The one pragmatic reason why /players x is never happening online

It was discussed, considers and decided by devs that /pX won’t be implemented in MP. Have fun.

Seems like you guys are having fun with the raging troll TRON. I wonder whose multi he is, now that he is behaving like a wounded dog.

Pathetic sadists like you never run out of demeaning words… :smiley:

Summary of this thread and most of the forum:

Trolls (Odin, Jedi, Zax, etc): leave the game alone so we can troll because it’s more fun to troll than play the game.

Other reasonable people: there’s things about the game that could be better, let’s discuss like adults.

1 Like

ROFL.

I’ve seen your „discuss like adults“ and can tell you for a fact that you behave like toddlers.

Welcome to my ignore list like your alt accounts

1 Like

And just like I said before, people railing against free /pX while being perfectly fine with using paid /pX (multiboxing):

So even you actually want /pX, you just don’t want everyone else to have it too.

Textbook hypocrisy.

1 Like

Funny how you pick 1 example and try to sell it as fact that everyone else does the same.

So I guess by that logic everyone in favour of /pX is a botter and cheater and jsp user.

Shame on you

1 Like

That… doesn’t even make any sense.

So tell me, is the example I posted hypocrisy or not?

I was asking about multiboxing for certain use, basicly research of something online. So dont make any conclusions as you dont know why i asked for it.

Its not because you had no clue why I ask for it and why i wanted to do it.

It is. But that doesn’t apply the same to everyone else who is against /pX, like you try to imply.

I guess you have a very casual understanding of what “antisocial” means. In this context the meaning of “antisocial” isn’t “someone who plays D2 alone”. That situation would be a dream come true for the whole playerbase.

What I mean on “antisocial” is someone looking for abusive interactions: trolls, sadists, psychopaths. D2 multiplayer design enables such interactions (like one sided hostile, inability to ban players from games) while most other video games don’t. If you support such design you are obviously one of those online trolls/sadists who benefit from that design.

The average player spends most of its playtime farming. Yet, you won’t see many public “split MF” games because they suck. You claim to love interactions so much, I wonder what makes you prefer the “split” nature of those games over multiplayer design that rewards close cooperation…

There is nothing antisocial about avoiding game modes that suck.

Everyone is greedy to some degree, some are more greedy than others, almost all living species are greedy. Tempting people and rewarding them for leaning towards their dark side will not result in fun interactions with strangers. Environments like that suck and avoided by most. It’s a good recipe for failed online game modes.

Grabbing items from others isn’t fun (at least for most people). Even if I resisted the temptation and let others grab everything it wouldn’t make me feel good about “farming” in a game like that, it would be like working for nothing.

Close cooperation is punished, that’s why split MF is a thing. Players shouldn’t be able to get more loot/hour than in solo by doing split MF which is pretty much playing solo in separate acts. It’s the nonsense multiplayer drop system that makes it possible - one of the many things that are wrong with D2 multiplayer design.

7 accounts are used for maxing out drops in farming runs. Your intentions are way too obvious.

8 or more accounts can be beneficial for dclone farming and high volume trading. Other use cases require only 1-2 alt accounts.

32GB RAM is ideal for 3 accounts. 7-8 accounts result in heavy memory swapping, huge performance penalties and occasional crashes even with 48GB RAM, the ideal setup is 64GB. 6-7GB per D2R instance along with a decent amount of extra RAM for the operating system, caching and other applications like web browser.

1 Like

What was the average computer system back when Diablo 2 released? A Pentium II/III or AMD K6/Athlon ~600Mhz? What, 128MB RAM?

Yeah, I don’t think they had people running 8 clients on one PC in mind back then, or even 5 years after the game released.

You’re looking for new features and solutions to problems that are possible with todays technology in a two+ decades old game. You’d probably have better luck selling bacon to a pig farmer.

The computing power of the average PC was skyrocketing in the last 2-3 decades (Moore’s law). I wasn’t a player of the old D2 but I’m confident that the average gaming PC could run multiple instances easily a few years after D2 release.

Video games like D2 were designed for the average home PC, they didn’t even require special hardware like 3D accelerators. Higher end PCs could probably run multiple instances even on the release day of the game.

Keep in mind processors back then were monolithic. One core. SMT didn’t exist until a year after the game came out, and even then it was restricted at first to Itanium server chips, followed by the first Pentium 4 processors a short time after. But even with SMT, it was still a single core doing the work. SMT was mainly a solution to solving, or at least alleviating the wait-state problem of only having a single core/thread while trying to run multiple tasks.

So why do you want to do it then?

I wasn’t trying to imply that, but I guess I could have worded it a little more specifically. That’s why I didn’t understand your previous reply.

I was complaining that there’s all this pushback against /pX, but “mysteriously” none of the critics seem to have a problem with multiboxing for extra player count.

It would give you /pX critics more credibility to actively speak out against multiboxing /pX as well. So far, I’ve never seen it. Until then it just looks like selective gatekeeping of an existing feature.

1 Like

I don’t like it, but I can’t stop it nor is there any rule/law/tos against it. Doesn’t mean that I like it anymore than /pX. Multiplayer is the mode to play with other people and not to simulate them.

1 Like

You can get a lot of value out of only 3 clients and PCs specs reached the required capacity long long ago.

Climbing up to 5, 7 or more clients on one PC is obviously more demanding but my guess would be at most a decade after D2 release not 20+ years. The original system requirements seem to mention optional support for graphics hardware acceleration too that started to become popular in the early 2000s - support like that can make it easier for the CPU depending on how good the implementation is. Old games like D2 wasted a lot of CPU time in software renderers.

Some longtime D2 players probably thought about multi-account setups during PC and laptop upgrades too. Keeping old machines instead of selling them for pennies can help in running multiple instances, it may be more comfortable than using only one strong PC. In 2010 even an average laptop had the specs to run at least 2-3 D2 clients and many of us had a laptop in addition to a stronger PC even before 2010.

Multiplayer game modes are played to have fun together but that is possible only in a well designed game.

In good multiplayer games the reward is higher efficiency that can be achieved only through close cooperation and well designed fun interactions. The designers try to weed out interactions that could turn strangers, team mates against each other. Multiplayer like that would be difficult to “simulate” and the players of those games don’t even want to simulate anything, they want other real players on their team instead of idle accounts or stupid AI.

In D2 you reach higher efficiency by having multiple players in the game as far from you as possible (split MF). It’s often easier to achieve that by coordinating idle accounts instead of a bunch of random strangers who do their own thing and in worst case compete for the best farming locations or try to grab my loot. In some cases those rando players aren’t even available, for example in case of a late night farming session. Their actions (join/leave/etc) and their presence are unpredictable in a wrong way.

You’re not much better either, your twitch VOD’s showed how racist you are with your comments ingame.

I used the term “bimbo” to respond to someone harassing me in game. There is nothing racial about that. My vods are still up on my twitch vodkahangover anyone can see them