Woohoo, first really good item!

My sorc’s really coming along thanks to the advice and assistance on these forums. Last night Andy was terrorized and I ported my sorcs little heart out for an hour. I ended up getting a +3, 20 light, 18 fire, 22 energy Eschuta’s Temper. Never seen one of those before.

Unfortunately, the +20% light dmg does not makeup for the -35% light resist CMoon is giving me quite yet as I don’t have an Infinity or Griffs. But it’s one more piece of the puzzle. Also got the Arm of King Leoric for my summon necro. Was a good night.

One question if I may, is The Pit still the preferred spot for TC87 drops if none of the TZs are in a zone I enjoy? Many thanks all.

1 Like

the top t87 areas are really build dependent. as they increased the number of them in d2:r for variety. you would have to look at the patch notes or an updated website to see the current areas.

my favorites are pit / ancients tunnels (lost city act2) and burial / mauso .when i’m still gearing up.

mauso / burial are the easiest as EVERYTHING is lit immune and they’re all skellies /zombies. no archers or things that move fast. ah it seems like you’re a lit sorc though using crescent moon so that’s sort of out of the question.

If you are running nova I really recommend key farming!

The Pit is probably still the best spot for TC87 farming on lightning builds since there is very few light immunes. However if u have cresent moon and a sunder charm u can run pretty much any area u like as long as its a lvl 85 zone or above. Best advice is run the one u like best and seems the fastest, the more u enjoy it the more runs u will get done and after all its all about rng and how many mobs u kill

Thanks. I do have a CMoon and Sunder (77%) currently. The Pit is fine for now. Good density and I don’t die all over my face. There are some mobs I just hate, like those spear chucking lunatics in Act 2… I’m not going near them.

Really, my next goal is to get to the 117 fcr breakpoint. I need 30% on the nose. So either Arac Mesh and my second 10% ring (would have to replace my SoJ), or Griffon/Arach Mesh and I can lose both my 10% rings for Uniques. Essentially I am waiting to ether find those, or something I can trade for those.

Good news: the breakpoint for nova is 105 fcr.

Doing ok with L/CL currently. I want to ultimately go Nova though. When I get a backup token I’ll try it.

Eschutas while looking cool, is sort of a weak item. It is sad that is doesn’t even stack up to cmoon which has no fcr or +skills lol. But it is what it is and even at the point in which you have an infinity/griff it won’t make eschutas a better option if you weren’t going to go infinity in hand on a nova or keep using cmoon on your L/CL build, then a hoto or occy are still better, maybe slightly less damage, but far better vesatility than an eschuta.

As for where to farm you have options, right now I’d describe you as medium build, so staying away from high hit point areas is a good idea. But with cmoon + sunder you can follow terror zones that have lower HP mobs and do pit. But you can also handle things like Summoner, Countess, Shenk, Eldrich if you want. But outside of that in the state of your build ANY area with lower HP monsters is good(ish), but if you notice you’re running them slowly or struggling it would be better to stay where you’re good.

As for your talk on infinity, while it isn’t the biggest deal, you do need to figure out how you feel about which version you’ll play in the future BEFORE you make your infinity. Making it in an ETH high requirement weapon means it will ONLY ever go on your merc. And making it in a low requirement base means it will be less effective if you put it on your merc. Obviously conviction is the biggest thing, so it isn’t extremely devastating if your merc is stuck with an inferior weapon because you’re the one doing the damage, but it does have an affect on his damage output and survivability.

As for your question which seemed to be targeting high level areas. Make sure that you yourself are high level and chasing TZ’s that is the best place IMO to find the best items. It is my belief that somehow the drop table is tilted when TZ farming towards the upper end of items. Sure you could collect 30 shakos to trade for a ber rune, but it would be better to just find a fathom or dweb instead. But all progress is forward for the most aprt.

I would be going the route of putting Infinity on my merc. I like the mechanic of him being an alternate target and not everything running at me. Then you get to play the “save the merc” minigame lol.

I tried other 85 areas and Pit is just the best right now. I’ve died a couple times, but that was only because I didn’t get away when I heard the “Amp dmg” sound and about 13 of those bow-wielding hate sisters all shot me an once. Aside from that, Pit is pretty much autopilot.

I agree with you on following TZs, I have not gotten anything remotely useful from Pit, where I’ve gotten some bangers from TZ. Some are just so boring or the density is trash. Wondering if it’s worth it either way or do you go back to Pit/etc when you hit a slower TZ.

Found a small charm with FHR on it last night, so I’m at that breakpoint now. The reality is all that’s left is Griff, Arach Mesh, Infinity. The search continues. Killing things isn’t an issue right now. My L does 17k and my CL does around 8k. Most of the time I just hold down CL and watch the room explode.

I get the hesitancy of nova, and light/CL is good but with ES nova you actually become sort of almost unkillable. But my point is you won’t get to try a full effect nova sorc with that weapon if you build it for your merc because of the stats you’d have to waste to equip it. And you don’t fully send into the middle of packs, but I do get the hesitancy. I would recommend downloading a fully built character for offline use and testing it before deciding if you don’t have experience though, that way you get to know which choice you prefer.

