Since new runewords a thing that's happening, lets talk runeword suggestions

First an analysis on the new ones (which are also apparently… old ones).

Pattern - Nice, low cost, low-mid level high block for dual claw sins. Nothing super fancy, but multi-elemental is nice.

Plague - Before I figured out that this was “new”, I was humming along with what could be done with this one. This one screams “Vengeance Paladin” quite loud. Add conviction with a bump to lower resist while you’re spamming away, add in a few pdsc’s and a bramble and you’ve got a savage 4-element+phys pally. There’s possibilities for usage for a slow norm-attack necro, maybe an offhand to compliment a botd for a baba?

Flickering Flame - This one says “hiya, I’m a fire druid helm… maybe an enchantress helm too, and mayyyybe even a fire-zon helm.”

Mist - Merc/Amazon - High skills, dps, pierce, and concentrate to boot. I could see this being used for a paladin doing the multiple aura thing. Dream helm. Dragon Armor. Mist bow. Frost Merc with Infinity etc. Possibly used for a enchantress as well paired with dragon armor/dream helm. That enhanced damage is sick. Bow version of the BOTD.

Wisdom - Bowazon/rogue helm, flat out.

Unbending Will - Obviously for barbs/barb mercs.

Obsession - This is one of the few runewords that are geared pretty much exclusively for the sorc, but there’s a problem. It’s two handed.

So lets talk new runewords.

Caster runewords are lacking for both sorceress and necro. Necro has “White”, but that’s about it. Sorc has nothing in the one hand realm, yet normal 1-3 socket orbs drop everywhere to useless abandon.

Suggestions
Names made up on the spot, whatevers.

Low-Range Orb
Disciple’s Torch - Nef-Ith (req lvl 15)
+1-2 Sorceress skills
+2 Shiver Armor
+2 Warmth
+2 Static Field
+30% fcr
+10 Attributes
20-30% MF
20-30% GF
Concept: Early skills, effectively a poor sorc’s Occy to fill in the gap where its junk rares 100% of the time before you get an occy, or junk staves, or swinging a sword until you get occy.

Mid-Range Orb
Sister’s Salute - Hel-Io-Um (Helium, c wut i did ther?) (req level 47)
1-4 Lightning skills
1-4 Fire skills
1-4 Cold skills
-20% requirements
+10-20 vitality
+10-20 Energy
+20-30 Resist All
+20-40% fcr
+20% enhanced defense
Concept: Potentially a rival of oculus from a performance standpoint. Relatively similar stats, with potential for better overall skill points, and a swinging range of cast rates.

High End Orb
Vile Seance - Zod El Ohm (req lvl 69)
Level 10 Defiance Aura When Equipped
10% chance to cast level 10 Lower Resist on attack
33% chance to cast level 9 Blade Shield when struck
15% chance to cast level 4 Slow Missiles when struck
+4-5 Sorceress Skills
+3 Lightning Mastery
+3 Fire Mastery
+3 Cold Mastery
+350-500 Damage
+20 Attributes
40% Faster Cast Rate
20% Faster Block Rate
10% Increased chance to block
Damage Reduced by 10%
Indestructible
Concept: A sorceress that wishes to be heavily cast in defensive energies. High skill count, no -resist beyond chance to cast lower resist–which blade shield can actually proc. The trade off? You MUST be in melee range for Lower Resist to Proc from Blade Shield, and you MUST be in melee range to kick Blade shield off. Sure, you can utilize the +350-500 damage and attack like a savage with your roundy orb stick, but no attack speed bonuses, so uh… good luck with that. Go on. Go jump into the fray.
This is a battlemage Orb, not a “attack from forever away” orb, ergo the boosts in additional stats. In the face of lands of sorceresses that stand far away from battle, she stands defiantly toe to toe against her adversaries.

