The paladin's Shield smite skill needs a nerf

The paladin’s smite skill needs a nerf.

Attacks with a shield have a 100% hit chance. great. But this is a very unfair outcome.

It’s unbalanced that the paladin’s Smite shields hit 100%.

How about changing it like this?

• existing

a. It has a 100% hit rate against the enemy with a shield.

• change

a. When counterattacking an enemy melee attack with a shield, the hit rate is always 100%. That is, it bypasses the target defense and is not blocked.

b. It is no longer affected by the weapon’s additional damage option.

7 Likes

paladin’s smite use to be very fun and balance in patch 1.09

sadly after 1.10 and 1.14 this build go out of control

3 Likes

Paladin’s cant be nerfed, only buffed. :joy:

4 Likes

Do we really want to nerf melee

How about increasing the to hit chance up to 100% and achieveable with other melee skills

Buff all underused melee

10 Likes
  1. The point I’m talking about is the balance between paladin’s smite skills and other melee attacks.

It is also a story of balancing the unhindered enemy’s defense and a powerful skill that ignores blocks with a conditional 100% hit when counterattacking.
(Rather than abusing it as a means to attack 100%, showing the aspect as a hero’s shield in line with the concept of a paladin)

1. I think the balance between the magic cast character and the melee class can be sufficiently adjusted in the comments below.
2 Likes

Literally every magic skill in the game does this too. They also have long range, good to great damage even when opponent’s have max res, pierce res, and mass AoE. If anything, casters need a nerf, not melee.

8 Likes

Why would you want to change these values? Its not a competative game at all. PVM is just about slaughtering monsters as fast & efficiently as you can.

2 Likes

This is about pvp only.

It has nothing to do with pve, so don’t worry.

After all, the 1st tier hunting is the Javelin Amazon.

Blizzard developers said they would continue to patch the pvp balance. It has nothing to do with PVE. ^^

1 Like

If what you are saying is that blizzard will have a separate balance for PVP vs PVM, that would be amazing. Can you please provide me with a source for the developer confiming this statement?

2 Likes

back in patch 1.09 the eth rune give you 100% too hit

and player still have hard time vs smite and back them smite have no leech or life tab , today is just ridicule how broken op smite is melee just have 0 chance in zealing duels , personaly i dont think the dev have enough knowlege to understand and balance this game sadly , d2r will be a sleeping gem that will never wake up :sleeping_bed: :sleepy: :zzz:

2 Likes

Well that won’t happen since 2.4 is their most recent big patch. All casters got huge buffs even after they said Sorc was in a “good spot” then they go ahead and buff the crap out of nova but instead of using Thunder Storm as a synergy they went for static which was a bad call. I’d like to see Tstorm make a comeback hopefully with a synergy of its own.

As for smite… say what you want about it being OP. If it gets nerfed I imagine many upset players will complain about it since it is the easiest budget Uber build hands down. I for one don’t really see an issue with it. It is very much inferior to casting builds in pvp for the most part.

No to other melee need, yes to paladin nerf. Can’t hide behind the melee label when the class is op.

Why can’t every other melee skills get the smite treatment?

It is the only attack in D2R that ignores stun, knockback, and uninterrupted enemy defense and block rate.

It is an attack that brings all of the additional damage of the weapon ‘Grief’ Rune word to 400, and it is well combined with the ‘Exile’ Rune word or the ‘Phoenix’ Runeword.

Therefore, what I am trying to say is that the battle between melee characters with attack speed nerfed Barbarian vs Smite Paladin, also nerfed Assassin vs Smite Paladin, Zeal Paladin vs Smite Paladin, etc. should be balanced.

This is my very personal opinion, and opinions for and against opinions can coexist sufficiently.

However, the concept of adding attack rating, enemy defense, and block rate to the smart skill itself is fair.

Also, as mentioned in the text above, 100% offensive hit and ignore the enemy’s defense and block rate under the condition of ‘when you(smite paladin) counterattack’ can rather bring about conditional changes in various battles.

Combinations of other melee skills can also be induced for Paladins, who were highly dependent on the smart skill.

For example, if you master the synergy of Cultist Aura and Blessed Aim, there may be a way to add a synergy bonus to the melee attack accuracy of the Paladin.

With various balance patches and nerfs of Barbarian’s ww skill, Blizzard developers are looking forward to reducing dependence on specific skills and utilizing various skills.

I actually agree with you about it’s issues. It should at least be able to be blocked if nothing else. And yes it has many unfair advantages compared to all other melee skills even against whirlwind. You’re not wrong in your argument. I welcome balance changes but in the games current state nerfing could do more harm than good for pvp and player moral.

2 Likes

Smite should be an active passive skill for any paladin. Enemy gets too close, auto smite!

1 Like

Option B sounds reasonable, kicks aren’t affected by +damage why should smite be since they’re both non weapon attacks.

3 Likes

Grief
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
+40% Increased Attack Speed
Damage +400
Ignore Target’s Deffense
=25% Target Defense
+xx% Damege to Demons (Based on Character Level)
Add 5-30 Fire Damage
-25% to Enermy Poison Resistance
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana after each kill
+14 Life after each kill

Damage +400 option should be nerfed.

Additional damage options are no longer applied to damage increase options such as armor or aura skills.

It does not affect the options of life steal.

It is no longer added to Paladin’s smite skill damage (same as the 400 option is not added to Assassin’s Kick).

There’s always going to be something that is considered very strong in a game. Doesn’t mean you have to play it. That being said, Amazon impale is still garbo

1 Like

What about hit effects like crushing blow and deadly strike?

1 Like