Nearly 20 Years as Druid Shapeshifter, Now Ruined

Continuing the discussion from Druid WW and WB Attack Speed Changes:

Wow, it’s hard to think about all of the time that I spent on this game playing purely as a Werewolf or a Werebear. I have been playing since the original release; I discovered the druid during the Lord of Destruction expansion’s initial release and became immediately glued, like many people did, I’m sure.

Fast forward to now; we have a game that has been “revitalized” after years of neglect from developers aside from minor tweaks. I have continued to play Lord of Destruction up through this past year, and after jumping with blind faith into D2:R and all of its problems, I have to say that this last change hits the hardest.

Werebears and Werewolves were uniquely fashioned with the “quirks” that they call them so that they could be viable in both PVM and PVP content. Being a Werebear in nearly every circumstance is already playing the underdog; closing the distance to ranged classes without stepping out of Werebear into Human Form to Teleport can take a very long time, require impeccable timing and a lot of luck, hoping that the caster will make a mistake and allow you to get close. Against a formidable player of more than one particular class, this can prove nearly impossible already, even with attack speed the way it has been for years; as it currently stands, once you touch your opponent they generally have a hard time escaping from taking repeated hits in sequence. With the planned changes, that tiny window of possible victory is totally eliminated, allowing (in many cases, unresistable) magic or physical damage to be taken in fast enough succession to die before you can make your killing blow, based on the opponent’s character statistics and resistances.

How do we approach a max-block caster as a Werebear, now? It takes many swings to achieve the final blow against a class built at 75% block before you can even come close to winning a duel (without luck involved). What about if we are surrounded in PVM? Having a zeal-like attack speed made it much easier to approach certain groups of monsters in which Human Form attack speed alone would not allow survivability.

When you say that the attack speed calculation was a poor player experience for those not in the know, what exactly do you mean by that? This game has been out for over twenty years; if you are not in the know by now as to game mechanics, you never will be, even if the game servers stayed up until you were an elderly person. When it comes to the new player experience, there’s so much content out there to read regarding all of this; that’s part of the player’s experience in this game as well as in any game, the in-depth creation and the amount of unique abilities available make the replay valuable indefinitely. Now that venue of creativity is being heavily narrowed down by administrative “developers” who have no interest in playing this game themselves, and who are standing on the creative shoulders of a team long before them to make changes that they don’t understand the impact of.

In addition to the IAS changes, the other disappointing change that I have seen is the reduction in Fire Claws synergies; I’m sure that not just myself, but many others use those synergies as a Fire Claws druid to help in situations that they might need a ranged ability in, and now those choices are incredibly limited. I understand the gain of extra skill points to use with the lack of synergies, but that’s really the only gain that I see, and it is averaged down by the choice of synergies themselves; Molten Boulder’s new state still doesn’t feel useful, and the damage still feels very low for such a minor speed increase. If Molten Boulder casted much faster than the current projected changes, sure I can see that being a viable missile class in some form, but I don’t seeing it being as successful without more speed. Now for the other synergy, Firestorm: I feel that Fissure and Volcano would have been much better synergy choices since they are much more widely used by people who currently use Fire Skills on Druids. Fissure is so useful that I’m still planning on using my extra points gained from the “synergy reduction” in the changes here in order to keep the same build that I normally run.

So why are these drastic changes being made instead of the obvious fixes that are needed? One example would be Assassins’ Kicks being unblockable, but maybe that’s a redundant question because in the back of my mind I tell myself that I know why and that I’ve always known why; as mentioned before, it’s because those responsible for development don’t actually play or understand this game, themselves.

Another reason for these odd mistakes that we continue to see in the game’s remastering, but that never get repaired is because those responsible for these developmental choices of the game in its current state are just fulfilling a job. On paper, a lot of the changes we are seeing in the coming patch can make a lot of sense to someone who has not actually played this game before; if you were looking to please your boss, wouldn’t you want to make it look as if you were over-performing on paper? There is no heart or soul in these choices, in fact they are robbing that heart and soul from the game that has already existed and brought joy to many players for these past two decades.

I ask myself often why I still play this game, especially considering that the original Blizzard North will never be attached to it again; for the first time in my own two decades of time and energy poured into this game, my favorite hobby, I wonder how long I will continue to play for since I won’t be able to experience my favorite character build in the same fashion it’s always been as these changes are made current. I think that I’ll at least dabble a bit until Microsoft takes over; they couldn’t do worse than Activision/Blizzard.

35 Likes

Well said, and I along with many others share your experience as long time druid players. Disheartened to say the least with these intended changes - they just miss the mark so widely it’s hard to believe.

5 Likes

I bought this game because I’m an old school shapeshifter player and they literally said they won’t do anything to change the core mechanics of game. This change is so massive that it makes the game unplayable to shapeshifter fans. May just get a refund and go back to playing LoD.

