A "Re" Without The "Master" - Alpha Review & Attitude Concerns

So having spent the weekend playing on my streamer account, and having discussed the matter with a few other streamers who were new to the game, as well as other friends who did not make it into the Alpha but used to play D2 with me when we were in high school, the unfortunate conclusion is that while D2R is certainly a Re of the original game, it currently and most certainly lacks the Master part, at least at the moment.

Though an initial glance at the graphics engine would praise its fidelity and enhancements to the original, once you’re past the “oooh, shiny!” phase, it doesn’t do much. Most spell effects look underwhelming - in some cases, outright worse than the original. Many skills look less powerful/nasty than their original counterpart, chief among them Blizzard but it’s hardly the only one, and we have yet to see what they did to the other 4 classes.

The UI is merely “alright”, with plenty of places where it is actually unintuitively placed. Would you like to know how many skill points and stat points you have left? Too bad, because neither do the Devs, apparently, who have made those numbers not only blend in to the UI but also made their locations not stand out anymore. The font is too clean, and nowhere is it more obvious than when items are on the ground. What happened to the nice, bold font of the original?

Gameplay is painfully affected by your screen resolution, granting major advantages to people playing on wider screens. This has been covered in-depth already so I’ll skip on that element.

Bugs plague the game as well, but those too have plenty of threads of their own, so let’s pass over all that.

In most ways, this plays exactly like D2 did, and that’s both a good and a bad thing. While I found myself reliving my nostalgia for a few hours, once that wore off I began feeling like the game was clunkier than the original. Animations don’t cancel out smoothly and in places look forced, something about movement seems off but I struggle to find the right words to describe it.

Again, it was great for the first few hours. It recaptured that feeling of playing D2 for the first time, wandering around Act I and exploring every little nook and cranny looking for extra monsters to kill and looking forward to my next skill point so I could see something new or grow in power. That much? Pretty good.

And then came the bad parts. The opinion from new players and streamers is… not favorable, and I completely see why. Once my own nostalgia wore off, I left myself wondering “could I really play this for the next year or two?” and the answer was an unfortunate and clear “no, not as it is right now”.

The strategy of trying to appeal to purists isn’t going to work for new players, or even players who originally left D2. What we’ve seen on these forums, over the last few days, from the purists, is outrage, entitlement, demanding invites over “new” players, claiming it’s unfair to market this game to anyone but them, and general hate threads directed at the Devs and at streamers who were not experts on the game.

The loyalty of a purist is extremely easily lost. Lightning looks off? Refund. Changed the character models or clothing? Refund. Auto-gold? Refund. Other prospective changes in the wings? REFUND! Gems look bad? Gloves look weird? These aren’t my spell effects? Refund, refund, refund. The smallest changes and flaws are causing a barrage of threads, refund threats and general outrage from this so-called “die hard fan” demographic. If you were to change the game any further, it would get worse.

Meanwhile, new players and new streamers are failing to get into the game. Outdated mechanics and controls for the sake of fidelity, lack of a very very basic tutorial for players new to the genre, unintuitive features like how skill points work, and how if you are interested in endgame AT ALL you really need to look up a guide for your class, you can’t just “figure it out”. Oh, and of course, who could fail to mention the DISDAIN for these new players?

On these forums, and in their streams alike, these new players are being criticized for trying to get into a game that “isn’t theirs”, that they “didn’t support” for the last twenty years and so are not allowed to defile with their grubby, casual new player hands. That this behavior is being allowed by Blizzard in the first place is, without question, disgusting.

That these threats and harassment are coming from the same people who threaten refunds over the smallest of changes makes it even worse.

This all begs the question: who is this alleged remaster for?

The die hard “fans” who are threatening to leave in droves over the smallest changes and/or prospective changes, and who dedicate their every waking minute on these forums to drive off people who suggest the game could be changed for the better? Or that the game could do better to lure in new players?

The brand new players who have never played D2 before and might want to discover it? Or who feel that it could be a gem if its outdated mechanics were patched?

The people who liked D2 but not enough to keep playing it, but might play an improved version, or a version with certain changes?

Until that question is answered, I can’t see where this is headed. What’s clear however is that a major attitude adjustment is required from people here on these forums. We’re all supposed to be here for our shared love of D2, but instead these forums have become a haven for the poisonous, the toxic and the entitled, driving away new players, streamers who aren’t hardcore into the game, and prospective returning players.

53 Likes

Some purists will tell you that they want bugs and they belong in game :slight_smile:

But honestly majority of things you mentioned is nothing important. It feels to me like you forgot that its “alpha”.

10 Likes

I do agree with this btw. Well said.

5 Likes

No, its great the way it is.

Gladly the devs have the same approach - keep the game how it is and how we love it for more than 20 years, with only graphical and minor QoL updates.

11 Likes

I believe that op is trying to say that not many purist will actualy play remaster for months +. They will just experience nostalgia while playing old game in new graphics finish maybe hell and stop playing.

2 Likes

I actually think it´s the opposite.

The “purists” are playing this game for 20 year and have kept it alive (and are the reason this game gets remastered in the first place)

Most of the new players will just be there for the hype, play it a few days/weeks and will hop on the next hype train - regardless on what you will change/update.

