Barbs in 2.7: Community Discussion

I don’t think that absolute balance, in terms of getting all builds to about the same GR level at a specific paragon level, is the goal, just getting them ‘closer’ to the same level so that players feel like they can choose to play more builds.

Another goal is to ‘change things up’. If most players have been playing wwrend for the last few seasons because it is the most powerful, then boost one, or more, of the other sets so that they are on top, even if only for a season, to get players to try playing something new for a season. Then nerf them latter to prevent power creep.

It’s good to look at 10K paragon for pushes and the damage bonuses that need to be added to even things out but we also need to look at lower levels of paragon where toughness comes into play. Some of the builds mentioned above fall behind wwrend in terms of toughness which also contributes to making them less powerful than wwrend. (At 10K paragon the mainstat is so high that you do not need a lot of DR.)

I have not spent a lot of time playing a lot of the builds mentioned above but I took some time away from wwrend to play H90 last season and it’s super squishy compared to wwrend. It would be really nice if H90 had a way of maintaining WotB 100% (for the 50% damage reduction) or some other way of incorporating more DR.

1 Like

This upcoming balance patch seems to resemble the one a few seasons ago where the developers buffed the damage numbers of almost all sets, so I’m kind of expecting something similar here where there won’t be any fine-tuning of affixes on legendaries, and just buffs to set numbers. Hopefully they’ll take a more surgical approach instead of just using the Set buff Sledgehammer. But considering the large amout of sets out there… I’m not very hopeful.

Personally, I’d be happy if problematic sets like Raekor and especially Firebird were ignored this patch in favour of balancing everything else, and the next patch could be dedicated to redesigning these sets.

I think the issue with trying to balance the sets like this, is that most players are using Zodiac/Rend, so they won’t have as much data for the weaker builds.

If you give the player options with similar power? Yeah. It’s true that many (most?) players will gravitate to the build that’s easiest to play, but I believe that a big portion of the playerbase will choose other builds with a playstyle that they prefer.

Yeah, I’d really like to see something that makes 2-handers viable enough to where they can compete with dual-wielding. It’s why I wanted the 2-piece bonus of H90 to apply simply to having a 2-hander equipped.

I don’t really have a solution for this though, and certainly not the math. I can see an attempt to fix this by adding a new legendary effect that increases your damage while having a 2-hander equipped. Not sure which would be the best slot for this though. I’m leaning towards adding this to an amulet, since (I think) Barbarians don’t have a specialized legendary for that slot. I think you either have FoT or the EW set occupying that slot. They could also make this a general effect that any class can use (and if Heavenly Strength Crusaders pose a problem, just make the effect only active if you don’t have a shield equipped). If you wanted to specifically tailor this for Barbarians, I think they could always change one of our passives (they could add a 2-hander bonus to Weapons Master for example). Given that Necromancer passives were changed in the last patch, I don’t think touching passives is out of the questions.

On a similar note, I’d say that Barbarians also need a Shield option. We have a passive dedicated to it, but it’s been forgotten ever since the Crusader was released.

I’m just hoping that ‘balancing’ doesn’t end up equaling ‘nerf it all to the ground’.

1 Like

I can see why you’d say that, and I’ve heard this argument before, but I’ve never thought that was a good method. The reason is that there is a 0% chance that Blizz has the ability to look at a true average of all clears with a given build and then essentially make corrections both for player enthusiasm and for player intent.

Player enthusiasm will hugely deform the average, because as we know, players tend to sink a lot more of their time into builds that are already powerful. And that means that those builds end up getting explored pretty thoroughly. On the other side, when looking at an average in this way, one might conclude, “oh, build X can only do GR 120, on average”, when in reality that build is kind of being sandbagged by the fact that only a small number of lower quality players are dedicating much time to it. If you then proceed to buff it by the amount you think is necessary, based on that picture, good players flock to it and it ends up becoming overpowered.

