[2.7.0] List of GoD DH Rework Ideas

Yeah, I know.

Not everyone has these huge numbers in paragon, shouldn’t need over 3000 to be able to clear a 130
After all these years DH can have a strong set as well

2 Likes

I think that’s intentional. I have theories about why this nerf happened, which I’ll keep to myself because people don’t like to hear them. Unpleasant memories and interactions.
However, why developers try to redirect the build into other skillrunes is a mystery to me. Perhaps, it’s about server performance but nobody can tell I guess. GoD6 can climb again at GRs once they gathered enough data in this PTR, but I don’t think it’ll hit back to GR150 again.

I came across a proposal to have missile dampening also create a pierce cap. which I liked a lot since it would mean that GoD HA builds would just need to avoid the affix (rare enough to not be a big issue IMO). I think a fix that involves trying to retune GoD is going to be tricky to balance and I don’t think it needs to be changed in the first place if the missile dampening interaction can be addressed without nerfing gear.

2 Likes

the best solution is: remove that stoopid misile dampenjing affix because it is useless, it doesnt make the game harder, just easier, misile dampening has no sense in d3 is useless for everything u can imagine just REMOVE MISILE DAMPENING

6 Likes

Well done Iria!

Another option: Let the missile dampening be what it should be - a full protection against missiles.
Let the shield work as a wall, arrows can not pierce and disappear.
When the DH is within the shield, the arrows pierce only once the elite (or trash inside) and disappear at the shield.
For Ranged-DHs this means another bad elite affix like wallers or spinners - but it’s very rare, and we will deal with it - better than the total nerv of the GoD-Set.

2 Likes

Delete Missile Dump from the game.
Add some numbers to bola

DH fixed (wont happen tho)

Yeah this is my favorite proposal thus far. It’s a gimmick. It was neat in 2012, no one cares anymore.

Great post, no emotion and lashing out. I could probably learn from this :slight_smile:

If this was about set diversity, or providing QOL outside of the few maps/mobtypes we can play, then brilliant, I’m in. I won’t complain about that and it’ll be fun to try out, but that’s not what they’ve said… and why I reacted with anger instead :smiley:

Their issue is with MD, right? And I’m guessing now that they just don’t want MD abuse on the RG when our followers gain nemesis? I mean, what DH is achieving with MD today isn’t an issue… the leaderboards don’t lie.

How about just take MD out of the pylon spawn pool then? Along with the spinners, because they 1-shot us and MD is ironically the only way we can stay in a game once they turn up. No MD for boss, problem solved?

Again, I really wish this was about diversity/improvement but if it was they’d have said that. I’m guessing this is just a situation like the Marauder Auto-Fire set, where bitter children from other classes complained and then bliz boosted hydra for wiz and created the necro… and gave it both to them instead.

In fact we’ll probably see MD interaction given to necros in a couple of seasons time… it’s just too much fun and some deluded exec at blizz probably still thinks s/he’s going to sell all those cookie bot accounts a necro expansion they’ll never need and driving away fans in the process. Hell, I’d pay monthly for that guy/gal to just f-off :smiley:

Aaaaaand I’m back to being emotional and angry and saying mean stuff I don’t mean. To the poor bugger being forced to work on this… just do your best, there’s a lot of upset people out here what you’ve done in the PTR to us so far is horrific.

If a hardworking GoDDH can’t clear 150’s solo next season, without some awful colourblind-hating season gimmick then meh :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Great work again @Iria let’s hope they will open their eyes again for the huge mistake done to kill the set completely. Waiting for the next update to see if its worth putting time to test again.

1 Like

While we can all mostly agree that Missile Dampening is an issue with GoD Hungering Arrow (Devouring Arrow). But is this more a bigger problem with how Devouring arrow increases in intensity in dmg with each pierce? 70% > 140% > 210% > 280% > etc etc, and Missile Dampening intensifies the effect even greater…Basically being able to pull off a negative effect to what it’s supposed to do, instead of actually weakening missiles, it strengthens them…Atleast for Devouring Arrow anyway, or even Scatter Shot as well…

I guess I’m looking more for the root cause of Bliz’s decision in nerfing GoD the way they did. Unless it was just overlooked, Scatter Shot still holds the same effect of piercing almost infinite times…But also doesn’t have it’s dmg intensified the way Devouring Arrow did.

1 Like

I like your list, and I would love for GoD to be a viable build in the future.

5 Likes

It’s more like 1.0 → 1.7 → 2.4 → 3.1 etc. as the multiplier grows.

