Who doesn't know this (Character Data File Editor)

I’ve run into a few new players who did not know about a few things, keep reading and let me know if you learn anything new.

Did you know that you can use ‘Hero Editor’, A game file editing application designed for original d2, with Diablo Resurrected?

Yes, you can create Characters and Items with godly stats. Yes, you can unlock the entire game and have any item that exists. And yes, you can create items from scratch with the stats you desire. Need a +64 to Teleport Small charm? Maybe you want to add +420 to cast speed on it with over 9000 HP. Well with Hero Editor you can.

Obviously this is only for single player, as the game stores your characters data files locally on your computer. This is what you’re editing with Hero Editor.

I like the disclaimer seen on the website:
-----8<-------
*editors or trainers are used for single player editing of characters. The one that works across multiple versions of Diablo II, including 1.13, Pluggy and the newest official version - *Hero Editor v1.04

Now please take this with the following consideratoin - Playing single player has been more and more popular in the recent years, especially with the Pluggy mode. People are playing legit characters and gearing themselves with self-found items. This is what Diablo II is all about. Trainers ruin this good feeling easily. It might feel like a good idea to give yourself a little start with a trainer but believe me - this will not last long and disappointment will soon kick in. If you still think you want to use a trainer, continue and download on your own caution.
-------8<---------

Did you know you can reset your skills infinitely with a command line?

Yes, you can input a command line into the launcher that allows you to reset your skill points and stats on-the-fly by holding down ALT and clicking a button.

Here’s how to set it up:

One note on Hero Editor:

The .d2s files in D2R for whatever reason are not read by the Hero Editor. I used Kingpint’z item pack which has unskilled (or skilled builds) as a base template to create characters from scratch.

I am personally using the hero editor to port over my HC characters from BNet to SP when I hit Hell. That way I can start playing with /playersX when I want to and still have my online characters for cross-progression playing and playing with friends occasionally.

I roll a dice to see if I am playing SP or MP everyday, heh

1 Like

all of this seems anti-fun.

good way to expedite being bored of the game :wink:

whatever floats your boat i guess.

Yeah beauty.

You can’t directly copy the character file from D2R into Hero Editor because of the version check that Hero Editor does. Hero editor doesn’t know what d2R is lol.

but yeah, like you say, alls you need is a hero template like you can obtain from Kingpin’s collection of files. it’s legit.

once loaded in, you don’t need templates to create items however, you can build those from scratch with the editor. the best part!

I bet if they incorporated this into the game it would attract more older players who would just want to mess around with it like the old days.

But, like the old days, the OG hero editor works. If we could figure it out years ago it shouldn’t be hard now right!

You can bypass the version check (at least you can on the older version of Hero Editor; I’m still using v0.96, because I wasn’t aware of v1.04), and still get the character to load, but the file architecture is also slightly different between Legacy and Resurrected save files – the D2R save files are missing a particular “signature” code (‘JM’) that is present in Legacy save files.

1 Like

can I create keys to do Ubers with the Hero Editor?

Sounds like a good way to ruin the game for yourselves.

It’s a useful way to copy your character from online to offline if you had given up waiting on Blizzards queues.

1 Like

yes, you can obtain any item in the game.

Yes I know about Hero Editor and run experimental characters. I was even thinking of making a youtube tutorial but can’t be asked :slight_smile:

1 Like

You do not. You can run D2LOD to create new characters, and you can load them up in HE. Then you can save and copy the files over to D2R.

You can also create a new character from the HE, you do not need to run D2LOD at all. It is in the same screen as creating/editing new items.

Be warned, if you give yourself stat points, it does not allocate to mana/life. So it is best to add 400 stat points, and then allocate them in-game.

1 Like

thank you, I’ll give it a try.
I dont have patience to do countless runs to get one HR and I’m totally frustrated that it never happened.
Yes, you can say Diablo is not for me but hey, I love the mechanics/skill tree of this game, I just don’t like doing a lot of runs and never be rewarded for it.

Maybe this time, with Hero Editor, it’ll be possible to get what I want and play what I thought would be impossible for my playstyle, ubers and dclone.

Well Borderlands 1 - 3 allows this and to a certain extent since it can be done with online characters in borderlands anyways it does ruin that game if you use a hero editor. For D2 there’s two separate modes so it’s not as bad.

I think it’s a secret message to people complaining about drop rates.

‘Here is the Hero Editor to get all BIS items and HRs you want. Now stop asking for drop rate increase on BNet’

LOL

1 Like

no prob bob,

It helps extend gametime if you have gotten to the end. Can make cool stuff. I’d compare it to creative mode. But you still have to know what everything does.

Think you can even give yourself multiple cubes