[Barb] H90 Focused Feedback

that would explain my random death in density against an elite pack of these reflecting sand-guadian things that sometimes activates their reflect

haven’t thought of the sidearm axe in that situation

i also am handicapped a little atm because of a work accident and can only play with 1,5 hands what didn’t make it easier -.-

New Video up of GR128. 35,106 STR, 6261 Paragon. Used CoE in cube, Threatening Shout:Falter, War Cry:Veteran’s Warning, Furious Charge:Merciless Assault with Echoing Fury and Vambraces of Sescheron equipped. 109% AD, 46% CDR, 2.04/2.02 Attacks Per Second with WOTB, 66.5% CC, 593% CHD with WOTB and BR active and my CoE cycle is on physical. 140 Bane of the Sticken and Bane of the Trapped, 129 Simplicity’s Strength.

Strength of the Set/Build is the ability to kill non-scurrying champions and elites (and especially RGs) much quicker than other builds. It plays very much like IK6/LoD HoTA, though, with more effectiveness at killing, less effectiveness at staying alive.

Weaknesses are definitely a semi-squishy build and it’s hard to get the “right” amount of CDR, IAS/ASI & AD on everything. Plus, there is a finesse to understanding the Frenzy breakpoints for DPS output that we need to determine and make public knowledge.

Critical Problems are that the fear mechanic is pretty whack, dudes. I tried to use TS:Terrify on 3 different runs, and lost, including a super prime double Festering with a conduit pylon! As soon as you are stuck chasing down mobs, endlessly, you lose the Endless Walk buff. The only way to combat this is to use the FC:Cold Rush and Ground Stomp:Wrench Smash to rotate into the Fears. It could be done, I just don’t like it as much, for now.

It is a pretty squishy build, far more than all of the other ones, for not enough DPS output to out-weigh it. I think the Frenzy damage reduction needs to be increased to 6-7% (up from 5%) per stack.

I think the Feared enemies takes double damage should ALSO apply to Stuns, but I may be getting a little greedy. That way it can incorporate Frenzy:Smite, FC:Cold Rush, andGround Stomp, also. Then the user can choose to either chase down a feared mob or swap targets to something that is Frozen/Stunned.

3 Likes

I believe it updates after the 24 hour cool down to your current Live state. Should be fine.

Good stuff here, folks. Keep the feedback coming!

H90 lol. Good name.

My clear:

GR123, around 14min 40, kill boss 40s.
P2620, Str 20500, Vit 6700. CDR ~ 33. I have very low CDR.
I don’t use unity. I use CoE+BoM instead.
EoF + Oath Keeper

1. Survivalbility is still an issue. I have 900k health, LoH on both weapon, with War Cry 60 dodge. Still easily killed by one hammer.

2. Not that fishy. Frenzy barb don’t have ToF, it can’t hardly survive with 2 groups of elites. Move slow, No Rage Flip. Well…when you reach the bottleneck, (For me is like GR125.) no map can help you.
    They have to increase the toughness. Otherwise, we have too few options for skills.

3. 2PC bonus. Rage has already tested. I got similar result from
    d.163.

• Fear Does not work properly: it last only very few seconds. The
      only proper way to proc it, is EoF. And … Frenzy stun just
      remove the buff…

• (Fear Vs Density)
      Fear just not fit any AOE. The dmg bonus is so low that compare to
      the dmg bonus which AD and Bloodshed contribute. Fear will
      significantly lower the mob density, hence the AOE. In other
      words, for example, if density * 1/2, then your total dmg to all
      mobs will be around * 1/4. If they want to make fear works, they
      should either, * at least 10 (by my estimation) for the fear
      bonus dmg. Or add feard enemy can’t move to 2pc and triple the frenzy dmg

1 Like

Thank you, your video is proving super helpful.

I checked your RG kill time against my earlier calculations, in which I estimated this build would have a bit of trouble as a group RG killer for 150s.

Your 128 RG has 16,477 Trillion life. Once you got up to 10 stacks, which took you about 3 seconds, it took you about 43 seconds to kill him. For 19 of those seconds, you had WOTB, and an 8 frame Frenzy, for the other 24 seconds, you had a 9 frame Frenzy.