The Pit is the best default area for lightning for sure and with your build being on the early stage I would guess there were deaths it happens. When you build upgrades you can pretty much be universal and follow TZ’s the area might not be the best for you, but if it doesn’t totally suck I think TZ is the best location to farm for higher tier items. Though honestly with enough play affording one of each type of infinity actually wouldn’t be insane.

As for the pit or really anywhere else time and efficiency is very important. And if you’re stuck on P1 getting your build better to farm them faster will improve your results. I would suggest TZ’s only unless you get a bad TZ, then just go back to pit like you said if the TZ is either a bad one or too difficult for your build or too slow for your build.

And damage isn’t everything, though it is a big piece. -RES is a big factor as well as how well build you are. The highest damage hammmerdin, doesn’t hit the right FCR BP so it teleports slowly and it casts it’s hammer slowly and it suffers from having less of the supporting stats to keep it safe making it slower than a well built hammerdin that does less damage hitting the 125FCR BP. Speed is a big key in success IMO. Better to kill 1000 monsters at 100MF than 100monster with 1000MF.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Got my Barb friend, who also picked D2R back up after LE disappointed him, up to 74 and decently geared with all my farming. He can hold his own in Hell now at least and is horking for us.

I managed to cube a 4 socket Thresher last night. Non-eth, but keeping it in reserve. If I can’t get an eth one when the time comes, that will be the “close enough” polearm. In a cruel twist of fate, two light sunders dropped, both with 77%… which is what I already have lol.

Unfortunately, we’re at the part of the journey where I wait to get a drop, or a drop I can trade for Arach Mesh, Griffons… most likely Arach. That’s all that’s left to hit 117. I cannot hit 105 to go nova while holding Cmoon in my hand without at least an Arach Mesh, no way around it.

Good news is I have just one more dust to go, Baals, to get me back to two respec tokens. I like to have a reserve in case I make a mistake. I’m 89 now and have been following TZs, even subpar ones, and they do consistently drop loot, so I suspect you’re correct that a decent TZ is just better than traditional 85 zones. The search continues.

If you’re making an infinity specifically for your merc, honestly an Eth polearm is required IMO and I wouldn’t waste the runs in a normal one. Remember CA/CV/Thresher/GT and I think matriarchal spear are all valid options. PLEASE double check that spear because I’m not 100% sure.

Remember your finds are more valuable then you think. I’m not sure what you’re going for but within a short while you can trade up to almost all things be it infinity/griff/arach. If you need help trying to figure out the value of items or even desired items you might have forgotten you might want to take a look at JSP and just see what people are attempting to buy, there is a TON of hidden or not well known value items in game.

or spear

Mancatcher - fastest weapon which works with infinity.
If it’s non-eth you can also use it on a spearazon yourself, unless you want a matriarchal spear for her.

amazon only
doesn’t work with mercs
double check’ed :wink:

I’ve got two 4OS non eth CV’s in the stash lol, that STR requirement tho… I’m only 89. Merc needs to start hitting the gym.

Is there a time you just stop collecting gems? My private stash for Sorc is full of just PGems now. They’re just falling all over the ground as I farm stuff. I’m going to have to start a Gem alt.

Reroll GC or SC or a monarch. Even if you don’t hit the checkpoint, you often get useful temps

That’s a good point. I found a second 4OS Monarch over the weekend. Been trying to reroll that one. Although they really should change “reroll” to “rip and replace” lol. Needing to socket all the runes again is not rerolling. /rant off.

Thank you! It is the mancatcher I was thinking of. I knew they added some base for infinity, but I couldn’t think which. IIRC it only works with select ones right, like I don’t think it works with insight?

When he mentioned rerolling GC or monarch’s he was talking about rolling for a jmod (which IMO is not a good use of pgems). You can roll a jewelers monarch of deflecting which is a pretty valuable trade, but rolling grand charms and crafting ammys and rings is a better ROI. That or you could trade pgems for runes. Either is viable to be honest. I tended to roll baal GCs (though they don’t HAVE to be baal specific that is just their name you can get one from a proper level TZ, or NIH or Diablo as well).

I tended to use pgems to reroll grand charms, saved amnethests to roll ammys, and used my skulls on diadems. But straight selling off the materials is viable as well.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

yes and no: They added bows and xbows for insight.

Big night last night. A kind sir reading the forums joined my game, dropped an 18/10 Griff, Arach Mesh, and wished me luck on my farming. So I spent the next good while rerolling my Spirit with all the runes I’d saved since I started my Necro 2 years ago. I managed to get a 34% fcr roll, which puts me at 119 fcr total. I’ve only got one Hel rune left, so I’m done for now with rerolls.

That let me put on my Ormus Robes, only 10%, but still good. I have to say the 117% breakpoint is really noticeable from the category below it. Casting CL/L then TP if I’m in trouble is just buttery smooth now.

So since Griff is most likely never going to be replaced, is this the point to visit Lazuk and put an Ist in there?