Offline character is gone

Patch installed.

Not i click “play” D2R starts with blackscreen, then crash.
Log says this:

NVSDK_NGX_D3D12_Init failed, error code: -1160773631

6 Likes

Tip - regularly back up the folder where the game save files are located. In the event of an unforeseen situation, you can recover from this backup.

pc here, ive made 2 online characters, no identical names, got rolled back on the one ive been playing, a nights long of playing, is there any way i can get the progres back? Will this happen again if i play more on that character, what can we do in this situation. I have the saved files…

Same. Lost 9 levels and an act and a half worth of online progression.

happened to me also, my sorceres level 5 gone in offline mode. Game is more BETA than final release. why you only made beta 2 days with 2 acts in first place? Activision pushing you to release a beta game still?, not the first time. All about the money… then you get angry people blaming your company for this bull.

Just lost an offline lvl40+ Sorc. The files are still visible in Saved games. I haven’t created any online characters yet, so if the “naming bug” is still open, it has nothing to do with that.

2 Likes

I just lost everything…, I play only offline, my main character level 70 with all of my good gear is removed from the list with characters. I have several other characters but they cannot enter the game… The issue happened after my power when down, once I rebooted my PC I saw that 12 days of progress was deleted :frowning: . I checked my save folder and I see that my deleted character is there but probably is corrupted or something. Also I suspect that the shared stash file is also corrupted and that is why I cannot enter with any of my other characters. Can someone let me know if there is a fix to this?

2 Likes

This just happened for me last night as well. All the character files are where they should be, but my three offline characters no longer appear on the list. None of them share names with online characters either. Hoping there is a solution coming soon.

1 Like

I’ve had the same thing happen. Can’t make new characters either, without removing the shared stash file. It just tells me ‘unable to join game’. I can see my missing Necromancer in my save folder.

1 Like

One thing that I just realized. Eleven days was the last post about losing characters. Today I just lost my offline necro lvl 23. The posts about losing characters just returned since yesterday. Blizz made some s#&t recently. Someone lost a characters between this period? Sorry by my bad english.

3 Likes

Just delete ur shared stash file. And it works. Been locked out for a few days now. Finally able to play other characters. Though my corrupted char is not showing up anymore. So bbye fire sorc ig.

hello - i recently had an issue where the game disconnected and asked me to install d2 again. i did so but then i could not play my Hardcore SOLO character, she dissapeared from my list and if i try to join with another Hardcore toon i got the messaged ‘failed to join the game’. for some reason the Softcore toons can be played just not hardcore. i tried to remake another random toon but to no avail. im guessing when she got dced in game she got lost in limbo and maybe stuck in the game. the character name was ‘Pathofexile’ (lol). im hoping the devs didnt get sh&tty about the name and are trolling me :open_mouth:

cheers

I normally shut down my computer and after a while i wanted to play but my main character was missing and i couldnt play with my alt characters. I erased shared stash now i can play with other characters but i lost my main and my stash. this is really frustrating… all my high runes perf items are gone. Character files are still there but i think they are corrupted or smthg. Nothing seems to work. I really dont know how can one break a game that literally works for 20 years.

I hate this trend… Release the game and fix it later…

We had a power failure in our house and after rebooting my main char was totally gone but still in the save folder. Further i cannot play with any other char, its show: Login failure. Remark: All in offline mode.
What can I do?

Use your savefile Backup. Your current savefile could be corrupted and than you can’t play anymore with the character.

Where can I find the savefile backup? Do I need to backup every offline char?

Your “savefile backup” can be anywhere you want it to be. (Preferably on a separate drive).

Your Game Save Files, as @TimberWolf keeps telling everyone:

For example, mine are in:

C:\Users\perus\Saved Games\Diablo II Resurrected

I currently have 10 Offline Characters. So, the total number of files in my Saved Games\Diablo II Resurrected folder is 56.

Just one Character, Chao-Ahn, uses these save files:

1. Chao-Ahn.ctl
  2. Chao-Ahn.d2s
  3. Chao-Ahn.key
  4. Chao-Ahn.ma0
  5. Chao-Ahn.ma1
  6. Chao-Ahn.ma2
  7. Chao-Ahn.ma3
  8. Chao-Ahn.map

These files are used by all Offline Characters (save files):

1. Settings.json
  2. SharedStashSoftCoreV2.d2i

Note:

The .ma? files are your Act Map files. They will not be created for a Character until you’ve reached the Act it’s associated with.

For example,
A newly created Character will have a .map file.
When that Character reaches Act II, they will have a .map and a .ma0 file.

That would be the smart thing to do. (But, only after you quit your game session. And only if you had a successful Save & Exit from the game).

Ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. But, I do not have any Savefile Backup yet and the problem that I have is with the current save files, at least that is my guess. I have no idea why it is not working.

Your shared stash file is corrupted. That prevents you from loading any other offline character in the same mode. There are two shared stash files: one for softcore, one for hardcore. A corrupted softcore stash file would prevent you from playing any softcore character, but you can still play hardcore characters; and vice versa for a corrupted hardcore stash file.

You have to delete the corrupted file in order to play. Of course, that means you lose everything in your shared stash.

You are responsible for backing up your computer files, not Blizzard, your mom, or anyone else. And it’s not just the game files; you should be regularly backing up all the data on your computer. If you haven’t been backing up your data, then you are SOL on the character that you lost. Start over with a new one.

1 Like

First of all, thanks for your answers and support! Both of you!
I deleted the shared stash file and now my chars are working, but not my main Char that I was playing with when the game chrashed. That one seems also to be corrupted. Please don’t tell me that I cannot restore him?! I put days … weeks, months of pure gaming time into it. I just finished Infinity and was close to my end game build. I’m not the kind of gamer who wants to start every 4 months, thats why I’m playing offline and not waiting for the ladder mode!
I understand your point with backing up my computer files and thats what I’m doing … but not every single day! I’m doing it 4 times a year.
But this is not content of the discussion. I’m just searching for a solution … and for me to be honest it is not: Start over with a new one.
At least the other chars are working (besides all my HR’s are gone due to the shared stash)

1 Like