Online SSF Mode

Hmm, interesting how the first reply is now the second reply. Are some people here downvoting that comment? :joy:

SSF Ladder, like the idea.

3 Likes

I donā€™t Needā€¦ I think itā€™s a feature iā€™ll never useā€¦

I think the best version of a bnet SSF ladder would be the ability to trade items, but not be able to use what you trade for. The items go in a stash other characters can use.

The opposite for me, you get what your character gets and thats it.

You still get a ladder, ladderwide first announcements.

2 Likes

SSF is about not being able to play or trade with others. You can only use what you find yourself. Thatā€™s what makes it so appealing and youā€™re happy about every drop that brings you further.

Also, it will be so that you may not use the perfect Griffons with your Barb, that is also part of it.

1 Like

I know, thatā€™s what I was suggesting. Only you have the ability to trade things away. What you get in return, you still canā€™t use. SSF is preserved, but it gives further motivation to farm.

All matters is the leaderboard actually, for the SSF mode.

Actually no need to separate realm for SSF. Blizz can modify the leaderboard slightly, basically making a new leaderboard called SSF (and make 1 for HC as well). A player by default will be in this leaderboard. However, once that player joins a pub room or creates a pub room, the char is removed from SSF board into normal board.

1 Like

We need the ladder so the ssf players can compwrte with eaxh other. This would be the firsr ever legit d2 ladder in history no bots , no jsp!!

3 Likes

Iā€™m all for a SSF mode. Other games have done it, thereā€™s clearly a demand in the market for it. And given all the systems that would be required for it to work already exist, it should be pretty easy for Blizzard to implement it. Lets go! SSF ladder :+1:

3 Likes

While I wouldnā€™t personally play on a SSF ladder I donā€™t see the harm in adding it. The only thing I see keeping them from doing it is not wanting to waste dev time on it.

1 Like

I too would not mind a SSF ladder, but more important to me would be a grail and rune and gem stacking. I like all those ideas but will the devs do any of them? Somehow I doubt it. With D4 coming, I think D2R will see alot less attention from Blizz

Iā€™d still say that the best way to enforce SSF ladder is to add a tag info field to all items that indicate who has found it and how. If your account has found it solo by using ladder SFF character, it has your tag and all your SFF ladder characters can use it. If it is traded or found in multiplayer game, the tag field would be empty. This would also have all older items have empty tag field, so no retro tagging would be necessary.

This way you can trade items away, and even in, as long as you only earn experience by having items your SFF characters have found.

Having an item that has not your tag and earning any experience while having it, would remove that character from SFF ladder and place it to the normal Ladder.

Fair and simple. Or does someone see some flaw in my thinking?

Nope, thats not SSF.

If you want to play ssf, you have to check that at character creation and have to live with the fact that you canā€™t play, interact or trade with other players. Otherwise the whole thing makes no sense. For all I care, you can talk about removing yourself from SSF, but then there can be no way back. Trading makes the whole SSF story completely pointless.

3 Likes

How does trading away items make things pointless? You wouldnā€™t be able to use any items you trade in anyways, or you would be removed off from the SFF ladder. I would say that if you are reprieved the possibility to trade your items away to other non SFF ladder characters, then you would remove an important feature of the game, which is trading.

I hope you can see that this way while wanting to be in SFF ladder, you are able to magic find to other non SFF ladder players, but use only items you have self-found?

When I still played this was exactly what I did. Iā€™d toss away stuff I didnā€™t need/want in public games. Sometimes Iā€™d even do a few higher player count runs to mix it up/chat.

The rule stands though, if you didnā€™t loot it yourself, you canā€™t use it. Then again I played my entire account this way.

Yeah, but the point is that you cannot earn any exp in a public game, or pick any item for your SFF char to use from a public game. If you do, then you are removed from SFF.

Rules of SFF would be in simplicity:

1. You can only earn exp in Solo Play.
  2. You can only have items your SFF ladder characters have gotten as a drop in Solo Play. If you earn any exp while having other items in your pack or equip slots, you are removed from SFF ladder permanently.

I mean Iā€™d never play a mode like that personally.

Just seems like a mode for people with impulse control issues. I just do it my own way with self found items. Donā€™t need a script telling me what I can and canā€™t do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, this is just another ladder option for ppl that like it. I personally would take part in it if done like I suggested. :grin:

I donā€™t see the point of it honestly. Single player already has that. I prefer online play without trading and consider that SSF. Trading breaks the game in so many ways.

The ā€œsoloā€ part of SSF I think is more about intent than restrictions. If I log in and rush a buddy, that shouldnā€™t invalidate a character. If I hop into a Baal run and go kill countess, that changes nothing. As long as youā€™re the one doing the killing, and not accepting trades/gifts/RMT then itā€™s fine.