High End Orb
Zann Esu’s Dark Tempest - Cham Ber Gul (req lvl 67)
Level 1 Salvation Aura When Equipped
2% chance to cast level 10 Cloak of Shadows when struck
+3 All Skills (ALL skills, since only sorcs can use this thing anyway)
+7 Thunderstorm
+2 Fade
+2 Hurricane
+2 Cyclone Armor
+25 Vitality
+25 Energy
Cannot Be Frozen
Damage Taken Increased by 0-15%
Damage Reduced by 0-15%
-42 to +33 Cold Resistance
-42 to +33 Fire Resistance
-42 to +33 Lightning Resistance
-42 to +33 Poison Resistance
-42 to +33 Magic Resistance
Concept: Opposite of Furious Seance, the mind storms that echo through a sorceress’ mind may sometimes remain uncontained. While damaging to others, these tempests may be damaging to themselves as well. It may go very well (salvation 60 res Fade 42 res +33 res all =135 practically already set for forever on resistances) or 60 + 42 - 42 = 60 (Aura only). Skills are static, as the resistance side of this wand is risky as hell as it is.
Visually, the Sorceress stands in a tempest, barely visible through the storm, with only the torrent of nature surrounding her.

Dagger
Emergent Corruption - Shael Ohm Eth (req lvl 57)
10% Chance on strike to cast Level 20 Venom
10% Chance on strike to cast Level 22 Thunderstorm
10% Chance on kill to cast Level 5 Revive
10% Chance when struck to cast Level 5 Confuse
+2 All Skills
+2-3 Sorceress Skills (Necromancer only)
+2-3 Necromancer Skills (sorceress only)
+1-2 Fire Mastery (necromancer only)
+1-2 Corpse Explosion (sorceress only)
+1-2 Energy Shield (necromancer only)
+1-2 Bone Armor (sorceress only)
+2-4 Enchant (necromancer only)
+2-4 Poison Dagger (Sorceress only)
+350%-450% enhanced damage
+100-200 Damage
+30%-40% Increased Attack Speed
-25-50% target defense
+20-30% Increased Max Mana
Concept: The Sorceress clans find melee combat to be barbaric. This weapon, imbued with magics of the elements of death brings a disturbing hybrid of the two varying ways of life together. Its wielder, whether Necromancer or Sorceress, finds themselves confused in comparison to others who seem to be able to wield it as a straight forward weapon. One imbued with sacraments of death, or a hearth from within that brings warmth to their dark, dead hearts, yet within that confusion comes new understandings that only implement their magics. The confusion of the blade renders magics they would otherwise use to enhance themselves useless, resulting in only taking that which benefits them in confusing ways while somehow bringing balance.

This’ll get buried, so I dunno why I wasted my time.
shruuuuug

Anyways… fill more gaps please blizz. May edit this more later if I get more responses/likes to the notions.

2 Likes

Adding new runewords was a major error

Especially runewords bland as the ones they gave us

Like… beside the helm, what do the others bring new to the table? Nada

And even if they had been good, it’s still a mistake

Itemization needs to be fixed before adding new stuff

95% of uniques are still dogcrap since 1.10

3/4 of runewords are bad too

Crafting is horrible having like 3 decent craft out of 36

Rare drops are abysmally bad and the very best ultra rare good ones are mediocre compared to runewords

Sets are vendor food except Tal set and maybe half of Trang

no to new stuff sorry

2 Likes

I rly hate suggestions about stuff with +2 and more skills… There are already to many op runewords in the game.

2 Likes

Do people think the game is hard when you start that you need these super cheap op af runewords. Good Lord…

3 Likes

it’s very good for javazons too.

It’s not a problem. It’s great that Obsession’s 2-handed. There needed to be use cases for staves, because they are already plenty of use cases for 1-handed weapons on sorcs (sorc wands, necro wands, daggers, spirit sword, hoto flail).

the orb RWs you suggested are utterly insane how OP they are. There are 5 unique low level caster weapons that are great for sorc, and nothing should be stronger than them: Maelstrom, Suicide Branch, Spectral Shard, Razorswitch, Spirit Sword. The latter honestly needs to be nerfed to oblivion (it was concieved before rune drop buffs in 1.13, so now it’s too easy to get for how good it is).

What is missing are some more specialized caster weapons per class. Paladins have hand of blessed light. Necros have white. But trapsins and wind druids and warcry barbs just use the generic spirit, suicide branch, wizardspike, hoto. What i’d love to see is nerf of spirit sword and some more class-oriented items in its place.

2 Likes

I dunno why. They’re mostly rare runes, making it harder to make them to start with. Maybe my suggestions are a bit OP, but Blizz could take the suggestions and balance them out. Still, just trying to make thematic suggestions. e.e

The problem I always have with overtuned early to midgame runewords, is that by the time the average player has together the runes required and a base, they’ve long since outleveled the usefulness of the runeword they were targeting.

