Bad Performance since Update on Big Sur

Same problem, did the update last night and the game now is unplayable. Was working perfect on the Catalina software. Do we just wait? Is there anything I can do?

Short of buying a PC, there isnā€™t much you can do. Tech Support checked out on this game for Macs years ago.

Hello. FIXED THE MACOS BIG SUR issue. I play starcraft 2, but I am SURE this fixes everyghing else too.
So in short, my macbook pro 16 inch was running horribly in games. Nothing I found on this forum really worked, so donā€™t even bother trying.

THE FIX:
you need to disable turbo boos on CPU.
HOW? download a free silly software called turbo boost switcher for mac. Click to disable and enjoy games as you should. Hope this helps!

Feel free to name your first born after me :grinning:

2 Likes

The Turbo Boost did not do the trick for me.
But looks like Big Sur 11.2 was a big improvement.
Would like to hear from others to be sure is not some sort of placebo :joy:
Macbook Pro 2014 here.

1 Like

11.2 looks like no improvement for me. I returned to full resolution on my iMac and the character preview appears very unplayable again. 1/2 resolution still works fineā€¦ Hopefully theyā€™ve not broken things in my M1 Air with 11.2.

It shouldnā€™t need to be stated again, but Iā€™ll do it anyway. Appleā€™s M1 machines are quite nice for what their CPUs can do, but they do face thermal throttling issues, as do the Intel machines. MacsFanControl is your best bet, at least for Intel machines, as it lets you set fan profiles that will ramp up the fans and keep the machine cooler while youā€™re playing, which will help prevent most of the throttling issues you see with turbo boost.

I think thereā€™s a fan control app for the M1 Macs, but I canā€™t recall its name at the moment.

Iā€™ll also remind players here that setting the game to a maximum of 60 FPS via the in-game sliders should be a top priority when setting the game up to run properly. There is literally zero reason to have more frames rendered than your display can handle, and currently on M1 Macs 60 FPS is the limit due to issues with the OS itself.

1 Like

I always have V-sync on. Like you said it is pointless to have anything higher if your monitor can only do only 60. I see my M1 go higher than 60 with v sync off.

I guess the hard cap of 60 FPS is currently a Metal limitation then, and since this game uses OpenGL, it isnā€™t hit with that and runs as fast as it can if not capped. WoW cannot run >60 FPS on M1 Macs currently due to that bug or missing feature.

My M1 Air runs D3 better than my 4GHz i7 iMac since this issue popped up. And it has no fansā€¦ Also D3 on my iMac was always set to 60fps, both before and after it was broken by the Big Sur update. Reducing the resolution has been the only thing that makes it playable.

Same issue here since update to Big Sur.

iMac Pro.
Running latest Big Sur update 11.2.1
Reset SMC and PRAM

Super choppy during first fight at the gates of Tristram.
Fans on the iMac Pro going nuts, never heard them ramp up so much before.

Game generally running with a lower framerate and alot more stuttering.

Browse the game files from battle.net, get info on the diablo iii app file, and check the ā€˜open in low resolutionā€™ checkbox.

The ā€˜open in low resolutionā€™ didnā€™t appear to do anything different for me than choosing half resolution of my 5K monitor in the game settings.

Itā€™s almost 6 months since Big Sur release and no solution? D3 is unplayable for me right now.

After a long time i want to come back and Play D3 but it is not playable on my MacBook. Many lags during the game is running but when i take a look in my performance monitor (running D3 in window mode) the CPU is running arround 25%.
I tried some settings in game like window mode and several resolutions but the lags looks every time the same no matter which settings are selected.
I also tried to turn off the automatical graphic card switching, also no performance improvement.

Here my system informations:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBook Pro 16,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2,3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Memory: 64 GB 2667Mhz DDR4
Storage: 2 TB Flash
Filesystem: APFS
Security: FileVault active
GPU: Radeon Pro 5500M
VRAM: 8 GB
Internet: VDSL 250 / 50

same here in my macbook pro 13 m1 so much lag even though i try all the option to fixā€¦

Thank you Nazgul! This worked for me!

I am on macOS Big Sur and itā€™s not very enjoyable ā€¦ I used to play with higher FPS//Settings but now I have to limit it to 30FPS. It works fine for a bit but then it stops working smoothly and I have canā€™t leave it at 60FPS has to be lower and then even then sometimes 30FPS is not low enoughā€¦ I also have issues with lots of graphical assets not loading in like my inventory items when I open my inventoryā€¦ This was not like this before, not sure if itā€™s a Diablo 3 patch issue or something with Big Sur interacting with D3 but it must be patched ):

1 Like

So still no solution? Even not after the new season started?

For me the reduction of the resolution made things better. But now I am having grafic glitches as well as ā€œinventory not loadingā€ bug

its very frustrating

2 Likes

You can fix this by going to act 2, for some reason itā€™s the only place where my inventory doesnā€™t take 30 minutes to load.

Intel i7 2020 MacAir, on Big Sur and os updates all completed, resolution is reduced, game settings reduced to potato mode and itā€™s still stuttery and unplayable for me. This thread probably still needs to be alive.

1 Like