Barb PTR 2.7.5 discussion

There’s not actually all that much to discuss, since the only real Barb change is the buff to H90, but if anybody wants to give notes on that, or on the S28 “Altar” powers, let’s hear em.

The buff to Frenzy feels like it’s working properly. I fished about 10 keys for a decent map, and cleared a 140. PTR Frenzy is 4.4 tiers stronger than it is on live, so this would be GR 135-136 without the doubled damage.

Video here… still processing HD, should be higher def in 30 mins or so.

3 Likes

LOL 10 keys did a 140!!! That aint to shabby.

Do you think it might come close to Raekor for speeds and farming?

Actually, I lied, I went over my video record again, and it turned out to be 5 keys.

But yeah, Frenzy is a “high average” build, so with the buff, if you were given only one GR key, you would almost certainly clear higher with Frenzy than you would with Rend. Maybe also higher with Frenzy than with LoD HotA. Let’s look at a few numbers…

H90’s peak adjusted clear on live is 143.5. Doubled damage gives us +4.4, making 147.9.
Wastes is 148.6
LoD HotA is 149.0

As I said to Apache in another thread, a great single-target build like Frenzy is going to clear 90+% of the rifts it sees only about 5 tiers lower than its peak. For a high-fishing build like Wastes, it’ll be more like 10 tiers. And for a build that has decent single-target damage, plus a way to expedite boss fights a bit (LoD HotA), you’ll have a more middling number, probably 7 or 8 tiers.

So for Frenzy, 147.9 - 5 = 142.9
And for Wastes, 148.6 - 10 = 138.6
And for LoD HotA, 149.0 - 7 = 142.0

There is a little quirk in those Frenzy numbers, though: that top adjusted clear comes from a super high paragon player. And for this build, once you are beyond 10k paragon it starts becoming possible to use a setup where you drop BoM, and use both Aughild and CoE, which adds roughly 2 tiers of extra damage. So that “90+%” number for Frenzy might need to come down a bit.

Hmm, I dunno. Both Raekor and H90 have some odd quirks as speed builds. For Raekor it’s the fact that it’s really hard to take any advantage of the 4-piece missing life bonus, which can give you up to 3x damage. For H90 it’s the fact that you have to kind of elite hunt, but you can’t just kill the elites, because of the Bastion’s chain effect. Neither is a “classic” speed build, where you kill stuff just by moving around (like Wastes, or GoD, or Inna).

I’ll try to run some speeds on the PTR with H90 today and see how it feels.

3 Likes

I haven’t got to ptr yet. I need like 30 paragons to 5000 seasonally. That was my goal lol. Ill try some non season savages when i get home but it might be a couple days til i start s28 content. Got some nice gear farmed from s27.

Ok, an update:

I ran two sets of 10 GR 120s with H90. That’s the same tier I generally run with Raekor in maybe 3:00 - 3:15 average.

First set was done with In-Geom setup, and prioritized killing elites. Second set was done with Echoing Fury, and I killed both elites and any area with valuable density.

Times:

In-Geom

Best: 2:41
Worst: 4:14
Average: 3:29

Echoing Fury*

Best: 2:56
Worst: 4:24
Average: 3:26

So, the two setups, over this sample size at least, were very evenly matched. I also tried a few other setups, like Rob’s Maxroll speed build, but didn’t get as good results.

Seems like it is pretty close to Raekor for running a “slower speed” tier of GR.

1 Like

3 minute 120 somethings is good time.

Is it as grind friendly as WW?

What do you mean?

Is it easy on the hands? Do your fingers get tired? Is it fun? Stuff like that.

Fun = yes.
Easy on the hands = mostly, having run ~25 in a row I didn’t feel any strain.

You do have to think a little more about what you’re doing than you do with Rend, though. I’d count that as a positive, but other people might not.

Any interest in running a set of 10 120s in non-season with Rend? Just to get some numbers for further comparison.

Started a fresh barb, rolled some semi-decent ancient items and enchanted everything with lvl 100 gems.
At 800 Paragon, Frenzy stops being fun around solo GR105 just like WhirlRend.
They seem about equally strong now. Fun, but nowhere near the foolishness of DH, Monk or Meteors.

Ran 10 120s with Raekor since I hadn’t actually recorded times for that:

2:32 Best
3:16 Worst
2:55 Average

So, Raekor still a little better than Frenzy at this tier, but not a large margin.

I dont have a lot of time to PTR yet but I threw some stuff on and tried some non season 120s and 125. Almost the same setup as you but I went with squirts & COE/BoM instead.
120s are very map dependent timewise. Im happy with anything that has a 12: whatever on the end of it and that was fine. The 125 I tried was about the same. First map was huge and the most time spent was running, lol. No real problem with damage or toughness. The 125 was a 4 minute grift but it was a fun 4 minutes. Im sure I could shave the time into the 3s with a few practice runs.

Overall? Pretty nice! Feels like Gears of Dreadlands for Barbarians.

Great data, thanks Rage. I only just hit 70 on my seasonal ptr barb earlier today so I’ll be trying out stuff tonight once I fill out the altar. As much as I love Raekor I feel like giving H90 a chance for once, and seeing them be relatively close is great news.

What about Fire or Physical EQ?

What about them? For running speeds at the same tier?

I don’t think I’ll get to that today but I’ll try to run a set tomorrow.

I mean hows the state of EQ, do they gain anything from the new season? its my fav set xd.

It’ll gain a whole lot of tiers from the Altar, as it stands now, though I am guessing they will nerf it somewhat before it goes live.

Curious everyone’s thoughts on where IK HOTA will stand in the new patch. Feels like the loss of that nice big aoe wave from sanctified will be a loss

I think it will be about 3 GRs weaker. The hota sanctified power gave +8 or so & these new buffs give +5 on average.

No cool hota wave though:(