR X”, and Slam killing an RG at “GR X-8 or GR X-10”.

1 Like

This is a concern for me as well. Simply put, I think the DR of H90 and Pro Slam are lacking. Neither build can achieve perma-Wrath, and thus Mortick’s isn’t a feasible solution. Slam’s MOTE bonus is beefy, and so is H90’s when all stacks are up, but this DR is conditional in a way that, for example, Rend’s is not; if there are mobs to hit, even one, you can achieve perma-Wrath (and all other conditions that grant additional DR) with Rend. With the other builds, you can get into some bad spots, and the learning curve is, in my opinion, steep.

Still, DR isn’t the biggest issue. I’d like to see H90’s DR increased, and I’d like to see the devs find a way to slot more DR into Pro Slam, but neither is a priority.

This is . . . bonkers. When Wrath and Band are active and you’re spinning, there’s no other build quite as tanky as Rend, especially when you’re critting mobs and healing.

EVERYONE:

I’m working on a full write up combined with Rage’s post. I’ll have more details shortly. Thank you for being patient. Turns out that writing a dissertation is pretty tough.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to take into account mobility and the ability to create packs. A build with low mobility and difficulties in making big packs should have greater firepower or a mobility bonus for example.

HELLO EVERYONE

Here’s a draft for you all to peruse, critique, correct, etc. Please provide feedback.

Some of the text is lifted directly from Rage’s post–Rage, are you okay with that? If not, let me know and I’ll edit accordingly.

Thank you all for your contributions and input!

Introduction

In Patch 2.6.7a, Barbarians received several noteworthy buffs, and our most popular build became stronger than ever. But while one of our builds, Zodiac Rend, has risen to sit among the strongest in the game, our other builds and sets, including our brand new set, Horde of the Ninety Savages, lags far behind Rend and Wrath of the Wastes. Players who prefer HOTA or Furious Charge can still play those builds, but compared with Rend, they will clear far lower and farm much less efficiently, even with significantly more Paragon and better gear.

Goal

The goal of this proposal is to achieve better parity between Zodiac Rend and our other 5 major builds at similar Paragon levels. To better understand the builds for which we are requesting buffs and their relationship to Greater Rift conditions, here’s a brief breakdown followed by explanations:

Build Set Build/Skill-Specific Supporting Legendaries Fishing Required
Pro Slam Might of the Earth Fjord Cutter, Bracers of Destruction Medium
Fire EQ Might of the Earth Blade of Tribes, Girdle of Giants, Lut Socks High
HOTA Immortal King’s Call Gavel of Judgment, Bracers of the First Men, Fury of the Ancients, Remorseless Medium
Vile Charge Immortal King’s Call + Legacy of Raekor Standoff, Vile Wards High
H90 Frenzy Horde of the Ninety Savages Bastion’s Revered, Undisputed Champion, Oathkeeper Low

The relationship between builds, sets, and supporting legendaries is obvious. Outside of Legacy of Dreams/Nightmares builds, sets determine builds. Less obvious is the relationship between a build and the necessary investment in fishing required to successfully push end-game Greater Rifts, here labeled as “Fishing Required.”

A build’s required level of fishing is determined by its interaction with Greater Rift conditions. Builds with a high level of fishing required must hunt for very specific conditions (maps, mob types, elite affixes, and specific Rift Guardians) in order to achieve a successful clear, while builds with low fishing requirements can achieve success with more varying rift conditions.

A different way to put it is this: Builds with low fishing requirements are able to adapt to a large variet of rift conditions, while builds with high fishing requirements require the rift conditions to be tailored to their strengths.

Fishing and Clear Potential

Builds with high fishing requirements require a much greater investment in time and resources (GR keys) than builds with low fishing requirements. As a result, we want to see high fishing builds be capable of achieving higher maximum clears, and low fishing builds be capable of higher average clears. This allows our builds to excel at different game activities (speed-farming, bounties, and group play) while also being competitive for solo Greater Rift pushing. In other words, each and every build will feel powerful and rewarding to play, and each and every build will also feel uniquely suited to better average play or better fishing.

But, in order to know how much of a buff is needed, we need to know what level these builds can clear now. So let’s walk through the numbers, build by build.

Build Breakdowns

The following information presents the highest known clears by build, and suggests a buff based on a projected desired goal. All of this is weighed against Zodiac Rend’s current best clear at GR 148. In each breakdown, we offer the simplest and most direct suggestion for buffing a build’s damage output. Complications for certain builds are discussed in more detail.

H90 Frenzy

• Current higest clear: 139
  • Target clear: 145
  • Buff required: +4 GRs / +2x damage (1.17^4 = 1.87)

H90 Frenzy is a strong and versatile build, and requires little in the way of buffs. The +4 GRs / 2x damage needed by this build can come through a buff to H90(6).

Current H90(6) multiplier of 101x * 2.0 = 202x, i.e. H90(6) increased from 10000% to 20000%.

This gives H90 Frenzy the +4 GRs it needs.

