Running multiple instances of D2R on the same computer

I mean there really is nothing in D2 that is all THAT hard to farm. Like me and a buddy have been pumping out a torch every 2-3 hours.

All you need for ubers is a pally or barb level 85+ with > 50% crushing blow, drac gloves(or exile on pally), laying on hands and some resists charms. That’s as hard as D2 gets. All you need for key farming is a sorc with 105 fcr 86 fhr a merc with a thresher or better insight + tal mask/cot/av and some okay resists.

The point is, they are allowing to purchase multiple accounts under the same owner but they don’t allow to run the game on multiple instances under the same PC (even thought in bnet you can aanable this option? , why? There is no reason whatsoever to do this.
If I have 7 PCs I can always run a full party anyway, so why limit this option to single PC users.
Blizzard allows wow players, Hearthstone, etc to do this but not D2R?
Their decision making on this subject does not make sense at all.

4 Likes

Hi,

Here is how to do it:

• Make a 2nd copy of your game folder
  • Open bnet from this folder to validate your folder
  • In windows, create a new user account
  • From that new windows account, start D2R.exe from your copied game folder
  • Open an online game with a pwd
  • Use Windows+L shortcut and switch to your classic windows account (bottom left)
  • Open D2R.exe from your original folder
  • Join the game and enjoy
5 Likes

The problem is if you have 2 bnets accounts running, the other one changes also the default folder to the new one. Is this an issue for you?

You can run the 2 accounts at the same time in 2 windows sessions. One shortut to the original D2 folder, the second one pointing to the copied one. I did it and it works.
I agree though it should be allowed natively.

2 Likes

@Ness you are wrong, you can’t have more than 20 chars on an account.

when d2r came out I wanted to make a lot of “interesting” name and after 20 characters I had an error message “max number of characters is 20”

1 Like

Can it be done with normal user accounts with no email, etc? So far if I change one the other one updates the folder as well.
Also, are coping the game folder in another driver or same one?

I would imagine they have to be installed on two separate drives otherwise it probably refers to the exe already running

I’d be happy to run one client at this point.

3 Likes

Thank-you so much! So insane that they make it difficult.

3 Likes

use 2 computers. It’s that simple.

It works with the two game folders on the same drive.

My windows accounts are local (not linked to an email address). Try with Add a user without a Microsoft account .

1 Like

If you have steam and another capable computer just install it there and stream it to your main rig. You have to add the actual .exe as a non steam game but it works.

1 Like

Does it need a second hard drive or can be done as a partition of the same drive? just changing name folders in the same drive doesn’t work.

So far it doesn’t work for me. Changed name folders but still detects the other game running. If change the .exe file it doesn’t run at all.

1 Like

This is way to much to be able to do this.

1 Like

Sure, you are going to buy me another right?

There is nothing wrong with running two copies of D2R on same computer.

It’s just a shame it is so much work to do so.

1 Like

cant work. tried. it just hangs.

1 Like

Good points! Or if they allowed stacking of similar potions/scrolls/gems/runes/etc.