An old Wizard emerges from the shadows

D4?!? Wwwooorrrrddd! Where my OG’s at?

7 Likes

It’s just us and barbs coming back from D3. Other classes can suck it!

7 Likes

This time I’m gonna start on the US server

6 Likes

Word apo. I just don’t know if I’ll have enough time to be the influencer I was the last time. We. shall. see! Besides, knowing Blizzard, this game’s launch will likely be a few years out…

7 Likes

Just do another series of rap videos

3 Likes

Boostuh - How have you been? You still keep up with Flomaxx?

3 Likes

Good, you? Yes <3 me some FL0Maxx.

3 Likes

Well I’m probably not gonna write another 17000 word essay.
We can just enjoy our retirement and yell at the younglings how back in the day we got carpal tunnel syndrome from playing wizard. And we liked it that way!

3 Likes

I think I might be the oldest wizard still playing D3 :wink: I will, of course, be joining my fellow OG Wizs in Vizjerei for D4.

5 Likes

Sorcery and wizardry is quite different in Lore terms. I think D4 treatment of each class is a bit simplistic.

Sorcery tends to have negative connotations where as wizradry has a positive one.

2 Likes

Do you have a source for that? As far as I know, if anything, it’s the other way around.
Sorcerer/Sorceress is the default title of the members of the mage clans. Diablo 1 and 2 had a canonical Sorcerer and Sorceress. They are the traditional spellcasters of Diablo lore.

Wizards on the other hand are described as rebellious, careless and power hungry, studying forbidden spells, etc. The term itself is said to be derogatory.

Here’s what Valthek had to say about Wizards:

People feared the mages they named wizards. Wizards drove the world to the brink of destruction time and time again, mages of such untamed power that the earth trembled at their machinations. They treated with the demons of the Burning Hells and made pacts to give us all to ruin. They cheated death and tore the very fabric of creation.

And Abd al-Hazir:

Owing to my lack of tolerance for those who would use magic towards their own nefarious ends, many have assumed that I am averse to the practice of the magical arts on a philosophical level. Nothing could be farther from the truth. My quarrel is with those sorcerers who dismiss the ancient traditions and teachings – teachings that have been honed over millennia in order to preserve respect for authority and the rule of law.

Recently the youth of Caldeum have fallen prey to the overblown stories of just such a delinquent wizard. That is correct: I used the uncouth term wizard, not sorcerer. It seems that even the title of a civilized magic wielder is too restrictive for this young upstart. Through my contacts at the Yshari Sanctum of the mage clans, I am one of the few who actually know the truth behind the rumors now sweeping our streets regarding this hellion who flaunts her magic irresponsibly.
[…]

Now of course you could argue that their perspective is wrong and anyways people who hate Wizards are probably not a good source to determine the overall social standing of Wizards. But that still by far doesn’t mean that sorcery = bad, wizardry = good.
And D4 having a Sorceress instead of a Wizard tells us basically nothing.

4 Likes

I’m going to log in an try to play tonight. Probably a completely different meta than when I left.

3 Likes

Melkor, my favourite raper

3 Likes

Sup my dudes!!! :smiley: Long time no see you all :smiley:

3 Likes

Stalkers gonna stalk.

2 Likes

A wizard cloak and ring, are the only evidence of a mysterious identity. The cowl is not empty, the shadows seem deeper than normal, and there identity can not be seen. It is a classic wizard cloak, from long ago.

Hi I am not a D1 D2 expert but I know History and Ethymology. In modern era like today a lot of confusion makes wizard sorcerer and mage somewhat synonym. They are not. At the origin a wizard was in reference of a sage. Wiz =wise. So it was more like Socrates kinda people philosophic. A Sorcerer was mostly associated with people doing what we would now call chemistry science. Potion, druidism evocation of spirits…But in History both terms mixed. The concept of good magic vs bad magic is very new. In middle ages every magic was punishable by death. Also the Wizard look of triangular hats etc. is all creation of a very dark part of history. It dates back from middle ages in germany. Jews used to be persecuted as being in sectarian classes. At that time in Holy Roman Empire jews where wearing hats named judenhut. And antisemitics images portrayed jews with triangular hats, and ugly shaped nose and tooth. Also Diablo franchise is in fact based on Old Testament or Torah. How? Bellial is a demon in OT it means worthless. Also you remember Magda she’s from Kabbalah. In Hebrew it is an esoteric method, discipline, and school of thought.

1 Like

I did not know that, thanks for sharing.

I don’t usually get into discussions about fantasy terminology, but when I do I try to stick with information from the specific context of the cinematic universe, game world, book, or whatever it is.

Diablo lore is defined by Blizzard, through bits of in-universe literature, quotes, cut scenes, comics, etc.
The terms they use are of course rooted in the real world, but at a certain point the real world dictionary definitions don’t apply anymore, because Blizzard has provided enough in-universe information to make up their own definition.

Just like clerics in the movie Equilibrium are not the same as clerics in real life and not the same as clerics in WoW.
I guess that’s the primary feature of a fantasy world, isn’t it? Things are not the same as in real life.

Maybe Blizzard thought really hard about the distinction between sorcerers, wizards and mages. Maybe they didn’t. But as far as I can tell, they did at the very least make sure to stay consistent with their usage of the terms. And honestly, that’s all that really matters as far as I’m concerned.

Sorry, kinda rambling. It’s an interesting thing to think about.

You bring up a good subject to further express points of view. I want to stay on topic. Most Diablo history is a digital record. Following a scripted knowledge, or uses incantation to order an approved action, like stitching together your apprentice hood.

Because diablo is a collective record of events that relate to each class of character, the story is designed to award knowledge based on winning the duel. That is not inclusive of all eras of history or revolution, but it dose grant access to proof images used, to access more information about each class.

Character proofs mainly relate to the idea of the bill in political satire, where titanic images and giant ideas fought, for the ideals of freedom or democracy.

Invention and the skills of a war collage like west point, use scouts to show the difference in rank. (You are not required to join.). It would be easier to follow stage magic as a tradition, rather than reference philosophical ideals used by assassins.

History includes several breaks in knowledge and shadow lords, who change state to keep a secret identity secret. I can never tell if that is the case with secret societies of magic.

OGs!! I miss you guys, and apparently I missed this thread!

Let our mother Lilith give us a whole new world to rock!