Running multiple instances of D2R on the same computer

IMO this limitation in D2R has nothing to do with Blizzard policies. It’s probably a technical limitation: the dev team didn’t think about running multiple instances of the game on the same machine.

The BNET launcher seems to be hardcoded to work with one specific account and one running instance of a given game.

It’s possible to launch multiple Overwatch (another Blizzard game) instances on the same machine. If I start the game with its exe file (without using the BNET launcher) then it starts with an in-game login screen where I can enter the email+password of the account. (The game still uses the region settings saved by the last launch through the BNET app.) It’s a different story that I never wanted to run multiple Overwatch instances on the same machine but I know that it works because I tried it a couple years ago. However, it’s still nice that it allows login with an alt account easily without having to logout/login in the BNET application.

I actually got it to work, 1st you have to open the directory and have it check your PC name because it’s gay proof!

What? Such a detailed explanation lol

I can’t stop laughing… good one. And such a dry delivery.

If you are using Windows 10 Hyper-V you need to use GPU pass-through so the VM uses your video card. This will require your host system graphics drivers to be copied to you vm and a power-shell script to be ran before launching the VM. If you google it you can find out how to do it. It does work.

I have 3 updated gaming PC’s. My problem is that I’m the only one who knows how to play this game. My wife and daughter dont know how to play my games.

2 Likes

This is what’s happening. When the client runs it puts a lock on file resources, meaning another instance won’t be able to read or write to them. Coding around this isn’t easy, but it’s not hard either. Definitely beneath the level of skill you’d expect to see from a games developer.

For some reason game programmers are under constant attack. I have the impression that a lot of people on gaming forums think that working for a game dev company is like having fun by doing a hobby project with friends. It couldn’t be further from the truth.

Opening a file without locking is very easy, it doesn’t require “skills”. However, if “not locking” isn’t part of the requirements then the programmers and the QA team don’t test this behaviour, they have better things to do. The programmer calls the closest “open file” function with default parameters and everyone’s happy if it works in all situations that are listed in the requirements, the programmer HAS TO move on to the next task on the TODO list. They may not even know about certain features (like running multiple instances) that same players want. They are doing paid jobs and can’t have fun by polishing those parts of the codebase they personally care about because that is wasted time in the eyes of the employer and it involves the risk of braking features on the list of requirements and fixing those would require even more time. It’s a JOB that sucks even if the position is filled by someone who likes programming and has a lot of talent and experience. Even if you are an enthusiastic programmer who implements a cool feature using your free time during the weekend, chances are good that your “bosses” don’t want to see your code because of the risk of breaking other features that are important. When you leave the company the “cool feature” becomes abandoned because it isn’t on the list of requirements. Even if you don’t leave, you forget about it and someone breaks it between patches.

The (high level) functions called by programmers (not only game developers) often have complicated internal implementations and may have slightly different behaviour on each platform. It’s impossible to prepare for “everything”, having a QA team and running the tests on non-stop basis on the target platforms helps in keeping at least a limited number of important features healthy (TBH I’m not surprised that running multiple instances wasn’t on their list).

On some platforms it’s possible to “lock and share for read” but they may have valid reasons for exclusive locks (one of them is “playing it safe”), who knows…

try n catch inigo montoya on twitch when hes on. he does 3 clients at the same time with some app i dont know about. im not sure if its legal but maybe since hes doing it live without issues :wink:

Its called use a 2nd computer/laptop next to you

LOL, what does it matter to you that players run multiple D2R?
whether you dislike it has nothing to do with you, because it can’t affect you at all, so as I see, why don’t BZ just forbid you to speak here, you just don’t like that and expect BZ to forbid them to do, then I can expect BZ to ban you from appearing here because I don’t like you toooooooo.

I guess he found it in his baby bottle.

The easiest way to run multiple instances is with a (64 bit) Linux distro that has Phoenicis Playonlinux, or Lutris installed. :slight_smile: It really is that simple.

1 Like

thanks. clicking the live on twich, and waht seeing: click create, not create server bla-bla issue. OMG…

If that’s the issue, Then how about just install another D2R on your hard drive and let the Battle.net run it too?
2 Different directories of D2R, easy.

Thank you for these amazing words of wisdom! You are so smucking fart!

1 Like

What you are asking for is multiboxing, and is against the TOS, and will get you banned.

Please provide source to your claims. I am pretty confident that this is not true.

He is mulitboxing which is fine and legal.
I used to multibox D3 years ago.
You have to pay a small fee to use mulitbox or isboxer.

Right now atm Inigo Montoya is stuck in cue and freaking out somewhat!
https://www.twitch.tv/inigomontoya

1 Like

Just spent a few minutes trying to make this work. I don’t have 2 copies of D2R so someone would have to confirm they can actually join games.

1. Download Process explorer
  2. Launch D2R from Bnet
  3. Open Process Explorer
  4. Find D2R on the left side, click on it
  5. Find the Event "Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\Diablo II Check For Other Instances
  6. Right click the event and select ‘Close Handle’
  7. Open another D2R instance using the .exe (not Bnet)
  8. Close process explorer (you dont have to, but it eats moderate resources).