Uber Frenzy gear/stat check

How badly will I get wrecked? Takes out DClone super easy but I know this is a whole nother ball game.

LVL 89

Gore Rider War Boots
221 AR/20 Dex Raven frost
7% LL / 12% DR SoE (Could swap for 38 VIT/10 replen/10DR Verdungo’s)
5% ML/3% LL/2str/13 life/8mana 13% Cold Res/ 5% Light Res crafted ring
Dracs (dropped LoH for the LT - but loath to give up the 350% Damage to Demons and IAS - LT wand a better idea?)
Fort Archon Plate 1663 Def, 1.5 life/lvl)
Cat’s Eye (LOL but I like the IAS, Dex and Def bonuses - could steal my IK Barb’s Highlord’s)

LB PB

Arreat’s Face 6% LL 161% ED Open Socket (keep meaning to figure out wh at I should put here. I don’t think I need extra res in general [but maybe for Ubers]) - Do have Gface, but find it difficult to give up the other Arreat’s bonuses and it doesn’t matter in general play, I’m guessing I’ll want more CB for Ubers)

Grief PB (40% IAS, 386 dmg, -25% psn dmg, +15 L/K)

Various resistance, AR and a few skillers for charms.

16/20/10 anni

15/16 btorch

With BO/Enchant pre-buff I’m at
12500 Frenzy AR
4521 HP
Fire Res total bonus 205
Cold Res total bonus 191
Light Res total bonus 183
Poison Res total bonus 178

Res numbers do not include Fade buff which I plan to do. Mephy Conviction is -65% and Treachery Fade is +60% so I figure it basically cancels out and I should have pretty good res (although poison will be 73)

Other concerns:

Life Tap vs Decrep over-write. Both are useful, but I could certainly see getting in a situation where I lose Life Tap and get destroyed without it. Swap back to LoH and use LT wand to control when I need it? Drop LB? Both? Sanct seems like it might be nice against some of the minions, but maybe doesn’t matter?

I don’t have a ton of great off hand options though.
I have an Oath in an eBB but my latest respec got me away from the super high str req for more HP, so I’d have to respec again or borrow my zealer’s Oath eCryptic Sword. Was also thinking of trying to “kill two birds with one stone” and get more CB from off hand. Realistically with my budget that’s really only Strength (25% CB) or Kingslayer (33 CB) and I feel like spending runes on Kingslayer is probably not worth it given my other options.

Only 15% CB - Will this be slow but okay, or do I definitely need to run GFace? Swapping to Goblin Toe worth it? (Or one of the weapon swaps mentioned above worth it?)

Do I need high level Howl?

I’m tempted to just “send it” and ask for help or sacrifice the keys if it doesn’t work out, but I’m certainly interested in advice from experienced Barb Uber Tristers! How badly am I setting myself up for failure?

1 Like

all right all right

used to run a lot of uber runs with frenzy barb

good setup, minor mentions

• Dracs for ubers in every situation against LOH, no contest. (unless you cant proc LT)
  • Tgods instead of string of ears. you need it against mephi boy. after meph you switch back to SOE or dungos
  • Highlords instead of cats eye (DS is big)
  • G face if you have under 50% cb, I used Arreats on the ww build because I had 75% without gface.I see now that you’re at 15% cb, that is too low for ubers. With Gface you’re at 50%
  • Fade buff clearly ya
  • If you make kingslayer you could use Arreats (48Cb), and it’s a good offhand with grief for uber hunting, not a bad investment.
  • Otherwise I would not use Oath axe, as you’re specialized in blade mastery, maybe other options do u have?
  • Demon limb and a +3 spear is optional but very good for prebuffing

Thanks for the great review. I also have a 2nd LB PB so I could have 2x LB on swap for decrep proc like CrazyMage mentioned in the other thread.

I would use 2x +3 cry sticks for warcry buffs, I’ll have lvl 36 enchant from sorc friend, and was thinking pre-buff fade then switch to Fort for the actual fight, refreshing as needed.

Sounds like I need to rustle up a T-gods, don’t remember if I have one in D2R or not haha.

I also have Dwaft Star if fire absorb is needed, which I use 2x of for Trav for GF and to avoid cold from Raven, but do miss the ML from the crafted ring.

My two Oath options are eBB and e Cyrptic Sword, so both swords fortunately. I only have 1 Grief, but I could make a KingSlayer. I mentioned Strength just for how cheap it is, but I know it would basically be only good for the CB. Is PB the way to go for Kingslayer b/c speed/durability, or use something with better damage? Cryptic or Conquest sword?

Sounds like Kingslayer is probably worth it as offhand for Grief and then 2x LB to proc decrep on switch? Or bag LB and decrep completely in favor of uninterrupted LT?

1 Like

I would bag decrep completely and use LT. But Lawbringers without LT is clearly doable. I think CrazyMage can share some thoughts here on a diff style. For kingslayer I would make it in a pb, indestructible and reaches all ias breakpoints.

1 Like

If you reach 50%cb with gface you could use Grief + Oath, misread about Oath base :smiley:

1 Like

No worries, thanks! Yeah I made the eBB one first during my progression but now that I have Grief and usually use LB I figured respeccing to avoid the huge STR was worth it. I built a eCS for my pally, but recently found an e Small Crescent so I may make that into an Oath for my pally and giev the eCS Oath to Frenzy Barb (or just share put it in shared stash, but that’s annoying). Not sure I want to keep making Oaths though haha.