Pro Slam

• Current higest clear: 138
  • Target clear: 146
  • Buff required: +6 GRs / +2.5x damage (1.17^6 = 2.56)

Buffs for this build are addressed by the increased damage of MOTE(6) discussed in the Fire EQ section below.

Fire EQ

• Current higest clear: 130
  • Target clear: 148
  • Buff required: +15 GRs / +10.5x damage (1.17^15 = 10.54)

The first +6 GRs / 2.5x damage can come from a direct buff to MOTE(6), as this will solve the issues of Pro-Slam as well.

Current MOTE(6) multiplier of 201x * 2.5 = 502.5, i.e. MOTE(6) increased from 20000% to 50000%.

Fire Leap still needs another +9 GRs, and the best way to achieve this is to update Blade of the Tribes. Currently, the damage bonus to the Earthquake skill on this item is in the dibs category, and is additive with various other bonuses, such as Threatening Shout: Falter and Battle Rage. When combined, these add up to around a 3.65x multiplier (100 Base + 200 Tribes + 25 Falter + 30 rolls on chest\shoulder + 10 Battle Rage).

So, we need to go from the equivalent of 365 damage to 1500 damage (i.e. +9 GRs. 1.17^9 * 365 = 1499)

Blade of The Tribes should have its bonus set aside as a separate multiplier, and it should be made extractable in the cube. If this is done, the remaining dibs bonus will amount to a 1.65x multiplier. Since we needed to get to 1500 damage, 1500 / 1.65 = 909

So, we need Tribes to have a +800% multiplier, multiplicative.

This gives Fire Leapquake the full +15 GRs it needs.

IK HOTA

• Current higest clear: 133
  • Target clear: 146
  • Buff required: +10 GRs / +5x damage (1.17^10 = 4.81)

The first +2 GRs this build needs are addressed by the increased damage of IK(6) discussed in the Vile Charge section below.

The remaining +8 GRs needed can come in the form of a buff to Remorseless.

Current Remorseless multiplier of 3.5x * 1.17^8 = 12.29, i.e. Remorseless needs a bonus of +1100%

This will give IK HOTA the full +10 GRs it needs.

Vile Charge

• Current higest clear: 135
  • Target clear: 148
  • Buff required: +12 GRs / +6.5x damage (1.17^12 = 6.58)

The first +2 GRs worth of damage can come from a direct buff to IK(6), as this applies some needed buffing to IK HOTA as well.

Current IK(6) multiplier of 41x * 1.17^2 = 56x, i.e. IK(6) increased from 4000% to 5500%.

Vile Charge still needs another +10 GRs, which can come in the form of a large buff to Standoff.

This item currently gives a bonus of about 550% damage (500% of bonus move speed * 110%, the amount VC Barbs generally operate with).

So we need to get from 650 to (650 * (1.17^10)) = 3124

Meaning Standoff needs to give a bonus of about +3000% damage, i.e 2700% of bonus movement speed (27 * 110 = 2970).

This gives Vile Charge the full +12 GRs it needs.

Summary of Buffs

• MOTE(6): increased from 20000% to 50000%.

• IK(6): increased from 4000% to 5500%.

• H90(6): increased from 10000% to 20000%.

• Blade of the Tribes: Legendary power made extractable in the cube, made a separate multiplier, and increased from +200% to +800%.

• Standoff: multiplier increased from “500% of bonus movement speed” to “2700% of bonus movement speed”.

• Remorseless: multiplier increased from +250% to +1100%.

Supporting Legendaries

Many Barbarian-specific supporting legendaries remain outdated and useless at every level of play. We request buffs to the following items to make them more attractive to players who seek to play builds that deviate from traditional set-based skill and item designations.

• Dread Iron
  • The Three Hundredth Spear
  • Skular’s Salvation
  • Blade of the Warlord
  • Dishonored Legacy
  • Arreat’s Law
  • Saffron Wrap

A Legacy of Problems

Out of all our sets, only the Legacy of Raekor is unable to create a pure (all 6 set pieces equipped, no Ring of Royal Grandeur) build. The only pure-Raekor build that has ever achieved notable success was R6 HOTA, a HOTA-based build that exploited wall-charging to deal large amounts of burst damage in a very small window of time. While popular for a brief time, this build was not well received due to its fickle play style and for the way it made obsolete IK HOTA, a build much beloved in the Barbarian community.

The problem with the Legacy of Raekor is two-fold:

• On its own, it’s 4-piece bonus cannot make Furious Charge a meaningful damage-dealing skill (hence why Vile Charge relies on IK6’s damage multiplier)
  • It’s 6-piece bonus is a global multiplier for Fury-spending attacks

The second point above is noteworthy; buffing Raekor’s damage multiplier threatens to make it the best set for every and any Fury-spending attack (commonly referred to as spenders), but buffing the 4-piece bonus could, when combined with the IK set, make Vile Charge ludicrously powerful and unbalanced.

