Should we consider nerfing spirit?

I don’t know if a single rune word invalidates as many items as spirit. Normally I wouldn’t advocate for nerfs in any scenario but spirit is just so universal and so inexpensive. It really kills so many uniques and so early on.

I think PoD added level mods on the fcr along with other minor nerfs to bring it in line. I don’t think that’s a bad idea at all.

12 Likes

Spirit is just fine.
Early you cant get 4os monarch so only sword/pala shields.
Later its something you get to get boost fast.
35fcr on it is needed by many builds to get their breakpoints so no change needed/wanted.

14 Likes

I found a nice +1 to necy skills wand with a level 28 req. I trashed it, Spirit is better. I found a +2 necy wand, lvl 42 req, vendor’d it as well. +2 Traps Claw lvl 30ish…vendor. +2 necy shrunken head…used that one it didn’t have the st req. +2 sorc +2 frozen orb…almost didn’t use it because it didn’t have the FCR.

I won’t argue Spirit is overpowered, but I don’t think we should be handing out nerfs. Spirit should have had a much higher level req so it is in line with the other items out there. There should be a simple +1 rune word that hits where spirit hits and spirit should be useable around lvl 50ish. The cat is out of the bag at this point, I don’t think you can get it back in.

1 Like

short answer: No
long answer: nnnooo

16 Likes

Less talk about nerfs. More talk about bringing older (pre expansion) items out of the gutter.

21 Likes

Yeah, but maybe just change the runes to more mid tier than a simple Tal, Thul, Ort, Amn.

The stats are absolutely insane especially for early Paladin shields. Lidless Wall used to be a good item until spirit arrived.

On the other hand, a monarch cant be used to till late game and reaching 156 str. So many players will argue that point and that it is fine how it is.

3 Likes

Lidless is still usable for non palla chars that dont want to get monarch 156 str. Like soso for Cta swap etc.

2 Likes

Tbh, 1.10+ rw in general are OP.

Even sets barely can give them some competition. If they follow d3 route which often is the case considering d2 history, would make other stuff op too. If they take wow route would nerf most of that patch stuff.

The patch was mainly done by a single person, which I think was incredible, but also shows how hard would be to solve other issues in game, the patch introduced a “mentality” of better ways to diagnose and narrow builds down. Maybe was because of it that game became more forgiving and easier in general.

Still, d2r needs changes. Those changes should be done either following what they done previously on d2 and currently on d3 or just take wow route. Any decision about that would be the “foundation” of what d2r would be.

I don’t think pre 1.10 was perfect but 1.10 also has several flaws. I hope they decide something great about it maybe mixing great stuff from both and create a entirely new system altogether. The elephants on the room are: unique/sets, 1.10+ rw and synergies. If they solve each one of them in a smart way things could turn out great.

I think spirit (shield) is fine

3 Likes

no, spirit is fine the way it is. makes hitting fcr & fhr bps so much easier and frees up gear for more options. and not like low levels are dominating with spirit weap… so silly…

dont get why there are so many of these crappy threads about “get rid of enigma/infinity/spirit/etc” dude go play non-expansion, no runewords & uniques to complain about.

Please do not bump troll threads and posts made by Stanner, Sekscalibure,vicVinegar, MEZKd2r, NOOBLMAO, Sareyene, Mifesto, MrEos, NeoRizer, RandyBoggs. Thank you from the D2R community.

4 Likes

I think nerfs in general are stupid.

Bring weaker things up to scale or add new alternatives.

Nerfs do nothing but annoy people. The only cases in which nerfs don’t annoy people are when poor people call for gear they can’t obtain to be nerfed…. And obviously the only people happy are the poor people who can feel a little less bitter about shiny things other people have.

8 Likes

everyone always brings up the paladin argument for spirit. paladins really only have one valuable item that’s specific to paladins and that’s herald of zakarum and it’s level 42. every other class has a bunch of class specific items catered to different builds. base shields with resistances or enhanced damage is perfectly fair for the paladin class considering all of the other options class specific items give to the other classes

As I’m against adding new items/runewords that wouldn’t be bad at all. There are so many cool unique items that are not used. Buffing them to runewords level would be fair so there’s more options for gearing like alternatives for Grief or Enigma and hype for finding those items.

Considering casters typically have only 2 stats, this isn’t much of an argument. It takes very little time for a sorceress to hit 156 strength. Takes more time for a spin-2-win Barbarian to hit this than it does for a sorc. The only thing balancing this item is the LVL requirement, and it’s too low for just how powerful it is. The shield needs it’s own identity.

You must be one of the sorcs who teles into any mobs and gets insta gibbed. Don’t worry ive played way longer than you and your arguments are hilariously bad and wrong.

1 Like

You sound like you don’t know what you are talking about my guy. This made zero sense. Ppl level w ancients then switch to spirit shield endgame. I have a 90+ bvc, blizz sorc, windy, hammerdin, psn necro and ghost sin on d2r. Played og long before runewords.

There is nothing wrong w spirit as is. This whole thread is silly.

3 Likes

All dorks in these forums are so bad and cry and whine about everything then take good advice and say its wrong LOl i just love calling you all out. The fact you still play d2r and piss and moan says it all. Youre all absolute garbage!!!

2 Likes

Yet your comment is void of any relevant information.

Yet another post void of information.

if any rune word has or should be changed its enigma, spirit is fine

1 Like

Of course it’s void of info when you cherry pick comments instead of quoting the whole thing, clown. Spirit shield is for end game.

“The only thing balancing it is the lvl req.” No one is using spirit shield at lvl 25 and if they are they’re an idiot. Shield lvl w ancients pledge rw and switch to spirit later in monarch or pally shield w max res.

Whining about end game gear is pleb mentality. I bet you have a few “nerf enigma/infinity/grief” threads floating around too :joy:

And one more time for the people in the back. The only people who cry for nerfs can’t afford the items they are crying about and are bitter someone else steamrolled them w said item, (refer to enigma/grief/infinity again.)

1 Like