Player intent is also a problem. After all, what do you make, say, of a 7k or 8k paragon player who shows up on the leaderboard around rank 800, having cleared a GR 123 or so? Was this person just inept? Or are they maining another class, and just decided to jump in and mess around? Also: how many keys did it take them to get that clear? One? Fifty?

When you compound these two issues together, you end up with an impossibly tangled picture of what the “average” clear is. Maybe if Blizz hired a team consisting of an economist, a mathematician, and a psychologist, then they could unravel the data and form an accurate picture. Hopefully I don’t need to tell you that isn’t going to happen!

This is why I’ve always considered a clear-headed look at the uppermost outliers as the only coherent way of figuring this stuff out. If you then want to apply “discounts” for various characteristics of the build, that isn’t all that hard to do. If, say, a build is hard to play or very fishy or very single-target oriented, all of these will have fairly easy-to-account-for effects that you can factor in. And accounting for lower level gems and augments, or less paragon, is just very simple math.

A build that is hard to play (which usually means high on cooldown management and timing elements, squishy/fragile, or both) will lower the “average clear” by 2-3 GRs. This number is pretty solid simply because in many cases, if the complexity or fragility is costing you more than this, you can simply change your gearing to simplify the build or add toughness (i.e. you drop CoE in favor of something else). You can also apply this number to a player whose skills are truly poor, even if the build is not actually difficult, and compound it on top of itself. In other words, a player who is not merely average but truly bad will be 4-6 GRs behind a good player.

A build that is very fishy (i.e. derives a ton of benefit from mob density, pylons, and specific RGs) will lower the “average clear” by 5-6 GRs. I’m a little less solid on this number, but it’s based on both my own long-term observations and Wudijo’s analysis of RNG in GRs. Basically, it’s a somewhat subjective assessment of how much trouble the “average” player will go to to get a better clear. Also, note that much of this disparity goes away if you are even moderately determined.

A build that is very single target oriented will, in comparison, have an average clear only 2-3 GRs lower. Because most of the RNG factors Wudijo lists will have a smaller positive or negative effect, depending on which way you’re looking at it.

So: imagine you have a very skilled player with 10k paragon and 60k mainstat playing a not-very-difficult, high-single-target damage build, and with this they cleared 148, and that’s the best anybody has done. If you’re comparing them to a skilled player with 2k paragon and 20k mainstat, this second player will have -7 GRs from the paragon difference and 2-3 GRs from RNG factors. So, - 9-10 total. If this player is very skilled and very determined, then they’ll only have the -7 from the paragon difference. This is what you would expect to see from a buffed H90 Frenzy, for instance. If the build in question was a buffed Vile Charge, you can expect to see a larger gap.

So, I didn’t pull those numbers completely out of thin air. Here’s where they come from:

Fire Leap: Based on my own attempts at clearing 126 (not done yet, but have come close several times… 90+% sure I can do it), which with “upgrade” to 10k paragon and rank 150 gems would clock in at about 133. And before Ulmaguest left the game he said he thought the build could do 133-134. I’m pretty certain about this one.

Phys Leap: These two builds are very close in power, so same goes here.

Pro-Slam: Ulmaguest did 138, in a not-super-long push. If you get numerous high-paragon, skilled players running the build, that number will go up.

IK HOTA: Titannova, who has always been one of the best IK HOTA players out there, did 133 during the PTR when Remorseless was upgraded. At the time he had about 6k paragon. Upgrade to 10k, and 136 should be pretty doable.

Vile Charge: DP already did 135, and the rift he did it in was certainly not perfect.

LON/LOD HOTA: Based on the observed performance comparison between this build and IK HOTA.

R6 HOTA: Ditto.

H90 Frenzy: Same as Pro-Slam. Only one high-paragon, skilled player that I know of has pushed with this, and 139 is done. The number will go up if more people play it.

So, to finally get around to this part…

Yes, balancing by average, rather than by peak, would be a fine thing to do. All that really needs to be done to do that would be to reduce the buff I recommended to H90 Frenzy by about 3-4 GRs, and the buff to Pro-Slam and the HOTA builds by about 2 GRs. Leapquake and Vile Charge could stay as suggested.

