The one pragmatic reason why /players x is never happening online

No amount of law will prevent murders and stealing because thats how some people are. Also you are mixing things kind of. In real words we dont really have much to prevent them. We have laws to mostly punish. But even life sentences dont do much as you can see. We are playing the game too,not real world. Too much control takes fun away.

1 Like

Preventing antisocial players from killing others in PvE games is doable with a 100% success rate in a video game. The same applies to greed mechanics, it’s 100% preventable with the right design.

Various aspects of the real world and virtual worlds don’t have to be identical or similar but some aspects (like the actors - us, humans) are the same out of necessity. The average player doesn’t want to be a toy for online psychopaths, sadists and the like so it makes no sense to copy some of the most rotten parts of the real world into a virtual world unless your goal is to repel most people instead of entertaining them.

Antisocial people are a fairly small portion of the population. I don’t see the point of giving them freedom and tools to abuse others around them. Luckily it’s in the interest of a game developer to avoid situations like that so most multiplayer games have been designed with that in mind.

Blizzard never had long term goals for D2 or its multiplayer mode so I’m not surprised of the result: an almost non-existent multiplayer environment that most players leave after character levelling.

1 Like

yea and its not like you run into them once a week. Its generally 3-4 times a day

The comparison is completely rhetorical, obviously. But in theory, imagine how much more murder would happen if it was totally legal. Or how much theft would occur if money was totally free-for-all? Go to pick up your paycheck and someone else grabbed it before you could and was able to go cash it, and you’re just SOL? You go grocery shopping and someone walks off with your cart while you’re distracted, and you’re just SOL? Guess what? EVEN MOAR MURDER!!!

I think it comes down to some people play MP to have fun (preferably with others), while others play MP to get away with being an a-hole (maybe not all the time, but certainly want the option always available). There is currently no way for group A to get away from group B without trying to form communities/friend groups and hiding from the public, or just playing alone.

What’s more, the game actually ENCOURAGES group B’s bad behavior through non-consensual hostility, free-for-all loot, and not even a way to truly block players. /pX seems like a much more likely patchup job than them effectively addressing all those issues. I mean, hey, if they wanted to add some form of ploot, force hostility to be mutual, and add TRUE player blocking, I’d be all for it and wouldn’t care about /pX any more, but I’m not holding my breath.

In the words of Megadeth: “If there’s a new way, I’ll be the first in line. But it better work this time…”

Another of this delusional reasoning… dude, it’s a game. Even meaning it rhetorical, you comparing murdering in RL with killing someone in a videogame :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Um, you apparently don’t know what rhetorical means? I’m not morally equating it in any way, shape, or form, I’m making a point. I could have just as easily compared it to jaywalking or littering.

1 Like

Then compare it with that next time lol

But then everyone would just laugh it off as being utterly trivial.

1 Like

Players 8 loot in a solo p8 terror zone is not worth writing home about. People run 100-500 bots thats how the game markets get saturated with goods

Because it is. And non consensual hostility is a great feature against trolls. People forget how effective consequences can be. Just clap that guy that trolls your game in public for everybody to see. Believe me, they won’t do it again.

/pX → single player only. They could just remove multiplayer at all instead of introducing/pX because it would solve all your problems.

That’s your logic, don’t blame it on me.

2 Likes

Simple calculation, you have to buy extra copies of D2R to emulate /players x command.

Ez cash for Bli$$

1 Like

Becoming one of them isn’t the way to go but that isn’t an issue for people like you because you are already one of them.

The best way to deal with trolls in a well designed game is report + ban. In D2 that isn’t an option due to bad design so most players reduce their public online presence to trading and maybe character levelling.

The same applies to other forms of abusive behaviour in online games (for example abusive chat in shooters). The solution is report + ban not promoting and engaging in abusive behaviour.

Or they could just remove /pX drops altogether from online games because it is used only as an exploit. The overall multiplayer design is so bad that even the elevated /pX drops fail to attract masses of players into public MF games. It’s a failed design.

Let’s forget about /pX for a moment.

How would offline mode solve for example trading? This question has been asked many times but people like you failed to answer.

A game designer has to keep a lot of important requirements/criteria (like trading) in their head while designing a game mode. Some of you demonstrated countless times that you are incapable of doing so. Game design seems to be beyond your abilities.

When you recommend the offline mode you are either trolling or showing your lack of skills/abilities.

2 Likes

Some people trade offline, hero editor mods… You have many options how to get items offline without even trading.

Only thing you will not get offline is pvp.

2 Likes

Hero Editor is a good reason to not trade offline. You want to tell me that you would give your best finds for the Bers created by other people in Hero Editor?

