😈 Diablo 4 Should Be It's Own Game (With Elements Of All Diablo's) D4 ≠ D3 or D2

I will admit that I’m a hardcore D2 fan and I was originally mad at the direction D3 took after I blindly bought multiple copies of D3 for me and my friends. I started to enjoy the game after patch 1.03, but my friends never did and never returned.

I havn’t seen much of the D4 previews yet because I feel like its too early and anything can happen or change (remember the 2005 d3 videos everyone expected the game to be like). My only hope is that Diablo 4 is NOT exactly like D2 or D3. My hope is that they take the best qualities of both and build it into diablo 4.

Here are somethings I’d like to see kept from D2.

1. Use Diablo 2’s character skill system
  2. Use Diablo 2’s Gear Design
  3. Keep Diablo 2’s Charms
  4. Keep Diablo 2’s Chat room system
  5. Keep Diablo 2’s ability to trade items
  6. Allow teleport classes to teleport like D2 allowed
  7. Keep Diablo 2, 8 player games.

Here are some things I’d like to see kept from D3.

1. Use Diablo 3’s game engine
  2. Use Diablo 3’s higher loot drops
  3. Create something similar to Rifts/Grifts
  4. If paragon is created, do not make it endless. Cap it.
  5. Keep diablos legendary gems.
  6. Keep Diablo 3’s clan system
  7. Keep Diablo 3’s cube system
  8. Keep Kadala
  9. Keep the Mystic
  10. Keep primals (maybe not ancients)

Here are some things I’d like D4 to improve on

1. Sets can not dictate 100% of character power
  2. Keep sets to 4 pieces of gear instead of 6.
  3. Cooldowns really are not a diablo thing, but if it stays keep them at a max of 30 seconds.
  4. Bring back Dodge!
  5. Bring back Magic Find
  6. Dont make the story line feel so worthless like in D3
  7. Do not have an abundance of difficulties like in D3
  8. Allow us to hold more rings and amulets (this has always seemed odd considering we have 10 fingers and big necks) Just make them balanced and it will work.
  9. Bring back items that have more than 4 primary stats.
  10. Allow trading, but instead of limiting to being traded within the first 2 hours like in D2, make it where the character has to play with that item for 6 hours to be able to trade it. The idea is to trade for upgrades to your characters gear.

I’m sure there are other things people might want to keep, but If diablo 4 has a mixture of both of the best elements that made those games great then D4 will superceed both and make everyone happy, otherwise their is a big risk that D4 will be the last diablo by alienating half the fans who dont feel like D4 has any elements of D3 or D2 in them. I’d also suggest adding D1 elements to the game, but I cant rememeber much about that game to say what was good anymore.

4 Likes

regarding D1: Instant knockback for yourself/enemies and hit recovery/stuns from normal attacks (triggers even more if you try to run away).

Diablo IV is using a brand new game engine

I strongly hope that Diablo 4 will NOT use Diablo 3’s higher look drops rates, or Diablo 3’s other systems. What does Fisher Price have in common with the real thing? How will you build an early-90’s style quality Lego set by using Duplo pieces?

Diablo 3’s constant dropping of multi-coloured gear and calling garbage gear rare is dishonest and it devalues the meaning of the words gear is labelled with and cheapens the experience while making it feel fake because it is fake.

Diablo 3’s loot-drop system is a cringy lie, lacking any integrity, and it prevents meaningful experiences. I don’t want to participate in another Blizzard lie.

Diablo 4 shouldn’t be Diablo 2 or 3, but it should continue the series on after Diablo 2 and as if Diablo 3 never happened. Diablo 3 has nothing to offer a respectable continuation of series and to the extent that Blizzard does not wash its hands of Diablo 3 when making Diablo 4, Diablo 4 will degrade in its quality and integrity and the final product will suffer for it.

2 Likes

Except its incredible success compared to diablo 2… It sold much better for a reason. It would be incredibly boring if a fully geared character could run all blues…

Diablo 3 sold huge because of the fame and popularity of Diablo 2, and because the entire gaming market had grown exponentially since the release of Diablo 2 until the release of Diablo 3.

Diablo 2 was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records for being the fastest-selling PC game ever released up to that point.

