Bad Performance since Update on Big Sur

One further thing I’d suggest trying: with the battle.net app closed, delete the /Applications/Diablo III/Data folder, then empty your trash.

If you have the PTR installed, do the same for the PTR’s Data folder.

If you do this, the battle.net app will download and re-install the app completely on the next launch. Beware: it’s a 78GB download. Let it run to completion before playing.

That’s the scorched-earch variant of scan and repair, just in case any of the local files are corrupted. It’ll also reset any APFS/CASC filesystem fragmentation, which should make things load faster off the drive (though that shouldn’t really have much effect on framerate).

Another update: I upgraded to Big Sur 11.1 today and the problem is still present on my Late 2015 27" iMac.

However, it runs fine at full resolution (2560x1600?) at the default 60fps on my new MacBook Air (M1, 16GB).

2 Likes

I’m having this issue, as well. I was playing last night on Catalina, and can’t really play tonight on Big Sur. It’s just too laggy.

Hey guys, I was having the same issue after updating to Big Sur, tons of stutter, FPS drops at random, mostly unplayable at around 28-36 FPS (YIKES!)

You can keep an eye on your FPS by hitting Command + R while in game.

After reading a few comments on this thread I decided to not give up on it as my seasonal Necro is actually tons of fun to play. So following some suggestions I checked that I was up to date in MacOs (I was) and opened the “Get Info” on the D3 app within Finder and checked the box “Open in low resolution”, this helped a lot, but not quite to where I was before updating.

Without changing my previous settings I was getting 100+ in camp, great! but as soon as I entered any enemy dense screen performance would tank back down to low 30’s or worse, which seems odd.

After messing around with the settings a bit, I was able to get the game to play at a somewhat STABLE 60fps (give or take ~5 fps).

Here’s what I messed around with:

Screen Settings:

• For some reason running with frame rate uncapped tanks performance, or at least it did for me. I read somewhere that moving the slider would help D3 run at a more stable FPS (the article I read suggested 40 fps). Tried that and it did help, however, silly me, didn’t cap the Background FPS and was still having stutters although running at a more stable 40 fps, so I moved both to 40, ok now were getting somewhere.

• I’ve always ran D3 at 1440 without any issues, so I left resolution alone.

• Checked Letterbox option

• V-Sync checked on; I didn’t have this checked on before and was still getting frame dips and stutters but no screen tearing that I could notice, so I checked the box

• After moving the Foreground and Background FPS to 40 and reaching a very stable experience without V-sync on, after turning V-sync on frame rate moved to 60, I decided to push the envelope a little more, so I moved both to 65 ( I think my screen refresh rate is 60hz, so it made sense to cap these to a little more than what the screen could handle)

Quality Settings:

• Texture: High
  • Shadow Quality: Low(Smooth) or Off
  • Physics: High
  • Clutter Density: High
  • Anti-Alising: Off (Yes I know it doesn’t look as pretty but it improved stability massively for me)
  • Low FX: Off
  • SSAO: Off (Again not as pretty, but it helped)

After all these changes D3 is now running a respectable 60 FPS on most occasions and when the screen is cluttered by grift mobs it dips to 55 maybe 54, but it’s very very stable and never dips bellow that, no more stutters, dropped FPS, no more lagging, awesome!

Here are my specs:

• 2017 5K iMac
  • 3.8 Ghz Quad-Core i5
  • 40 Gb Ram 2400 Mhz
  • Radeon Pro 580 8Gb

I am also using a gaming mouse and keyboard ( cheapo Marvo Mechanical key and Mouse, cuz magic mouse and key are an ergonomics nightmare)

Hope this will help some of you guys out there having the same issue, by no means is this perfect nor ideal, but it made my experience a lot better and more enjoyable.

GL HF!

2 Likes

I am less inclined to buy Diablo IV with every day that goes by with no fix.

1 Like

I just don’t see the point in making the game worse just so I can play it. I’d rather not play it at all.

Fair enough man, as they say, to each their own.

Or you can play it just fine by not upgrading to Big Sur, unless you have an M1 Mac… :slight_smile: My wife’s iMac is a late 2013 27"/3.5GHz i7/32GB and I think just 1.5GB VRAM? And it runs it just fine at full settings as she’s still on Catalina.

I too am having issues. This game used to run flawlessly on this machine. After upgrading to Big Sur it’s nearly unplayable. This includes a 2020 Macbook pro (non m1)

Please help!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4 GB

True I could, but I really dont want to through the hassle of downgrading from Big Sur to Catalina

Was experiencing same thing. Performance was a joke after Big Sur ‘upgrade’. Browsed this thread, dropped resolution to 1650x1050x60 (16:10 Widescreen) from 3360x2100x60 (16:10 Widescreen) and it’s runnin’ nice and buttery. Here are my specs:

2018 MacBook Pro, 15-inch
2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

1 Like

Is Diablo IV coming out for Apple products ? Never seen this confirmed…just says for PC…which usually means Windows only !

Blizz update while on Catalina screwed things up to start with…basiclyh everything above. Went to Big Sur - got worse - feels like I’m fighting underwater ! Sluggish

Reduced resolution from 5120x2880x60. to 1920x1080x60 and gameplay play/speed back to normal except really big cursor/hand. Item display gets crappy after a while so no change on that.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB

Radeon Pro 575 4 GB
Big Sur 11.1

Also having a horrible time playing Diablo III after Big Sur update.

Please fix soon. I love this game.

It would be nice to get an estimated time for a patch (or be told to not hold our breath.)

1 Like

I quit the game around July, and at the time it ran perfectly smoothly with maxed-out settings (Season 21, macOS Catalina 10.15.7). I reinstalled this week in Big Sur 11.1, and the graphics will randomly stutter really badly, even while my frame rate is sitting at 60 FPS.

I think there is an issue with Radeon display drivers, because even the Photos app shows artifacting when editing photos.

2019 5k Core i9 iMac, 64 GB of RAM, 2 TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48. Fiber 500/500 connection.

Model Name: iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2019)
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Memory: 64 GB
Storage: 2 TB SSD
Filesystem: APFS
GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 48
VRAM: 8 GB
Internet: Fiber Optic 500/500, Wired Ethernet

I just upgraded to Big Sur on New Years Day, and now Diablo 3 is completely unplayable. All other apps - (Adobe Premier Pro, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop) run amazing smooth as butter.

My System:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor: 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
System Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

My time in typing this post is unfortunately a complete waste of time, I work as a software developer and our company looks at Blizzard technical support as an example of what not to do. They will use outliers to push blame back onto the customer and from their product, and use generic responses to acknowledge that they see the feedback - but don’t provide any feedback of their own.

2 Likes

In the finder, try switching the Diablo III app to open in Low Resolution.

I can play Borderlands 2 and POE ( current league ) without any problems on Big Sur, but D3 still has issues. It’s a Blizzard fault because they didn’t make corrections or they caused it !!!

Same issue here after upgrading to Big Sur, however I can play d3 decently (not as before ofc) enabling vertical sync.