Sets with changes look weak on paper

Theres the long standing problem of not being able to find the lower level sets at a low enough level for them to be useful. By the time you have even two pieces, let alone the full set, you’re already level 80+.

4 Likes

Is it that everything that is changed must be able to be great endgame items? Is that what the problem is here? Because if so then maybe take another look at the changes and you might see that some of the changes might be good if you are leveling an alt and find the set with your sorc farmer. Especially for leveling they might be interesting.

I don’t think that Blizz said that the changes to items would shake things up or change the items used at endgame.

I would say that those that love to compete against others in the race to 99 is a good reason to play ladder. Expecting that after a period of time a ton of new rune words would be created solely for endgame was leading to you being disappointed.

1 Like

Add 33% pierce to mavinas full set bonus. It’s the biggest disadvante of the set compared to other equip for the frostmaiden.
Edit: even better, add it to mavinas true sight as full set bonus.

Add as much fire damage as ice damage to make the set also viable for magezone.
Edit: +1xx-2xx fire damage to belt as 4 piece bonus, +20% fire skill damage to belt as full set bonus.

1 Like

Should be over 2200 i believe with another piece from arctic.

1 Like

How many of those sets did you put together while levelling ?

And how many characters did u level past sigons (aka after lvl 20-25 tombs)

İf those sets dropped much much frequently then maybe
(Dont start they are abundant you dont even pick then up … they are abundant when you start hell meph farming … not during levelling

1 Like
1 Like

+1 for Blizzard making the other elite sets as useful as tal’s.

1 Like

I am just glad I wasn’t missing something. The runes used to up these items are more valuable than the items themselves.

I think that Cleglaw’s sword is also worth upgrading. Scaling +max damage and 50% deadly strike is decent, quite apart from the full set bonuses. Honestly, I think this set is under-rated, especially for paladin alts.

3 Likes

Iratha is already one of the best sets and got buffed.
I am also actually glad that they didnt change elite sets. Thing is we can now up sets pieces, and buffing some of the elite sets right now, may result in some really broken things. For example Hvanin with CV is already perfectly fine for Hell, Trang Armor is now borderline broken.

1 Like

I must admit, I was a bit stoked to see the singular change to Iratha. I’m running a self-found Fire Ranger with that set in Hell, and although I have a weapon with Explosive Arrow I’m still missing Piercing Attack. :+1:

1 Like

I used to wear it on my low level PK paladin :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s the funny thing, people who actually play the game know which low level stats are actually amazing. A great example is the Angelic set – I run dual rings and an amulet on just about every melee character I own, at least as an alternate build for certain situations, but the D2R team didn’t go and add massively useful stats to these low level sets (like 1k AR per ring, using Angelic’s as an example), no, they added more useless stats that do absolutely nothing, lol.

Again, it just seems like the D2R team doesn’t actually play or know the game.

Yea to me the changes were trash. No I’m not looking for all sets to get buffed into being end game items. But as was mentioned here pretty much all class sets aside from Tals desperately need buffs. Mavs and Aldurs in particular blow.

Why the devs thought classic d2 sets needed slight updates along with their runeword creation, like Obsession wtf why does a Sorc need an indestructible weap with knockback and on struck effect in PvM just shows these folks don’t play the game and perhaps don’t understand things. Maybe they legitimately think casting spells on a sorc lowers your weapon durability, or knockback gets procd on spells or they don’t know depending on some mobs you can get instakilled so they think on struck effects are good. So many wtf… many people here have had much better suggestions than most of this trash! The alvl 85 additions are really the best thing to come out of this patch.

1 Like

A set dusk shroud with 350% defense and 10 all resist? Garbage.

Nope, it’s garbage. Take a Long Sword with 3-19 base damage, make it a Rune Sword for 10-42, and then a Cryptic Sword for 5-77, with a 99str 109dex level 60 req and at that point (lvl60) it’ll have +75 max damage for a total range of 5-152 damage.

At level 99 it maxes out at +123 for 5-200 damage.

And oh hey, 50% chance to be 10-400 damage on deadly strike.

That’s hot garbage.

Oath says Hi.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know how to reply to this. You go ahead and be pissed that the changes don’t stack up to Oath and the like. I’ll go ahead and enjoy playing with the sets that I’ve put together for new characters. We’re both winning, just in vastly different ways.

It’s fairly simple… runewords that are cheap outshine even upgraded sets and largely because sets don’t have good weapons (good damage modifiers). To upgrade a cleglaw sword you need ral-sol-lum-pul. To make oath you need shael-pul-mal-lum. So for a measly Mal rune of difference you immediately outshine the average damage of an Elite cleglaw, with the added bonuses of the bone spear proc, the Wolverine charges, the damage/AR vs demons, 50% ias, Indestructible, and prevent monster heal.

It’s not even a close contest.

I’m not sure where you started thinking I was saying that upgrading set items could in any way compete with high-rune-words. My original point was simply that I like Cleglaw’s for a baby paladin, because it already has staying power (with the %AR and scaling damage) and upgrading to exceptional – I would never go to elite – adds a little more. Maybe instead of “paladin alts” I should have specified “new paladins”? Anyway, other than this clarification: see my previous post, and have a nice day.

1 Like

Oath isn’t a high runeword. It takes a Mal.

There’s also no reason to upgrade a 3-10 base to a 10-42 base. There are many far superior weapons in this range already, it’s pointless.