Diablo 2 sold huge because of what it was. Diablo 3 sold huge because of what Diablo 2 was.

Have you played Diablo 2? D2 characters aren’t carrying all normal items. Item colours isn’t what makes a game good and interesting, either.

5 Likes

The reason is probably, it was released over a decade later :v

2 Likes

D3 sales include all platforms. D2 wasn’t on consoles. Big difference so it’s hard to really compare the sales records.

3 Likes

D:I is going to be that, if the game is release one day…

While I understand your opinion, D3 wasn’t what I expected and without RoS I wouldn’t even play this game, the fact remains that D3 has been a 1st experience of this franchise for many and it sold way better than D1 & D2 togheter.
Honestly, I prefer run countless GR to progress rather than do the Travincal for charms & runes or Baalrun for XP endlessly, but progression in D2 was more gratifying.

1 Like

Yes and i was bored out of my mind. The slow scrolling textboxes were atrocious wastes of time and it felt hard to get invested in the story at all. Inventory space issues, having to haul around scrolls that cant stack on top of one another, having to identify every item you find… I was completely miserable trying to force myself to find something to like about it.

It does not hold up to modern standards for a decent game.

1 Like

Issues that the average player can’t handle.

2 Likes

D3s success also comes from the companies success and different marketing strategies than when D2 was released. If they were made at the same time and with the same concepts I truly believe D2, with minor tweaks for modernization, would out due D3 tremendously.

2 Likes

Being able to bot 24/7 and convert in game wealth to tax free real life money had nothing to do with it…

2 Likes

Not many took advantage of the RMAH. It that were the case, they never would have scrapped it and their plans for a second expansion in favor of moving on to D4.

agreed

agreed, but they don’t already:

actives, passives, options, Greater gems…
-are already the reason the best builds are copied from others and not self made…

agreed!

and my preference for D4:
-cut the anime/cartoons,
-make the Lore more of a mirror of Human properties and Human History.

Diablo 2 sold huge because of the fame and popularity of Diablo 1, and because the entire gaming market had grown exponentially since the release of Diablo 1 until the release of Diablo 2.

1 Like

IRS made them remove RMAH.

You got a source on that?

While true I want improved versions of the best of D3, D1 with maybe some of D1 thrown in. An improvement over all three games is what D4 should be.

I don’t know if it is a good idea to have charms in D4. Even if they implemented the idea of D3’s talisman system for storing charms. Still they will take up some space. Also I don’t know how hard it will be to prevent them from being just another stat stick.

I want all different sources of power other than what is on the character to bring something different to the table other than just being a stat stick.

Trade in D4 will be, as of current iteration, some items are free to trade all of the time. Some items are bind on trade (BoT) and others are bind on account (BoA). Where the best items in the game are BoA.

Blizz said that the size of teams are four players.

We don’t need it to rain legendaries

Paragon is something that can be controlled if they don’t go linear, which is something that was hinted at during Blizzcon. This means that they will use a system of diminishing returns. That would allow them to control the power that the system gives without capping it. Plus they could also add other things to paragon that are not related to power. They will probably be keeping the last three things you mentioned on the list for D3 in some fashion.

Sets won’t dominate like they do now. More so since there will be skill points along with talent points.

Cooldowns are in D4 but there is no way of knowing of how long they will be.

If they can handle dodge right then yes.

Since it won’t rain legendaries like it does now. I can’t say what will happen to magic find.

The story in Diablo games hasn’t really be a great one as far as I am concerned. What I am talking about great is that it is so good that the majority of players don’t mind listening to it again, again, again, again, again, etc…

After the first few times per class most players just didn’t listen to the story again. So worthless is something that is just a matter of taste.

The reason we don’t have more rings and amulets is no doubt an issue of balance.

You probably want to keep ancients in the game.

If you’ve played this game back in the days when you got a starmetal kukri on wd jumps you into t3+, you could see the frustration of the players and how lower paragon people were doing better than higher paragon people just because they got that one item. Starmetal was really rare, you could play for months and not get it. So they made non-ancients easy to get so everyone would get to play with it and replaced the old rarity with ancients.

If you’re asking for no ancients, you’re just repeating history and bringing back player’s frustrations