You are just like Odin: a troll or someone without the cognitive abilities to do critical thinking.

3 Likes

You would obviously trade with people in certain community who has same mindset, but it doesnt matter it was just one option. Reality is that you dont really need much to trade offline as players x command and static maps will result in loot shower. And if you really need something specific, make it in hero editor and throw away your Ber as compensation or whatever. People who play offline do not have your issues. If you need runes badly, you install mod to drop more of them or simply creare them, copy them as you like. If you look for challenge, you dont, its quite simple.

If anyone is troll here its you. You just trying to find problem in anything dude.

2 Likes

Finding a problem is never an issue, that’s the first step to finding solutions.

In contrast people like you try to solve problems by crating new ones. No one asked for your nonsense advice like “go play offline”. Anyone with a clue knows that we play online for a multitude of good reasons. Some of you just lack the capacity to find those very obvious reasons and realise they are incompatible with offline play.

2 Likes

I dont care if you asked for it or not, its the answer i give to people like you who are antisocial as choice and demand /players x slider feature which doesnt belong to online play. Normal people understand it, devs understand it. You should too. If you refuse to understand why, well thats your problem. Your arguments to push p x slider went so far that you are suggesting silly ideas like remove mp bonuses to loot. Actualy hilarious.

3 Likes

D2 multiplayer rewards antisocial behaviour. Guess who prefer multiplayer design like that? Antisocial people like you, almost no one else plays it. I’m surprised that simple logical deductions like this have to be explained.

It’s the same in other video games. Antisocial players always argue against or want to remove features that make it possible to isolate or ban them. Fortunately in a profitable video game it’s in the interest of the game developer to punish a few rotten apples instead of losing large chunks of the rest of the playerbase.

D2 might have good itemisation and economy but the design of its multiplayer is more than two decades old garbage from the early stages of online gaming.

The average player figures out quickly that farming with strangers sucks, that’s why they avoid it. The bulk of the playtime is spent on MF and yet, you can barely see any public MF games in the lobby - that’s not how the public scene of a successful online video game looks like. The proof is in the pudding, you just have to open your eyes to see it.

With good multiplayer design a “split MF” game would yield the same reward per player per hour as solo gaming. The benefits of multiplayer should come from fun cooperation (for example better clear speed that can yield the same loot as solo but within a shorter time frame). Problems like this have been addressed in many other multiplayer video games. In the example I brought up previously (Deep Rock Galactic) the amount of loot is the same per mission but cooperation (which is fun, not some kind of forced chore) can speed up mission completion so the reward/hour can be higher than in solo games. However, that increase in reward is much more justified so solo players don’t complain. Compare that to D2’s nonsense approach: more drops per kill in multiplayer despite the fact that a player alone can kill a monster almost as quickly as in solo games.

Game designers know all of the above and that’s why almost no other multiplayer video game comes close to being as bad as D2 multiplayer. That’s why people actually play the multiplayer game modes too in other video games in contrast to D2 that is played mostly as a solo PvE looter with some trading on the side.

You don’t have to worry because D2 doesn’t have a large playerbase and microtransactions, it isn’t a cash cow so Blizzard won’t spend money on changing it. Solving the root cause (bad multiplayer) would be a large task so they will rather say things like “we don’t want to give people reasons to not play multiplayer” instead of something like “we don’t want to spend time and money on creating a multiplayer game mode that most of the playerbase would want to play”. Let’s not forget that the devs are only mouthpieces. Most players already have enough reasons to not play multiplayer, that’s why public MF games are so rare.

Removing increased loot would be very far from fixing the insanely bad multiplayer but it would get rid of requests like “online /p8”. You can’t kill a game mode that is already dead.

Yeah, not the best idea without a complete redesign of D2 multiplayer, a hotfix at best but still not as big of a nonsense as your usual “go play offline” advice.

1 Like

Here’s an idea… Lets restrict every possible way players can take advantage of others both inside and outside of the game. Restricted trading/account bound items being a huge one.

Oh wait, they already did that with Diablo 3.

Again, it’s not a problem with the game, it’s a problem with the players of the game.

Oh no, some neckbeard nolifer with a computer farm can run 7 copies of the game and reap the rewards from it… Yeah, these people are cheating the system… But that doesn’t mean everyone should have the ability with a single computer just to keep things fair.

2 Likes

You are just another pathetic troll who belongs to the “go play this and that” group.

Who the hell asked for account bound items? I want an ARPG with D2’s itemisation and economy along with a multiplayer game mode that rewards close cooperation.

It’s 100% a design issue when a game mode is avoided by most players. Most of the D2 playtime is spent on MF and doing that in public games sucks for a multitude of reasons.

2 Likes