With WOTB down, you hit the boss about 160 times, and with it up, you hit him about 190 times, for 350 hits total (these #'s are all a little rough, obviously).

I plugged that into my little calculator, along with the estimated damage number I came up with before, i.e. about 9.9 Trillion per “strike”, and it looks like that should do 16,853 Trillion damage.

So, that number checks out pretty well, though my estimate was assuming 40k STR, and pretty much perfect CHC/CHD rolls, so, based on your performance, it looks like the build is outperforming my estimate by a little bit.

But, it still doesn’t look like the build has nearly the damage it needs to kill rank 150 RGs in a reasonable amount of time.

3 Likes

Agreed. Feared enemy can’t move+deal an additional triple dmg to stunned/feared enemies.

1 Like

The damage of the AOE on a per-target basis stays about the same, but in terms of “total damage dealt to all enemies in area”, it is significantly reduced.

1 Like

Right. 43* 2 *2 = 172s = solo Gr 150 boss. Around 3min

For four man boss, this gonna doubled. If we didn’t consider the difference between solo and group.

Actually, It may not be that bad, but it is still >4-5min I guess. Double H90 dmg is a must.

I think when they designed the set they intended for you to use terrify to isolate elites and mow them down. Currently, it does just play like hota and I kinda prefer hota over this frenzy build. I think they should revisit making the play style as the originally designed and that will require a decent boost on “damage to feared enemies”. I hope they go this route, otherwise, it’s just a less tankier hota with better single target.

4 player 150 RG has about 127 times the life of Cen’s RG, 2,100,000 Trillion.

At Cen’s level of damage, I’m thinking it takes about 4300 hits to kill that RG, each hit takes avg about 8.5 frames, which works out to about 10 minutes…

Even with twice the damage, still takes 6 - 7 minutes.

? I usually use sqrt to get an estimation.

Sqrt (127) * 43 right? It is a quadratic equation then you take the limit. Why the error is so large?

Let me check.

Haha, I always use this sigma sum calculator to tally up the net damage:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/numbers/sigma-calculator.html

In this case, n=0 , in the box I have 9.9(0.022n)+9.9. Number above the sigma you can just increase till you reach the total for the RG life, this is the number of hits needed. (Or if you already know the # of hits, you can alter the base damage number, in this case 9.9…)

From there I just multiply by frames per attack, and then divide into minutes / seconds.

My method isn’t super sophisticated, but it has lined up well with reality in most of my tests. Can you explain your method to me?

Sure. Let the RG has A health.

a t^2 + b t = A solution t1 = (-b + sqrt(b^2 + 4aA))/2a
a t^2 + b t = 127A solution t2 = (-b + sqrt(b^2 + 4a 127A))/2a

When A is large lim t2/t1 = lim (-b + sqrt(b^2 + 4a 127A)) / (-b + sqrt(b^2 + 4aA))= sqrt 127.

Or you can use wolfram alpha:
(-1 + sqrt(1 + 4 *127x)) / (-1 + sqrt(1 + 4x))

I can’t sent you the link. I am just Tier2.

Thanks as always for setting these focused threads up.

In my personal testing and based on comments, how would everyone feel about the below changes to the set:

First, lets change the 2pc set from a damage bonus since the fear mechanic is not liked by almost everyone, and move it to be a Life Per Hit mechanic. Further, how about adding in a % damage increase based on your Life Per Hit? I think this would also fit the theme of the set and it would provide some additional sustain which is needed!

Second, we really need to improve the 4pc bonus from 5% to 6%, that is a must!

Third, pending the “Life Per Hit” damage bonus from my proposed 2pc change, maybe we do not need to alter damage, but I think a solid 20% increase to the per stack bonus of the 6pc would suffice to get us where we need to be given the balance parameters shared with us recently.

My only other thought would be to add some form of CDR to the 2pc that way we can properly function in full WoTB without gimping other aspects of the gearing.

Thoughts?

When I played it using terrify to isolate elites, I actually thought it was kinda cool and a different way to play. Right now it just plays like hota. If they want to keep to the play style they envisioned with fearing surrounding enemies and isolating eltes, there needs to be a much higher multiplier on “damaged taken by feared enemies”. I think the play style is much more interesting than a clone of hota and since the fear mechanic does not work on RGs I think there is room to play with the multiplier to suit the isolation play style and it would give us a unique feel to the set. Otherwise, you are just relying on BS,AD, and grouping just like almost every other build. I think there is an opportunity to make it work and work well.