4 Likes

I’d take it a step farther and say they absolutely cannot achieve perfect balance between sets and builds, and I’ll add that they shouldn’t bother trying. Getting the sets into relative parity–the “close enough” you mention–is the best case scenario.

Rage, you brought this up in your post, but I think it’s worth discussing a bit: Balance is (and has always been) an approximation of power weighed against player investment and enthusiasm, and the key here is approximation. Even if the devs decide that parity means getting all other builds within 2 GRs of Rend, some will hit the mark and some will miss. When tweaking multipliers and such, there’s only so much you can do to predict how players will respond to a build, how much time and effort they’ll put into pushing it to its absolute limits (hence why the “Nerf Rend!” argument has always been so incredibly stupid–most players aren’t crushing GR 140 with the build even if it is very powerful).

The approach Rage has taken, one for which I advocate, is to jack up the multipliers based on an estimate of how many GRs a build needs to get with range (generally 2-5 GRs) of Rend.

This is why I’m emphasizing that sweeping overhauls and the creation of new builds will be (and likely should be) avoided. If we increase a multiplier on, say, the IK set, we can quickly and easily calculate how many additional GRs the IK and Charge builds will achieve. New builds would introduce a host of problems that are unlikely to be solved.

Very well put, Insidious.

Agreed.

But I don’t think buffing 2H options or shields makes much sense going forward. Asking the devs to buff sets and a few supporting legs seems realistic, but asking them to address an underlying (and fundamental) flaw in the game’s design via passives or under-the-table class-specific buffs is likely to be as productive as asking for a winning lottery ticket.

I want to add that the build’s lack of DR (relative to builds like Rend and Fire EQ) likely turns a lot of potential players from pushing. I don’t like the idea of tweaking the build to achieve perma-Wrath (it’s nice to have one build that doesn’t have Wrath up all the time), but I do think the build needs more innate DR. That alone would make players feel more comfortable pushing.

I’m of the opinion that looking at 10K Paragon outliers–those incredible clears that seem to be pushing a build to it’s limits–are one of the best approaches to looking at potential buff numbers because resultant buffs will elevate the largest possible player base. The 10K folk don’t need the buffs as badly as other players do since they already have the 150 gems, the 50K main stat, and the perfect primals.

3 Likes

Always enjoy reading your thoughts on the game Free.

Most of the builds of this game are old, it is unlikely that they will achieve any miracles. Even if they find a unicorn there, it is the devs’ job to correct it.

It is not a safe method. Balance between builds assumes that their capabilities are similar to clearing a GR,
but we have to take into account the characteristics of the builds. Some of them have more mobility, need less RNG. The player base, for the most part, has no interest in pushing, so their numbers do not reflect the true capacity of the build.
If you try to balance around that, the numbers would be greatly altered.

My recollection may be off, but didn’t the PTR with Remorseless also include a bug where Fjord Cutter was mistakenly buffing everything instead of just the skill it should have been, meaning people were using it as the off-hand and skewing PTR results?

Well, maybe it’s just a question of semantics, but I would say that an attempt to achieve perfect balance is the best way to end up in that “close enough” scenario.

Like: if you’re bowling, and at some point you realize “hmm, I’m not perfect, I can’t throw a strike every time” you (hopefully) don’t respond by throwing the ball into the gutter, into the next lane, or onto your foot. You try again to throw the strike! It’s just that you do it with the knowledge that you may not achieve the 100% optimal result, and that’s ok.

Eh… I think once you gain experience with the build, it stops feeling so fragile. And after all, there are a ton of defensive swaps you can make that only cost you, at most, a couple GRs worth of damage.

The first time I ran the build on GR 120, it felt squishy and hard to play. But with a bit of practice, and without any upgrades in gear, I pretty quickly got to a point where I could run 123s endlessly without ever failing.