Depending on how missile dampening is coded, it could be a quick fix to simply set the pierce chance to 0 for an arrow inside the dampening field. But if the pierce chance is a global variable, you can’t easily have a dynamic pierce chance per arrow (this would also make solution 3 impossible).

In the end, these suggestions are very close to simply removing missile dampening from the game in that they only address the missile dampening issue and nothing else. It is possible that the developers used missile dampening as an excuse to nerf the class overall but didn’t fully communicate that.

I’ll add an alternative to solution 8 (remove missile dampening or set pierce cap to 0 inside it) in the OP.

6 Likes

Great suggestions, and great presentation. Thank you for that!

GoD in its current PTR state is probably the worst possible fix for the MD issue, even if I generally dislike every play style based around pulling monsters and high AD, as GoD is currently played.

I would like to see a change that would somewhat lessen the pressure to pull monsters together, so that the set becomes a little bit more balanced in low density. Therefore, a general pierce limit would probably be a good idea. But every solution for the MD issue without nerfing GoD to a pure speed build would be ok for me.

I have a lot of other things in my head right now, so I can’t really find the time to concentrate on DH balancing. But it’s great to read this thread here, with a lot of good ideas. Again, thank you all!
(No worries, nothing related to the current illness, except the usual home office stuff. Just a shift in priorities.)

2 Likes

My suggestion it’s do something like a momentum buff. Like increase the cap to 60(or between 40-80), instead of 20 and address the impact of stacks(1-2 instead of 4) on MS(to not increase the mobility) and damage(8-15%). Because that path wouldn’t mess creating a powercreep on speed, while could address the lack of push damage. If I remember correctly they are multiplicative.

While also put the effect of up 2-3 pierces on the skill rune(which would affect all sets, without mess with items). The only unique aspect from the set it’s momentum if I remember correctly.

The other idea would be swap the source of damage for other stuff, like the strafe while maintaining the benefit of using generators, similar raekors case(charge increasing the damage of spenders), primary could improve the damage of strafe for something like 4-8 sec(to align with focus and restraint rings), almost like istvan blades works, keeping the need of shot one primary in the middle of strafe.

The idea of multiple pierces and multipliers on things like that, most likely impacts on game performance(bone spear, bone spirit and stuff like that). So my suggestion would be “avoid” problematic mechannics while improving things in a healtier way.

The set improves primary skills but often any kind of set who uses primary as most reliable source of damage wouldn’t perform that great, the monk has crazy multipliers and even so the set won’t work well, barb have like B tier at most. The only S tier with primary was DH, so it’s not “awkward” to see where the nerf tries to address.

The philosophy behind d3 was primary generate resource to spenders deal damage(that’s why their multipliers are too low and the example of FnR), it’s like break the most “primitive” concept of the game, while I love primary skills receiving love and becoming viable builds. It’s a bit awkward to see spenders doing less damage than generators. They’re more impactful(mechannic wise and more “costly” to do) so they deserve being at higher tiers even if I love playing frenzy barb I think spenders needs to be one tier higher.

So for GoD, my Idea would be OR focus on momentum buffs until reach at least B or A tier OR just swap the damage to Strafe and deal properly with it. While solving the issues of pierces and stuff like that. Both solutions wouldn’t mess much about the current playstyle of the build while addressing the problems they trying to solve. Also they need to give some love on impale build.

Simple idea : erase the missile dampening elites from the game.

4 Likes

There is no need to rework GOD DH !!!
The only probelms is Missile Dumpeneing, and this one make also GOD DH a bit stronger, maybe even 3 levels above.

Just fix Misisle Dumpening, either remove it from the game, it causes lags also, either just make HA to pierce with a delay on Dumpening shield, meaing in Dumpening shield to tick dmage pierce only once per xx msec.

5 Likes

This Blizz, This please!

1 Like

Erase Wallers too =)

2 Likes

Why does Devouring Arrow increase in dmg with each consecutive pierce anyway…? So I’m kinda in agreement with:

and

But I’m really surprised they just don’t give each pierce some sort of diminishing returns instead. Capping the pierce at 2 just makes the rune obsolete. Shatter Shot will soon be obsolete if they nerf it as well.

I was thinking instead of each pierce gaining more dmg, why wouldn’t it decrease in dmg instead, and when that dmg is 0 it would just…break. So maybe this still kinda falls in line with some of your other solution options. I dunno… It just seems to make the most sense to me. Give it higher end dmg, still allow it to pierce, but each pierce has it’s dmg diminished…?

But still either fix or remove Missile Dampening so pierces can’t exploit it as it currently does.

1 Like