12 Likes

Blizz doesn’t like how you’ve been playing the game for the past decade or more. Play it their way because they know what’s best for you lol.

3 Likes

I want to put this video in here that was linked in another thread showing… wirt’s leg = 4 shael griswald = grief = beast Z etc, “yay all weapons are equal, and all weapons are bad!”

2 4 PTR Fury Druid attack speed testing - YouTube

posting this video for visibility

4 Likes

This comment and the original post are really well said. Our numbers may be small, but I have a lot of friends who are primarily werewolf players and they all said they are done until something is done about this. They are no longer playing the PTR or live D2R until this is addressed.

I have no idea how such a terribly drastic change was allowed to move forward, even in just a temporary PTR. Did developers test this before implementing it? Were they okay with these new attack speeds? It is hard to say.

I can only hope that these changes are not only reverted, but that shapeshifting classes get the IAS buff (read: not nerf) they deserve. Werewolf druids have been notoriously labeled as the underperforming melee class for 20 years. I can’t see the reason or the sense to nerf them even further to the point of unviability in both PVM and PVP scenarios.

I’ve been playing werewolf druids (and have been talking to others who play the same build) for 20+ years. Time and time again, we have pleaded with Blizzard to get some assistance with IAS to make us competitive with other melee builds. This change is so odd, so drastic, and so negative that I’m questioning how familiar the developers really are with this game’s IAS mechanics. The statement today was also borderline offensive - in essence, “you guys have not figured out how best to take advantage of these awesome changes. Go pick a different weapon and come back to us.” Sir, wolf druid players have been exploring and optimizing different weapon choices for 20 years. These changes are not incentivizing to go and further explore different weapon choices when now every weapon provides the same attack speed, but just far slower than it’s ever been.

There’s nothing more to say. This is hugely disappointing. I was waiting for a remastered version of this game only for my favorite class to be dismantled within months of release for reasons that I don’t know or am unaware of. If Blizzard feels they should phase out shapeshifting builds, maybe just say so and tell us what you are replacing them with.

10 Likes

They will not refund u i tried

Very sad if this all goes thru.

It’s certainly not what people expected when they signed up by buying the game. A Recreation of a classic games mechanics with new polished graphics? Yeah okay.

It’s a buff for Thunder Maul right? Previously fury druids didn’t use this unique because it only has +20%IAS. Now it looks decent (apparently the same speed as Shael’ed IK maul).

It is not, it is slower than before, however is it now equally as slow as any other weapon in the game, they are all capped at 10 FPA or more now depending on weapon type

1 Like

I watched the video, 1:00 timestamp. It is much faster than 10FPA. I play fury druid in non-ladder with a 5/5/5/5/9 setting (e.g. IK maul), and it looks very close, if not the same, in speed. I’ll say it’s at most 6FPA.

Only if the developers compensate druids with a massive buff to offset the massive IAS nerf. Then it’s a good change.

RIP ripcracker, you will be missed.

2 Likes

no it isn’t even then Fury Druid PVP is still ruined. THe only way for Fury Druid to have a chance now is by using a 5 range polearm, attempting to hit the target into stun lock before the opponent do.

With slower speed that is almost impossible, not to mention they also make change to the stun lock mechanic which it is impossible now.

Fury druid already don’t have teleport, nor run speed buff, bad FBR, and minimum defense , and now it is totally unplayable, in either PVM or PVP end.

this is pretty horrible for were-druid players.

Im not even a were-druid player and I think this is just a bad choice.
Yes attack speeds are quirky in wereform - that is not a bad thing!

players give up a lot to be in were-form, they gain a quirky advantage of attack speeds while in it, all classes that shift do this, weredruids, werebarbs, weresorcs, weresins… these are all builds that players have made over the years because of the quirky ias, not in spite of it.

yes it is not intuitive to new players, yes there is no instruction manual that tells newbies that wereform uses ias from weapon only, but using that as a reason to justify nerfing one of the coolest aspects of endgame were-builds?
horrible design choice. I would be very upset if I was a druid main. upsetting to me even though I don’t play the class myself.

d2 is awesome because of all the quirks and all the ways skills work differently. that gives endgame builds a lot of flavor.

I quite frankly have never seen a bigger nerf in any game I have ever heard of.

Looks like a nerf, smells like a nerf, plays like a nerf, but Blizz says it’s a “buff”. How do you argue with someone that thinks they buffed you lol.

5 Likes

Well…the IAS frame rate change :stuck_out_tongue:

It seems they are saying it is a buff for bad weapons, and an overall nerf for every single end game weapon, so overall a huge nerf outside of normal.

you can “unify the attack speed calculations” all your freaking want
unless a bunch of new weapons can hit 5 frame fury, no wolf druid will ever support this
hell we should be hitting 4 frames with more weapons… this can never see the light of day.

2 Likes