Yes, it sure did, but that was not the case with this particular clear. (It was, however, the case with DP’s 140 using R6 HOTA).

This is the same attitude the Dev’s have, that’s served the game well in achieving a well balanced game. :roll_eyes:

The results of the last 8 years don’t give much hope of that being likely.

I’m not talking new builds though. I am saying players will find ways to make the builds we have better. They will find that strange interaction that nobody knew about, or thought of.

Look at whats happening with the GoD set and the interaction with Valla’s right now.

Seen a guy get the ball caught on his thumb once and managed to launch it into the roof, bringing roof panels down across about 5 lanes. Was the craziest thing any of us had seen at the time lol

Let it be clear that I am referring to players, old builds, which are the vast majority, are unlikely to have any changes, It is unlikely that players will achieve real improvements in older builds.

Furthermore, over the years the devs just inflated the numbers without caring about balance … There was no real concern with balance in this game, so there is no balance not because it is a “unicorn”, but because there was no real commitment.

Hard to say, no one is really playing with them, testing them, pushing their limits.

“If” they were able to achieve some kind of intra class balance, that made old sets/builds viable again, who’s to say people don’t start getting creative with them again.

Commitment? Or ability?

Shots fired and we have a bullseye!

1 Like

Of course, but they already did, there were times when each of these builds was used a lot. R6 / Shenlong, Rollan, Condemn, LoD LTK, MOTE, etc etc …
We have a lot of data from clears made in previous times, if there was an increase in power due to paragon, gem, cadesans, this is also not difficult to calculate. Add this to d3planner and you will have a very good calculation. Note that devs have more tools for this, so the balance is not a unicorn, if there was a real commitment FROM THE BEGINNING of this game, we would have a difference of only 1lvl of GR between builds. It wasn’t a few months, we had YEARS for that.

Devs have the ability, they have more tools, they have more data. So, it was simply lack of commitment.

This is the key. At this stage of the game perfect balance is indeed a unicorn. And “close” is as good as I dare hope for.

I never said that we would need YEARS for this to be possible, also nobody said that there could be an EXACT balance of capabilities between builds. The issue has always been “close”. To say that it is somehow difficult to balance solo builds is a fallacy.

I’m not disagreeing with you. But you have to look at past examples of attempted balance and then decide what level of imbalance you can accept.

So, I gave it a little more thought, and it seems to me that the best “balance point” for these builds is actually the midpoint between a build’s “average clear” and its “max clear”. Here’s why:

This lets each build shine in certain situations. For example, Zodiac Rend would still have a slightly higher peak clear than H90 Frenzy, but Frenzy would clear a bit higher on average.

What that boils down to is that the buffs I originally recommended to H90 Frenzy, the HOTA builds, and Pro-Slam just need to be tweaked down a little bit:

H90 Frenzy: +4 GRs / 1.87x damage
MOTE Pro-Slam: +6 GRs / 3.00x damage
IK HOTA: +10 GRs / 4.80x damage

At this point, I’m assuming we are abandoning Phys Leap, LON/LOD HOTA, and R6 HOTA, for a variety of reasons, including difficulty (or impossibility) of balancing, plus low community interest.

So, these amendments mean the changes needed are:

MOTE(6) increased from 20000% to 50000%.

Blade of the Tribes increased from 200% additive to 800% multiplicative, and made extractable in the cube.

H90(6) increased from 10000% to 20000%.

IK(6) increased from 4000% to 20000% (and R6 HOTA + LON HOTA both abandoned) .

Standoff increased from 500% to 700% of bonus movement speed.

What do you guys think? This is a pretty simple list to ask for, that would move 5 builds up to being viable. Should we start asking for this list?

3 Likes

After the change in the dev team, there were only one (before that there were only powercreeps, there was never an attempt to balance), when they did, there was a good variety of builds nearby. But as you could see, there were new items, new sets.

I think that with the previous proposal, each build will still have its shine. In addition, each can enter the top leaderboard if the player wants to.