People keep trying to scam me

Today 5 different people tried to scam me by putting up a replicate item that looks the same as the item i want, thinking I would fall for it. There is no report function for scamming… just cheating(which i have been using). This is super annoying because it is a waste my time. Do something about this BS because some poor newb will fall for this.

6 Likes

This was a thing in the original D2 too. If you want, you can try online trading forum or even d2jsp. Believe or not, those people are actually more trustworthy than some random players you meet in a random trade game.

I got tired of scam attempts and inability to find items I need reliably even when I have other items of enough worth to trade for. At one point in original D2 I pretty much lost hope for this game and the community and then… stumbled upon d2jsp and it pretty much restored my interest in the game again.

10 Likes

As much as I hate that D2JSP is ruining the economy, I concur that it’s at least safe to trade there. I guess they put a lot more effort into security when there’s actual money on the line with each trade…

2 Likes

someone link the carbot vid so it can be used as a PSA.
Get a lesson and a laugh all in one :smiley:

Also, what a strange endorsement above :confused:

3 Likes
13 Likes

thank you Hahnfruh haha :heart:

I really really hope that most of the diablo community can agree…
Carbot is a treasure and must be protected at all costs

5 Likes

Nothing will be done, and that’s fair.
As much as I hate people trying to do this I don’t think there is anything specific blizzard can do about them that would be fair overall.
I do not want a report function for that as it can be abused as every other report function.
I do not want this game to become overwatch, where my account get’s silenced for literally everything i say or not say, do or not do and then I am unable to play just because my account is silenced.
This is absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable. And I don’t want it in this game.

So, keep your eyes open for scams, just like you do in real life and don’t ask someone else to do everything for you

3 Likes

looks like you are offended. You must do this scam :slight_smile:

1 Like

happens in real life too. hence why there are websites and forums dedicated to trading in the safest way possible. people may hate JSP but sadly it is one of the few ways to get a legitimate trade, whether trading with a long time/known member or by using a moderator to facilitate the exchange.

blizzard does not want to waste more time and money, it would be silly for them to track each scam. just be smart with how you deal with strangers like in RL…

I am looking at the items before I trade… but its a waste of my time when you got multiple scammers trying to scam you. They could just add a feature where the text is shown of the item that is placed in the trade window to discourage them more. I will def check out d2jsp though.

1 Like

I’m going to put here a suggestion I had made for Diablo 3 to secure the trading window precisely because the same scams were happening there (in vanilla D3) as were happening in D2, and now D2R.

The following may seem complicated, but once experienced you’d quickly get used to it, and it would prevent scamming in the ways seen in this thread. Any references in this original quote to Diablo 3 or gold ar irrelevant to D2R:

2 Likes

Hmmm can someone explain how this scam really works? I haven’t done much trading or at all (just only did one trade but that was through the trading forums here) so I want to know what to look out for so I can protect myself. I don’t mean how they do it but like what do they do 'cause I am a bit confused from what the OP describes it as (my English is a bit weak lol).

Scammers are scum, but that’s the authentic D2 experience. There is a wild west variable to this game that is integral.

4 Likes

If they put a Shako in the trade window, you’ll look at the stats, aesthetics (green), etc and see it is indeed a shako.

If you both agree to trade, they’ll let you press the checkmark first, and then they’ll press cancel which will close the window and can also happen if your inventory is full ( Or they’ll say they cancelled by accident).

Then you’ll open the trade back up, they’ll wait for you to put your item in, then they’ll put back the “green shako” and instantly press the checkmark, and then you’ll most likely do that in return completing the trade.

But when you look at the shako in your inventory, you’ll find that you don’t have a shako, you have a regular cap socketed with a green gem which made the brown cap turn green. It’s just scam that takes advantage of peoples trust/impatience/desperation.

2 Likes

always double triple and quadruple check before making any trade…

1 Like

So all the OGs have been through these scams before and much worse.

When I was a teen I thought it would be awesome to join a clan… Well they wanted me to sign up on a website sounds reasonable… Next thing I know my character is dropping all it’s items.

Welcome to d2 stay awhile and listen.

1 Like

Great, learn social experience while playing games

This is how the D2 trade window has pretty much always worked. They added in the inability to trade if you remove or change an item but basically it’s buyer PAY ATTENTION. Yes it’s a waste of time when someone pulls this cancel re-post the trade window with a “fake” item you want, but honestly, if you’re so eager to put your offer in and hit the checkmark without double and triple checking what’s in the window before you accept the trade, then you’re a sucker who deserves the hard lesson in life – and NO I’m not condoning the behavior or scammers.

Morale of the story is: Check the item before you trade, always, EVERY TIME the window is closed / re-opened. Yes you will have scum buckets who waste your time with this bs but that unfortunately is the way of the world.

2 Likes

dude, this has been part of the game since day 1 release. Take the time to mouse over the item and double check. Why does everything need an action taken by the governing body (blizzard)

2 Likes

There’s an older than me saying…

“Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.”

So, umm, maybe stop being the victim?

3 Likes