Well why don’t they just trade for them?

Issue: Any early to midgame advantages secured overwhelmingly through trade will inevitably skew ladder even more towards FG stockpilers and bot farmers. Thus exacerbating the perceived P2W of ladder via 3rd party sites.

New early to midgame runewords should be approached with extreme caution and reserve.

Those high end orbs are cool. Little bit too OP imo but I like the idea of new options. End game options for any D2 build is pretty small selection but I like idea. Obsession is just really now that good. Marginally better than hoto and spirit for a zod and a next to impossible to find staff base (i.e a mastery and skill base)

1 Like

I just realized what needs to be done to balance out spirit sword… remove ability to have 4 sockets from all the normal 1-handed swords! Want spirit? you’ll have to pump some stats!

1 Like

That solve nothing

You need to tackle it’s power not it’s requirement lol

Yep
Not only it’s not that good but it also could have been the fix to Mang song

Mang song reworked with obsession

+5 To All Skills
+60% Faster Cast Rate
-(7-15 )% To Enemy Lightning Resistances
-(7-15 )% To Enemy Cold Resistances
-(7-15 )% To Enemy Fire Resistances
60% all resists
20% maximum life
Regenerate Mana 10%
+50% Damage To Undead

but they instead decided to have new mediocre stuff injected in the game which makes uniques in need of love look even worse

Add to that the artificial need of Zod

There is no reason for this item to have a Zod

1. it will make much harder to obtain

2. do you realise how much strength and dex the casters will require? dimensional blade is 85\60 (but you’ll have to roll it in the cube for 4 sockets, 1/6 chance), battle sword is 92\43 and Rune Sword is 103\79

Nerfing spirit in a sword would omega piss off people lol.

1 Like

hey welcome to the forum man :+1:

a little pissing off wouldn’t hurt the game. I don’t think it will make people play less. It will only extend the time investment needed, prolong the journey to that mid-game gear.

I could agree with changing the shield runes. But I’d leave the sword alone personally. Hurt non sorc casyers early on

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t mind pissing off people if it’s for the sake of having a better game in the end

People are too emotionally attached to nostalgia and status quo that they don’t want to change even if it’s for the best

But I don’t think needing spirit would be needed if Blizzard reworked the upgrade recipe to also upgrade the stats of the Unique into new higher version

With this you could have items that posses a real competition to overpowered 1.10 runewords like hoto and spirit

For example:

From

Hexfire exceptional

+140-160% Enhanced Damage
Adds 35-40 Damage
+3 To Fire Skills
Level 6 Hydra (36 Charges)
Ignore Target’s Defense
Fire Resist +25%
10% To Maximum Fire Resist

To

Hexfire elite

+200-300% Enhanced Damage
Adds 70-80 Damage
+4 To Fire Skills
10% chance to castLevel 30 Hydra on hit
Ignore Target’s Defense
Fire absorb 15%

This could already be an interesting alternative from spirit and hoto for fire build and open up attack/caster options because of the +4 potentially compensating for fcr

Apply such changes to plenty of items with different themes and you’ll get a strong diversity of items that challenge the almighty runewords

The key imho would be higher skill level but damage type specific, not repeating Peter hu mistake of making them all “All skill”

Oh what a subjective tangled web we weave. The number of issues with your sentence is numerous and non-grammatical.

I feel sorcs have al the items they will ever need - they arent missing anything. Melee on the other hand could do with a good buffing, and the best way to do that in my mind is to make uniques all Eth possible, and to give the really iconic unqies to get multiple sockets.

This fixes things without stupid runeword pr 0n. Nerf Grief, nerf Enigma.

Imagine how popular razorswitch would become. It’s literally like spirit + ancient’s pledge but with +1 skill only and FHR replaced by MDR and a few more resist points

And Spirit + Ancients Pledge (or 3x Pdiamond shield) would be an upgrade over Razorswitch, to get an extra +1 all skills.

It doesn’t matter if players are pissed or not. What matters is if they will keep playing for less or for more. Some might rage quit but they will come back, because despite this discussion, Spirit sword doesn’t really make or brake Diablo 2.

Yeah and they would be mad for a week and then shut up because they’d realize that the game has become better

Same happened when purists cried about shared tab or extra tabs “the game is perfect don’t change it”