Auto-Gold Pickup Radius Needs Increasing

Played a Lightning Sorc through to the end of Act 2. Was pretty happy overall. I think the thing that hit me the most playing was the auto-gold pickup feature and how tiny its radius was. More than once I ran over a pile of gold only for it to remain on the ground. It wasn’t lag, it was just an absurdly small radius.

Curious if anyone else felt the same. Personally I’d like to see the radius increased anywhere from 3x to 5x its current size.

I know the majority of gold you get is from selling items rather than picking it up, but it’s just a little OCD thing for me.

27 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe an increase by like 50% would be nice

3 Likes

I feel like it’s the same size as your reach, as if you were having to walk over to pick it up manually. I agree it does feel very small though and could use an increase. I also wouldn’t mind the delay from when it falls to the ground until you can pick it up to be shortened. Often after opening a chest and watching gold fall, I have time to run away, back, away and back again before it finally picks it up.

4 Likes

Agreed with this, sometimes I ran on top of the pile and it also does not pick up.

2 Likes

I agree. Why have auto pickup if you need to run basically ontop of it to trigger it anyway?

2 Likes

I’m not sure this is the case. I remember multiple times opening a chest and gold falling out and just standing there, waiting for the auto-gold pickup to kick in. I even waited to make sure the strangely long delay between when gold drops and when you can pick it up wasn’t the problem. Then I clicked on the gold manually and picked it up without even moving.

So, it seems like manually picking up gold has a larger radius than the auto-gold pickup.

It feels like that to me too, actually.

I am with the OP on this. I like having auto gold pick up when you run over it (saves a TON of clicking on my arthritic hands!).

BUT the radius could stand to be increased a bit.

5 Likes

You can still pick it up with your mouse… it’s really true, what so many purists said. Give the people a small QoL and they will want more QoL, until the game is flooded with that and the gameplay changes…

like having auto gold pick up when you run over it (saves a TON of clicking on my arthritic hands!)

Me too, I appreciate. And so does my mouse :slight_smile:
But the pick up distance should still be the same than with no auto pick up, because otherwise people won’t have to move or go to places they’d have to go to in the original one.

1 Like

Yes… but the whole point of the QoL is that I should be able to accomplish the same thing, in the same radius, as clicking. Both methods should be equal.

Not asking for more, but am asking for the one they DID add to work correctly.

Yeah, I am actually pretty good with QoL, esp OPTIONAL Accessibility ones that don’t impact gameplay in the smallest way for those who don’t want to use them.

3 Likes

Nope. Choices are good.

I’m glad you still have to run over the gold to pick it up. Keep it this way.

1 Like

I’ll confess to having been hyperbolic in the first post when I said it needed to be increased 3x or 5x. I don’t need to enter one of the little side chambers in the Countess’ Tower and just instantly pickup all the gold on the floor after walking through the doorway. That said, running over the same pile of gold three times in a row and not picking it up really does defeat the purpose of this feature.

I don’t know if it’s just buggy for some reason and it’s not always registering gold for pickup or not, but like I said, if I have a greater range to pickup gold just by clicking than with the auto-pickup feature, then I think it needs its range expanded.

I agree with MissCheetah. I played this game back when it came out in 2000. Arthritis plays a part in why I was so glad to see this feature added. That and increased risk of carpal tunnel. This is a good accessibility feature, and it can stand to be improved upon (or if bugged, then looked into and fixed).

1 Like

Ok, but then the automatic radius has to be smaller, than the manual pickup radius imo. Otherwise it feels like an upgrade, not QoL.

I mean, take the countess as example. If you increase the radius, you don’t have to do anything, to pick up all the gold. This is not QoL as far as I understand it.

I mean, it’s not the biggest thing in the world. But I think, the radius suffices completely, such that picking up gold is already way more convenient.

I read this as, “both methods have to be equal, but the original method has to be superior.”

The thing with auto-gold pickup is that it’s an optional quality of life feature, and considering it focuses on gold, which isn’t the most useful currency in the game at later levels, this isn’t the kind of optional quality of life feature that even feels like you’d be purposefully weakening yourself by not using it.

There is no valid reason why the radius cannot be increased in size.

My countess experience was different. I spent a good fifteen seconds or so running around over piles of gold just trying to pick them up, because I could run over the same pile multiple times and not get it.

Personally, I can’t say I see an issue in increasing the radius to the point that you would just pick it all up for that matter. In early game, real gold comes from Staves/Wands/Scepters with skills on them, or chest armor pieces, or throwing weapons. What you pick up off the ground does not compare in the slightest. As I said earlier, once you get to end-game content, gold isn’t a useful currency anymore. Its not as if increasing the radius will affect gameplay in a meaningful way.

1 Like

No. If you give automatic gold pickup the same radius, it is trivially superior. HENCE the automatic radius has to be smaller, such that both are equal…

which is exactly why the new feature should not be completely superior to the old one.

But it is important in the early stage. If you want to shop a teleport staff in act 3 normal, you should plan for that and accordingly pick up only items, which are worth enough gold. (Just an example)

Also leveling a nightmare merc along the way can be costy.

See above.

Sorry, but then get some aim… on e the gold is popped, it can be in your pocket within 2 seconds.

“Hey, you arthritis sufferers, get over your arthritis and aim your mouse better.” Thanks for the amazing advice. I suppose you’d tell someone with depression to just stop being depressed and expect results?

1 Like

Iirc auto gold pickup scales with light radius so maybe as well get more light radius items it will get better?

That’s completely off topic. Accessibility for disabled players is something completely different, than upgrading standard features to superior ones.

I am all in for controller Support, which might be the best solution for people, who can’t properly use a mouse, without being in pain or without missclicking all the time.

I thought it was small at 1st too but im not sure i would like it bigger either.

Reason being is that if it is too big the pick up radius would overlap with other players and since the gold is FFA who does it go to? Would also give an even greater advantage for gold gains to melee characters.

Speaking for myself, I’ve never joined a game to play with other players and had any hangups over gold. Like I’ve said before, gold isn’t exactly a very valuable currency outside of the early game, and even then you want items that sell for a lot of gold, rather than the handful you can scoop up off of the ground.

A potential solution, I suppose, would be to either disable auto-pickup in games with more than one player, or reduce the radius gold picks up once another player has joined the game.