The one pragmatic reason why /players x is never happening online

/players x will never happen online for one simple pragmatic reason that has nothing to do with gameplay or fun or the “spirit” of online.

Today the vast majority of multiplayer games created online are not for actual cooperation but simply to benefit from increased exp and loot.

Most of the participants in these games would probably be more than happy to drop the hassle and each would instead opt for his own private game with /players x active.

So if blizzard were to accept this they would instantly multiply the demand on their servers by a factor of 200% or 300% to the very least.

However much the players want this, there is no way Blizzard is taking such a decision.

Tons of people are already mostly playing/farming solo anyway and just suffer through the lower rewards. I don’t think it would create as much extra load as you think. Even if it did, the extra server load would just be a fraction of what is already being used by botters anyway.

The idea that everyone would just play solo /pX instead of playing together just highlights how crappy the current MP implementation really is. Maybe if they did add /pX and it did gut the number of people playing together (more than it already has been), they might finally feel inclined to give people non-toxic ways/reasons/excuses to actually play together.

4 Likes

Most people already play solo

1 Like

well youve just summed up how small blizzard are then in comparison to other gaming companies, if they wouldnt make such a decision because they wouldnt be able to cope with server load/demand lmao

“We don’t want to add reasons to battle.net to not play with people.”
“Players X, not for battle.net.”
“Bring people together, not push them away.”

-Matt Cederquist

source

1 Like

This i just speculation in my opinion, i feel like the majority of people that disagree with px or a ban from game option generally want to enable trash talk to other people as an emotional co codependent type coping method. Which is generally evidence that they are more neurotic about getting attention from other guys then actually enjoying the game. So it would be a good addition.

2 Likes

I feel like the hysteria of people that are possessive on this game pushes normal people off the game. Ive had alot of people talk about this in game. Thank me for my runs/ admonish people trying to cause problems in them

1 Like

Its so funny that even Blizzard employees have the same negative iq takes as many on this forum. Multiplayer that incentivises you not to play together might aswell just not exist.

1 Like

Player groups consisting of friends generally have no trouble playing together as a group, because they are generally more willing to donate items they find which they don’t need on their current character which would better benefit their comrades characters.

When players play in pubs, it’s almost always the greed that drives them. GIMME THAT IT’S MINE!!! MINE MINE MINE!!!

It makes it really easy to see who are the friendlies in pub games. And it’s definitely proof that human evolution still has a way to go.

It’s not a problem with the game… It’s a problem with the people playing the game.

3 Likes

Thats not the core issue though. You simply recieve less loot overall when you are grouping up, no way around it.

1 Like

With Diablo 3, we’ve already seen what direction a game goes when they dump a ton of loot on us.

1 Like

Completely pointless comment, has nothing to do with my point, also, getting decent loot in Diablo 3 was waaaay harder than in D2 LOD at the start and it was still a bad game.

1 Like

You’re talking about D3 vanilla… I’m talking about what became of D3 over the years from the loot drop rate whiners. Blizzard kept pumping characters power, and they kept adding more difficulties with higher drop rates. Now it takes little time to go from zero to hero where it rains loot, and poof, the months long ladder season is over for you in the course of a week or less.

Is that what you seek in this game? For it to be over for you as quickly as possible? Increasing the drop rates is a way to that goal.

2 Likes

And more nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic.

Are you really that dense? It doesnt change anything about the drop rates, the only difference is instead of 8 people killing diablo alone (which they are doing right now) they can now kill him together and still get the same loot. The problem is health/dmg isnt adjusted accordingly right now, so killing him with 8 people is easier/faster, which also shouldnt be the case.

1 Like

You are obviously stonewalling because you are apparently another /players X zealot. Judging by your low post count, you’re likely an alt.

Nothing further to say to you. Good day.

The easy way out when you cant counter. Have a nice evening. :wink:

This game is for forever alone people… like me :smiley:

This is a single player game with optional multiplayer, always was. Going online is basically a form of cheating and defeats the whole purpose of the game.

The design of an online game mode has to revolve around the idea of fun interactions with strangers through well designed game mechanics. Otherwise the number of potential team mates is reduced from the whole playerbase to a friendlist - that’s pretty much a failure as an online multiplayer video game.

Bad multiplayer design that rewards unfun techniques like “split MF” and dark traits (greed, antisocial behaviour) is 100% the game’s fault. The average player will naturally avoid environments like that because it’s common sense to do so. Human nature won’t adapt to game design.

4 Likes

That’s like if theft and murder were legal in RL, but when people complained about it and wanted to make it illegal, you just said “It’s not a problem with the law… It’s a problem with the people stealing and murdering”.

Rules and systems exist to discourage or prevent certain people from acting like animals, and to deal with them when they do. When a system fails to do those things, it’s perfectly fair to ask for improvements to that system.