Right now, the Legacy of Raekor has no distinct identity, and no distinct build. It is for these reasons that we ask for either a set overhaul or for buffs t o various supporting legendaries in order to make a pure Raekor build fun, powerful, and viable. One popular suggestion in the Barbarian community, one that also seems to align with the original intent for the set, is for substantial buffs to Skular’s Salvation and The Three Hundredth Spear to make Boulder Toss into a powerful nuke–a skill that deals a single instance of massive damage. This could also be achieved by changing the 6-piece set multiplier from all Fury-spending attacks to Boulder Toss; in combination with large buffs to Skular’s and Three Hundredth, a powerful Charge+Boulder Toss build could become viable.

Conclusion

We hope that the requests outlined above lead to better parity between major Barbarian builds, and we hope that many more players find fun and exciting ways to enjoy the class’s unique skill set.

9 Likes

How confident are you in the “Current higest clear”? I wonder if for weak builds in particular, the top potential is significantly higher, especially when considering the worldwide leaderboard.

When I made my thread about buffing holy point shot, many impale clears were on the leaderboard. However, the top impale clears were most likely masked by RF builds at the time. Also, I manually checked US, EU, and AS demon hunter leaderboards to get a more complete picture of top clears. Even with these extra checks, I only conservatively suggested to get impale to GR 145.

Hi, Free!
Support this changes pls:
Remorseless has a* New Legendary Power: Hammer of the Ancients gains two additional hammers and deals [900-1100%] more damage While both Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients are active.
It will be much fun and efficient!
I dream about this change. Crusader and Demon hunter got same bonuses and barb need it too.

You have very good suggestions.

But I have a doubt

Wouldn’t it be better if the goal of each build was to be at the same level as Rend?
I think it has already been said by someone here, but if a certain build can do bountyes or t16 more efficiently, this is only due to its characteristics, so, even if each build is raised to the same level of rend, all will lie in their characteristics.

For example, even if IK Hota has the same power as Rend, he will still be less efficient for t16 and bountyes. The same goes for the other builds.

See, if we raise each build to something closer to Rend, we would have more options for the top 1 of the leaderboard and also maintain the characteristics of each build.

I award yourself and Rage as many virtual beers, cups of tea, scones, hot buttered crumpets, doughnuts, salty pretzels or whatever else you guys like.

If Barbarian Buff Proposal mkII gets even remotely implemented…
Oh, my!

6 Likes

Free does your… Situation with Blizzard that requires you to have an NDA mean we can shortcut abs get dev eyes directly, or should we still campaign with threads in general?

Hi Kornstar. While I appreciate the suggestion, it’s important to focus on practical, ideas, ones more likely to be implemented; it’s far more realistic to expect increases to item multipliers than it is for items to get completely new or modified affixes.

I don’t think that’s a good idea. The part you quoted explains the design philosophy we’re working with, but different builds will also excel at other in-game activities in different ways. It doesn’t matter how strong IK HOTA is, because Zodiac Rend will always be better at T16 and bounties. Since D3’s sole end-game activity is pushing GRs, our goal is get all of our major builds in relative parity with each other–within 1-3 GRs, as you can see.

Personally, I think that’s as accurate as one can be. True balance, where everything is completely equal in terms of clear potential, is a myth due to the RNG of rift conditions, build mechanics, and other underlying interactions between sets, skills, items, and numbers.

I’ll take his beers plus a handle of Old Granddad 114. Gonna need it to, uh, sterilize the home. And my innards.

In the past, Nev was a major supporter of our work, and she personally would bring it to dev meetings and advocate for us. Now that she’s gone, I don’t have quite the same pull that I used to, but there are still potential channels. I’m going to post something in GD and link it here as well.

Speaking of . . .

Rage, Phoenix, Pro, everyone: Any last criticisms, suggestions, or nitpicks? I’d really like to get this posted ASAP!

P.S. Rage, check your email!

2 Likes

Hi Rage!

Oh no! I wasn’t here to advocate so LoD HotA got dropped from consideration, lol. Luckily, the suggestion of Remorseless from +250% to +1100% means it’s still in the race (GR138 + 8). In fact, I think it would probably end up benefiting more from the buffs than IK HotA, even with an increase to the IK set bonus.

IK is much more squishy than LoD. In fact, any build of any class that I’ve played is squishier than LoD HotA. LoD will be able to maximize damage in a way that IK won’t, so I think it’ll still come out on top. Overall, really really loving all the suggestions. Missing me some fire/phys leapquake as well.

If I was going to float a suggestion, it would be to buff some supporting legendaries for the non-frenzy primary skills. Weapon throw, bash, and cleave all could have non-meta LoN/LoD builds or even IK builds with some simple number tweaks. I’d be fine with B-tier builds, but right now these skills literally can’t even squeak out a GR100.

A later buff proposal, perhaps. I agree that the list you guys have come up with has the more pressing requests. Great work, gentlemen! More proof that the Barb community has something special in its members.

1 Like