Next Hit Delay Changes

If you don’t know how NHD works, check out my detailed thread about it: How Next Hit Delay Actually Works (another essay)

With Macro’s sneak peak at S4 patch notes, we have the information that NHD is being reworked in accordance with my (and Childe’s) suggestion on my How Next Delay Impacts Martial Arts (an essay) post.

Check out his video to see the full sneak peak (there’s only 2, but I’ll leave the other change a surprise): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xnchamo3Hg

The text that’s relevant is this:

The Next Hit Delay system now only applies to missiles created by casting the same skill.

Now, this is slightly ambiguous, and we don’t know definitively what this means. I can interpret this in two different ways.

The first way being my suggestion in the above post, where NHD is only shared amongst a function spawning missiles for a single skill cast. This would mean all the Ice Bolts from Frozen Orb share the same NHD (poor example cuz Frozen Orb doesn’t actually have NHD, but should convey the point), but separate skill casts such as Claws of Thunder and Phoenix Strike for the Martial Arts Assassin do not share the same delay, and instead each skill has its own delay. They provide extra clarification to say that each charge-up is considered its own skill, so Claws of Thunder 2 and Claws of Thunder 3 also each have their own NHD.

So, Warren, does this have any future implications anywhere? Maybe, I’ll explain in the next paragraph. This introduces healthy changes to the Martial Arts Assassin, but has almost no impact anywhere else. Fire Druid also sees a reasonable buff, since a lot of skills have NHD. Wait, they’re buffing MA sin again??? Technically, yes. But believe me when I say that this will have negligible impact on her already insane damage output. She already one shot everything. Now she simply one shots things. However, future modifications (including potential changes (aka nerfs) to MA sin in S4 that have not been shared) to MA sin are easier and more healthy for the character build.

But, if this change is also per execution rather than per skill source, then 3 frame MA sin will actually be fully effective and not highly redundant in every other kick. This would end up being a decent buff, but once again, she already one shots everything. This change could likely be coming in ahead of some nerfs to the damage/AoE of her skills.

Most importantly, this would also mean that two people playing NHD builds (think a Strafezon and a Mosaicsin playing together) will not cancel each others’ skills out.

I assume this is the direction they chose to redesign NHD. My other idea of ‘NHD is now shared only between each skill, but the source of the skill does not matter’ implementation doesn’t make much sense, as two people playing the same NHD builds will cancel each other out still.

This also opens up more complex skill possibilities in modding. So rejoice, this is a very good and healthy change for the game.

7 Likes

This - glad your original post, and my video brought attention to this. Guess we will wait for the affirmative patch notes ahead of 2.7 release.

5 Likes

since there’s no patch notes i was wondering where he got the information from. i’ve checked on twitter too, but cant find anything…

1 Like

pretty sure hes stating that blizzard shared with him the information directly

2 Likes

This is amazing. I should’ve expected youtubers getting info before the rest of us since they did this last time too.

2 Likes

Looks like the party damage is gonna skyrocket with the NHD changes… :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

A dose of power creep, anyone? :syringe:

idk, not many skills have NHD… and the only meta build that has NHD is the mosaicsin. the rest of the NHD builds arent meta or the skill that has NHD is not the primary skill of the build. like how many times do you party with a strafezon or a fire druid and steamroll the game?

Well lets just hope Blizzard isn’t afraid to use the nerf bat if needed. Yeah it will tick some people off, but I’d rather D2:R not go full blown clear the screen D3 style.

i think that would be the intent. mosaicsin has the most overlapping NHD skills, and in light of a very overtuned and visually explosive character, i dont doubt they will bring her down some degree. now that her missiles dont cancel each other out, they can easily reduce missile uptime, range, or damage without making her feel awful due to the poor design of NHD

I mean, multishot is also affected by NHD too and it’s unfortunate that multiple bowazons at the moment can’t be parties together for this reason.

That said, assassin nerfs should come out on top here but not holding my breath out on that one.

the nhd changes is really big for all elemental druids in solo play, let alone party play. Shockwave druid no longer mitigating party dps is also big for ladder start party rushes

1 Like

NHD is a bad anti-fun mechanic.
they should delete it entirely.

2 Likes

Everything they ever implemented is power creep. Because if it was not, nobody would use the changed skill or the rune word they worked at.
The game has become even less challenging with every single patch ever.

I like the NHD changes, seems logical. However I do NOT like the idea of them nerfing the MA skills.
Mosaic was a bad idea In the first place and now they’re going to nef a whole skill tree because of some bad runeword they only introduced last patch?
Removing the NHD isn’t what is making the MA sin too strong it’s the stupid bloody runeword that is the problem here.
Nerf the runeword not the skill tree.

Not having a go at you I actually agree with you, the mosaic sin needs a nerf.
I just hope they take the nerf bat to the correct place.

2 Likes

Okay so is Attack rating

1 Like

unfortunately it makes sense on some skills. NHD is good when its specific to only the missiles within its skill. mass aoe skills wouldnt be aoe anymore because theyd all be able to collide and burst on the same target, which ruins the fantasy design of the build. think the chaos ice bolts from phoenix strike all hitting the target you hit. you lose all the AoE for that skill. it just really negatively impacted the usage of multiple skills across the board, but now it doesnt.

2 Likes

Also imagine, without NHD, being able shotgun bosses with Multishot. On one hand, BOOM! On the other hand, you wouldn’t be able to hit a whole herd of cows at once anymore, just the front line.

Another example is Poison Nova. Without NHD, all projectiles would only hit the closest enemies with redundant, non-stacking poison damage without poisoning the whole field like it currently does.

1 Like

There are other settings in game files preventing this from happening.

like what? im pretty sure NHD is the only mechanic that prevents shotgunning…

I am on phone now, cant check files, should be lastcollide or something like that.