I can afford to make Kingslayer, and have a few 4 os PB (non superior though), but I only have 1 Mal atm so if I do want to make another Oath it may be something to think about haha. Decisions decisions!

If I use Gface I’d probably want to Um it, right? Um isn’t a problem but might have to figure out who still has a socket quest. My Zealot also has an Um’d GFace though so maybe I’d just steal that since I’m raiding his kit anyway haha.

I know it’s silly but I have an unreasonable attachment to Arreats, so I’m thinking the Kingslayer option seems fun.

1 Like

First problem I see is you need 65@ res overcap on cold, light and fire resist. With fade prebuff you’d have 125@ for level 20 conviction aura from Mephisto.
Second, you need 50% cb in total as a barb because barb hit chance isn’t that great even with lots of ar.
3rd, the decrep version works differently than described. On switch, you buy a necro wand with level 6 life tap charges and cast life tap from it first. Then you attack with 2 lawbringers until decrepify is proced. Life tap helps you survive that long. As soon as decrepify is over them, switch to mainhand and hammer them. Howl minions periodically away so they don’t take away damage from the main target. Anytime you are in danger, switch and cast life tap from the wand. You can’t die or fail that way.
And I know for sure, you don’t need lifetap from dracs as a barb. You lose too much damage against demons if you lay off laying of hands and 20 ias. I would always use fastest bases. Grief mainhand and oath cryptic sword.

1 Like

This build is clearly faster at killing ubers, if you play it right, like you explained. Otherwise the dracs version is on the safer side.
As a side note using dual pb’s will negate any problems from the missing ias.

I was at work and wrote some nonsense. You need grief pb and lawbringer pb primary. Life tap wand with charges on switch.

1. Cast life tap from switch, press W.
  2. Hammer with primary.

With barb, I made the experience, it’s more dangerous if the fight gets drawn out, specially with Uberbaal. The others are easy. CB and DS work better with decrepify.

2 Likes

Thanks for the extra info!

My main load out is typically Grief and LB PB, so I thnk I’d be good there. I will keep shopping a LT wand. Ended up with Dracs first so was considering going that route. Do I put a shield on with the LT wand on switch to protect me while I swap, or the time is short enough it doesn’t matter?

I think my res will all be 73 to 78 in Hell with conviction and fade active, although if I drop Arreats for GFace it will be less.

So sounds like:

1. Wear Grief and LB PB for main weapon set

2. LT wand on swap

3. Swap Arreats for Um’d Gface to get CB high enough.

4. Swap Cat’s Eye for Highlords for DS

5. Swap SoE for Tgods?

6. Do I have to pump points into Howl or will base 1 + skills be enough? Iirc mine is about lvl 8. I know it also works based on char lvl vs. monster level, so I will try to look it up to do that calc.

1 Like

Are you on ladder? I can give you the life tap wand. For Mephisto you need your lightning resist maxed no matter what. For cold resist drink 10 thawing potions, they stack and last 10 minutes long. You don’t need a shield. If monsters bother you just leap in place, they will be all stunned and pushed back. 1 point in howl is more than enough. Your level is more important. You have to be lvl 85+ for monsters to run away from you in ubertrist.
Have some rejuvs ready too just in case. After you killed mephisto for example, you can cast life tap on his minions and finish them all off. Life tap wand is 100x better than hopping for dracs to proc.

1. Yes
  2. Yes, hotkey it to avoid accidents
  3. Always use GFace on a Frenzy barb, the damage increase is incredible.
  4. Yes
  5. No need, you don’t really need tgods
  6. Howl at lvl1.
2 Likes

Cool thanks! I’m on NL unfortunately!

Light res will be 183 - 100 (hell) - 65 (conviction) + 60 (fade) = 78, however if I swap for Um’d Gface that’s -15 but swapping Cat’s Eye to Highlord’s is +35, so I should be maxed at 80 (+5 max from Fort).

Thanks!

1 Like

Just don’t be afraid, your gear is 100% up to the task.

Small correction. conviction isn’t -65 but -125 (lvl20). You need with fade together 300 light resist.

2 Likes

Thanks! Only soft core at least haha!

Good correction, thanks! I thought I read -65 but must have been wrong level or wrong info all together.

good stuff

Let us know how it goes and the final build used :smiley:

1 Like

Will do! I spent about 20 minutes last night and shopped a LT wand. Only lvl 5 so I may keep at it, but in quick testing the radius seems pretty reasonable so I’m guessing it will be okay not having a lvl 6 LT one? I think you get more charges on lvl 6 based on how the calc works too, so that may be something to look into anyway.

I also had to respec as dropping Arreats and Cats Eye had me short on dex.

I needed one final Key of Hate since summoner is always super stingy to me, but I was able to get that last night as well.

I also realized I had a few GF charms still in the inv from Trav runs, planning on replacing those to further bulk up my resistances.

I don’t get a ton of gaming time these days, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to make an attempt in the next day or so! Might have to split it into getting the organs one night and doing Trist the next.

I’m planning on recording so I can post the video.

3 Likes

Awesome, post it when done.

Dunno about the wand, CrazyM is the expert on using them :))

Good luck and hope u get a good storch!

1 Like

Check after 8th minute, you’ll do pretty much the same except you cast life tap and not battle cry like I do then you frenzy instead of WW. From time to time, howl to get rid of the annoying minions.

2 Likes

Very helpful video!

I think I’m all set for my attempt. I’m out of town this weekend so hopefully I’ll get a chance tonight after the kids go to sleep.

3 Likes

damn, those gg fleshrippers really do the job. cool build mate

2 Likes