GR(s) Cleared: GR120 (first attempt), 3 attempts to clear 124 nonseasonal. Regular maps and mobs+conduit.
Main Stat: ~34000
Paragon: ~6180
Basic Build Info: (items + skills)
Main skills: War Cry - Veteran’s Warning; Battle Rage - Bloodshed; Threatening Shout - Falter; Furious Charge - Merciless Assault; Ignore Pain - Iron Hide; Frenzy (cold)

Passives: Berserker Rage, Ruthless, Nerves of Steel, Rampage

Gear: 6-piece H90, Undisputed Champion, Vambraces of Sescheron. Weapons: Echoing Fury and Oathkeeper. Jewelry: Traveler’s Pledge/Compass Rose +BoM

Cube: Bastion’s Revered, Depth Diggers, CoE

Gems: Simplicity’s Strength (130), Bane of the Stricken (150), Bane of the Trapped (150)

Strengths of the Set and Build:
-Elite/RG Killing, but not enough to be the goal of the build
-Recovery (but tested with primal LpH on 1 weapon)
-Doubled shouts are amazing and works as intented

Weaknesses of the Set and Build:
-Annoying CC elites
-Fast running elites
-We need several stats to work like CC, CD, LpH, CDR and AD)

Critical Problems:
Perma Berserker not possible and its mandatory today in this character. Too squishy with every type of elite/BK with dangerous affixes.

Additional Impressions or Notes:
I played Barb since Diablo Launch and have enough knowledge to say this build is wrong in several points. Need to be reworked or opened to ALL PRIMARY SKILLS.
But the easy fix is add CoolDown Reduction to WotB like Akkhan Set and increase the overall damage or the set is doomed.

4 Likes

Hey folks. Updated the OP with additional info and clears. Unfortunately, I have no friggin’ idea why my TOC and links don’t work, and I could really use some help getting that sorted. This forum code is so dang complicated.

If you have recorded video of your clears, post it so I can include it!

Keep up the testing!

1 Like

Got a question for both yourself Free, and other Barbs.

What would the overall impact be if the 2pc bonus instead read as this “Your frenzy skill now counts as a channeling skill”?

Other than Mantle, I was not thinking of many benefits. Seems weird and does not fit the theme, but it is that slight damage and dr buff we are looking for.

Has anyone tried sword and board for less squishyness? Also, I saw no comments about the suggestion for 2pc to add fearing an enemy grants Max frenzy stacks? Was this a bad suggestion? I like constructive feedback

Highest GR: 70 (Solo, non-season, ~3min. Group N/A)
Main Stat: 9436
Paragon: 794
Build: H90, Traveller’s Walk set, Unity, Aquila Cuirass, Undisputed Champion, Nemesis Bracers, Bastion’s Revered.
Cube: Oathkeeper, Depth Diggers, RoRG.
Gems: Simplicity’s Strength (30), Wreath of Lightning (35), Bane of Trapped (25), Ruby (x5), Diamond (x1, helm).

Skills: Frenzy (Maniac), Battle Rage (Bloodshed), Furious Charge (Merciless Assault), Threatening Shout (Terrify), Overpower (Killing Spree), War Cry (Veteren’s Warning); Passives: Brawler, Weapon Master, Inspiring Presence, Rampage.

Strengths: Good clear speed at lower levels, especially on general mobs; fun playstyle; good for crits.
Weakness: Survivability; Slow movespeed (without mobs around); has to reset between floors.

Initial impression: Using this setup, the damage of the set feels fine enough for the (relatively) low level I’ve done so far. However, the survivability seems non-existant; even at Torment 11, it feels like everything, character and mobs alike, are made of wet tissue paper. The 2p bonus of the set doubling shout skills is fine, but the “double damage vs fear” ends up being awkward to try and take advantage of; I think this half would be better as something like “Gain a Frenzy charge when you use a shout”, as that would act as a method to keep frenzy charges from dropping when no mobs are around or when transitioning between maps.