Arcane Orb and Wizard Spike

I personally love AO builds and am rather happy to see them get some love. I would like to suggest two small changes to the Wizard Spike.

Chance to hurl a frozen orb - 100%. This would make it possible to have a lot of interesting farming builds based off of different mechanics. Like having the most attacks per second so that you are constantly hurling AOs as you sprint across the map with teleport and mirror images.

Arcane Orb now pierces. This would buff the two arcane options of Arcane orb up a lot. They suffer greatly from having low base damage and not being able to pierce. By piercing the damage might get out of control, so maybe it can pierce up to 2-3 times. It would be a pretty good nuke for trash piles at least. Doubling or tripling the damage would at least put it in line with Frozen Orb.

I would buff the damage of the non-Frozen Orb runes.

Lightning and Fire is Piercing. The only one not piercing is normal one and the arcane with the small radius. I think adding the piercing stuff for one rune is not worth it, when we have 3 piercing options.

I would see some love for the whole Arcane Element. The passive is a bit useless.

It’s not so much the runes are bad, as the damage simply isn’t competitive. Simple doubling “Scorch” and Obliteration runes would be more then enough; Scorch would be back-loaded at 440% up front and 1400% DoT (The DoT would have to stack, though, obviously) Obliteration would be fine as 1,400% continuously. Spark, the worst of the bunch, would probably need to be tripled. Spark doing 1047% (max 1,351% at cap) should be very on par with Frozen Orb, but you could build lightning.

tldr: piercing doesn’t really matter. It’s the damage.

1 Like

If the no rune, obliterate, and arcane orbit pierced they could explode on each impact. If a small huddle of five enemies was pierced through that would result in 5 explosions in that AOE. That’s effectively 5 times the damage. That’s what I was imagining for the skills at least. Yes a buff helps. Straight buffs are lacking in dynamics and a bit boring.

@ That’s what I was imagining for the skills at least. Yes a buff helps. Straight buffs are lacking in dynamics and a bit boring.

but they are easier to implement. I also like the basic idea. No piercing, less radius higher damage. Then only FO got buffed.

I don’t disagree, but there’s no way in heck we’re ever get Obliterate to peirce. it would far suprass Hungering Arrow + GoD, I think. By a large margin. I think the best we could hope for is simple number tuning, but …I give you Season 22. We didn’t even get that.

Putting a cap on number of pierces or a probability to pierce would keep it tame.

I know we’re basically begging for buffs and asking for more is ridiculous. I have no idea why they just don’t run through and adjust the scalars. It can’t possibly so hard and time consuming to change a 1 to 3. Anyhow, I digress.

Buriza worked on Wiz the last time I tested.

Never tried with Arcane Orbit tho.

1 Like

I have a legacy buriza with like 46% pierce somewhere; but I highly doubt it works! :slight_smile:

Test it. The last time i tested with Obliterate, it absolutely did pierce.

That’s rather clever. Didn’t think of that.

If they would buff up the percent chance to 100% hurl a Frozen Orb on the wizard spike you could combine it with the buffs to the signature spells to machine gun them out. Just a thought. At least in this season with the fourth cube slot.

I just checked. Equipped Buriza absolutely works with wizard spells. (current 2 pierce Buriza) On my wizard toon Cyradis.

Tested Obliterate and Arcane Orbit as well as Magic Missile.

Thinking there may be something cool with this, as cubing Unstable Sceptre with Buriza equipped and using Black Hole to group enemies was not terrible for damage on a toon that was just thrown together in 5 minutes and wearing un-optimized jewelry/bracers.

Thats actually interesting. I had no idea a Wizard could cube Buriza, let alone it working with Obliterate. But there is quite a lot of space between 10% chance to peirce (That’s what Buriza is, right?) and 100% chance to pierce. One scales quadratically, and one is scaling negatively.

It’s a fun toy, but you can’t build around it. But you might be right 100% piercing is all Arcane Orb needs. At least it doesn’t buff Frozen Orb.

I didnt check the cube (as it clearly states that the effect is DH only). I was equipping it.

It seems to pierce quite often actually, much more than 10%.

Its easy to test, so maybe someone can get some real, solid numbers on it.

My mistake, it says projectiles pierce twice, but it then says the legendary power only applies to Demon Hunters.

Yes. So the effect happens if equipped even on a non-DH, but it is not available in the WizCube.

Would be interesting to try on a WD to see if it works there as well.

Obliterate piercing would be pretty fun in a big dense pile. A nice pop. It’s AOE is pretty tiny, too tiny compared to anything else really, so it might be fairly balanced. Might have a small exploding palm feel to it. Would feel painfully slow on single target.

Obliterate should have higher crit chance or crit damage or something. Too small of an AOE to have such lame duck damage. Higher base damage is easiest, though more blah.

Buriza would have to pierce at least 5x times before it had a hope in hell of being T/C meta. DHs can pierce 20 times with VGoD and are not meta.

Teleport:Fracture clones also fire Arcane Orb, but do not get the Buriza pierce effect, nor the Mirrorball effect.

I could see a good build with FO on the bar if they benefit from DMO6. Mirror Image clones “kinda” fire them as well, but dont seem to attack nearly as much.

1 Like

I can care less about META. Im more interested in fun, obscure builds that can run GR100.

After that, I just lose interest.

2 Likes