29 Likes

This is just a remaster though, to give an old Classic a facelift and bring it into the modern era. Making drastic changes to it would kind of defeat it’s purpose.
A remake would be a different story.

Ofc minor things like a proper tutorial or making the UI more readable would be fine with me. All in all it would take A LOT to keep me from playing the game.

Diablo 4 is also on the way if this game feel to old school, which I’m also cautiously optimistic about, as it looks like it might get a bit closer to it’s roots of dark and grotesque. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh really? Where are they? Because i dont know almost anyone who is purist from community of players i know.

I honestly belive that majority of purists didnt play the game longer than just few years and not frequently. Because any loayal player who kept playing long enough will want qol changes or even new stuff in future.

For me is purist someone who is not playing game 20 years. Its someone who played it 20 years ago and thats difference.
I have seen opinions of some purists here on forum and i refuse to believe they played more than 3 years actively because of what and how they think and talk about game.

This remaster should be done for players who will play it 2+ years again. And design choices made for them. Not making game easier or too different but add new stuff and even more qol changes. Fix all bugs. And i mean all, even those abused by people for better loot.

Then start adding new stuff to find, equip and new locations for challenge.

I dont care about purists who will play two months to relive they childhood game in new coat. I want remaster to play it again several years.

7 Likes

So don’t play it then?

If you and all your streamer friends didn’t enjoy their experience in the alpha, then you don’t ever have to play this game again.

You won’t even have to hang around the forums anymore!

14 Likes

I agree and that is why I have argued for specific QoL features. I have played D2 for about 16 years or so off and on and I have played Slash Diablo, PoD, and D2R through a few seasons of each. I enjoy the multiplayer aspects of Diablo more and I argue for things that will make multiplayer feel better and more rewarding for new players. It seems like some people here are so resistant to small changes that would improve the game tremendously, especially for new players. It’s like people want to keep the game the exact same with new graphics and nothing else. If they don’t do more QoL things like stackables or currency tabs, charm inventory, loot filters, and yes, maybe even an optional personal loot, this game is going to die. Once all the new players realize how clunky and outdated some systems are and leave and the purists get bored of the same content with shiny new graphics, who’s going to be left? I hope that Blizzard adds more QoL features and adds new content and balancing patches in the future. I welcome new players to D2 as I want the game to thrive. Nobody is talking about changing D2 at it’s core btw. All of the private servers I have played with features I mentioned still feel like Diablo.

Edit: Sorry for the big wall of text. Kind of ranted. I’m on mobile and it’s hard to organize.

8 Likes

Its fine on mobile too, it suck lol, constant autocorrect :slight_smile: i will actualy create new topic because i am curious what really people expect from remaster.

1 Like

Weird that I feel almost the exact opposite than you.

I am personally this kind of person - I´m playing this game on and off for about two decades. And in the last 10+ years I especially enjoy the factor that it never changes and thing stay the way they are.

D2 is complex enough to be playable a lifetime, perfect stuff is so rare you can keep playing forever and you will never be done.

If you play D3 or PoE and take a break - for lets say a year - after you come back basically everything has changed. Your knowledge, your gear from the past - basically worthless.

I don´t enjoy that and there are many more people on this boat than you might imagine.

17 Likes

I am curious, what do you mean by on and off? How many hours you played weekly in last two years for example?

Idk, i am part of D2 community for 20 years and i would even say well known person in my country by many players and i know a lot of people who played/play d2 and i cant tell i know many purists.

It means I play other games inbetween, but always came back.

Not that it matters much and it depends alot on how much time I have - but it ranges between a few hours every few days to basically playing non stop 16hrs a day at weekends.

Again, I feel the exact opposite. Of course I know people who are up for some minor changes and some people dream about a new expansion - but the fear that this will screw up the original experience is something that basically every invested D2 player is aware of.

Leave changes to mods - thats the general consensus. That way nothing can go wrong. People who think different have usually not really thought about the outcomes of things which sounds nice in the first place, but are horrendous in the long run.
OR they prefer ARPGs like D3 more - and just want to change D2R to a D3 expansion.

4 Likes

I have to disagree man. You’re splitting hairs based on a Alpha version of the game. Just chill, they know what they’re doing.

I have to disagree man. You’re splitting hairs based on a Alpha version of the game. Just chill, they know what they’re doing.

I remember people were saying the same thing about W3:Refunded…

Completely false. I do not like D3 at all. Neither does my brother. We are both for changes that will improve the game. I really dislike the “let a mod do it” attitude also. Do you think Blizzard is going to let something like PD2 exist for D2R? They will support offline modding sure, but not online.

I just know how clunky vanilla D2 can feel and want some improvements. I also know that new people that are going to try the game, like my uncle and younger brother, will probably quit once they get tired of how clunky it feels.

5 Likes

Depends on what will blizz allow to change. My goal is play multiplayer several years. Game need some changes to be playable more years. It wont survive long if purists will be targeted audience by devs. I think that.

2 Likes

Diablo 2 still has playerbase over 20 years later. I think purist will keep the game alive just fine.

11 Likes