Mosaic needs to go

I want to start by saying I’ve never played an assassin character. So I didn’t know much about a pre-mosaic assassin.

But I just watched a build guide from a year ago. The original character looks like fun!
Understanding the original assassin now, how was this item ever given a green light!?

As a necromancer player, this would be like a wand that removes the cap on how many skeletons I can raise. Or being able to stack as many poison novas as my cast rate will allow.
Utter insanity. I would not be okay with uncapped abilities even on my own main class.

How does the assassin community feel about this RW?

3 Likes

I played the last 5 ladder(even before resurrected) assasin as start char.
In season 2, I really enjoyed to play her with the blade traps and that was like god mode.
Now the Mosaik build is completely crazy.
For me, it has destroyed the game.
Especially, the long term motivation. Wearing no special gear and kill everything with 1 hit.
So, why should I farm to get stronger? Make no sens. So I stopped playing this laddder after a few hours (found a jah rube really early in hell) until I could build those stupid claws.
They should remove them and rebuild (again) the martial arts skills.

2 Likes

I really appreciate your replies here everyone.
They totally nuked any sense of resource management.
Tastysoup, I saw your response before it was deleted. Very well thought out, lots of detail and possible solutions you’d like to see. It’s a shame it was deleted.

Hoping more people chime in! :). Just looking to take the temperature of assassin mains.

1 Like

I agree. This is stupid and removes the fun and skill of playing Assassin, which is one of her biggest draws! (for me it IS the biggest reason I enjoy her ever since I started in 1.08)

Breaking a class/build is NOT a good way to buff them… making an item near mandatory is an awful way to build an item also.

Really wondering what you guys were thinking…

There are FAR better ways to balance MA builds, and Asn in general, and create more build diversity.

2 Likes

quit whining, the build has made martial arts sin playable.

buff mosiac.

1 Like

It’s not whining. It’s called constructive criticism, and just about every product imaginable becomes better as a result of it.

5 Likes

Build is fine. I use to not even be able to get rid of assassin torches. Now they fly off the shelf.

1 Like

It appears that you’re gauging the build on your ability to sell torches for that character.
It was never designed to have infinite charges. The entire concept is broken.

Using this rule book, the Paladin should be able to have all auras active at once, the necromancer should be able to raise 200+ skeletons, and stack poison novas as fast as he can cast, and the sorceress should be able to rain down 50 blizzards in one spot, remove the cooldowns.

Ontop of it all, the mosaic assassin accesses every element, and even does physical damage to proc lifeleeching.

And at the very end of this argument, one mosaic assassin looks like 8 players spamming abilities. Imagine what a couple of these in the same game does to a graphic card. This doesn’t belong in d2.

4 Likes

Says you. More auras, autocast curses, bone prisons that engulf the entire screen, pets with hurricane, sorcs with bows, bone multispear, whirlwindgeddon, fury furry hydra.

1 Like

More auras — huh?

Auto cast curses — what? You mean like reapers toll? Only one curse can be active anyways, no matter if they can be autocast. they don’t stack.

Bone prisons that engulf the entire screen — zero benefit to ever do this unless you’re an under-levelled character who needs a lot of time to kill enemies.

Pets with hurricane — huh? Don’t know how it’s possible for Druid summons to have their own hurricane spell.

Sorcs with bows — I don’t know anything about this.

Bone multi spear — ?? The brand runeword?

Sorry I don’t know what anything else you said is referring to. This thread is about how mosaic breaks the concept of MA assassin, and the reward of proper resource management.

1 Like

I totally agree with you, and I’ve been a Phoenix Strike Asn player since 1.08!!!

I’ve been maining MA Assassins the whole time, and no one hardly ever played them.

You have nailed it. It is just TOO much of good things. And yes, the screen pollution is very real, and ridiculous. It looks, and sounds like a hacked ability that shouldn’t exist.

It also appears to drastically lower the very core of MA playstyle (how is that a GOOD thing?) by not needing to go back and forth in charge building and finishing.

2 Likes

I kinda disagree with you, MA wasn’t playable for over 20 years years, now its getting to the point to be fun.

Comparing NEC’s summon/range skill with Assassin’s melee skill doesn’t make sense at all. I played all chars over the years, had to say NEC’s skills are OP as whole.
Summon NEC has almost no gear requirement to lvl, does not even need to stack high resistance if you play carefully. To to fair, NEC has a few of the most OP skill in the game: ex: CE (corpse explosion, assassin as it too, but range/damage isn’t comparable, and the skill is deep in another skill tree), Skeletons and all kinds of curses…

Game play of Summon NEC can be summarized to three steps:

1. Kill + Summon stuff
  2. Go around
  3. Curse (optional)

MA Assassin does not have a lot of the benefits NEC, MAGE…etc had,

1. it’s a melee build, it requires high RES to survive, high attack rate to able to hit stuff, attack speed, skill lvl…Gear requirement is way higher NEC (and some other chars)
  2. Takes time to charge, meanwhile, other strong builds might already clear the map.
  3. Charge only last 15 second (very annoying), not fun while farming!
  4. etc…

A NEC player whining about mosaic being OP is kinda sad. Like a rich kid whining about the poor kid got an extra bag of candy.

After all, mosaic is not mandatory, if you want to enjoy the pre-mosaic experience. You can alway try to play MA assassin without it, I am sure you would know how “fun” it can be.

1 Like

So we actually seem to agree with each other: The MA assassin needed help to begin with. But my point was that you don’t fix it by adding a runeword which completely abandons the intended play style.
You -fix the skills- themselves, otherwise you’re just locking people into one Item, and the build is still junk without it.

If the damage was bad, you increase the damage. You don’t allow the ability to fire off 12 times per second, exploding the screen and dropping everyone’s framerate to 15fps
^ this is a modern blizzard fix.
We need a blizzard North fix.

And on the necromancer being OP:
I would actually love it if corpse explosion was nerfed. That single skill, as it is, carries almost every necromancer build. You almost can’t run the character without it.
Without corpse explosion, they would actually need to address problems with necromancer skills. And there are a lot, I won’t get into them here. But the class is stamped as “fine” because of that one skill.
I’m all for the necromancer being less dependant on it.

The only skill that doesn’t desperately rely on corpse explosion for help is poison nova. - but ONLY once you obtain the rarest item in the game next to tyraels might.

2 Likes

People just defending Mosaic by saying Asn MA is good now, blah blah blah. No one said they aren’t. You guys aren’t addressing the issues brought up, and the issues at hand.

Making arguments about class strengths etcetera, is NOT the point!

The point is HOW the strength in MA has been achieved… and it’s a poor method…

Respond to the arguments posted originally, not with reasons unrelated as to why you’re defending Mosaic.

Screen pollution, over simplification of MA mechanics, overavailability of tri elements + phys dmg. Then there’s over reliance of a class/spec on 1 specific piece of gear in order to be viable/strong (not a good thing).

From what I’ve seen in the posts, and in my own opinion, these are the issues…

8 Likes

Perfectly stated. Thank you :+1:

3 Likes

Well said and completely agree with all of this. I actually enjoyed playing MA pre mosaic and was hyped that the build got some help despite disliking mosaic itself.

After playing MA this ladder using mosaic it sucks. The play style is boring and has completely changed what an MA sin is and not for the better.

I’d like it gone as well and then have the devs do a proper job of improving the MA tree but we all know that it wont happen.

3 Likes

I like it alot, but they do need to tone down the graphics on some skills.

2 Likes

My current idea is to make it 33% chance to keep charges. With 2 claws it would be 66%, which is a 2 out of 3 chance.

I think this wouldn’t downgrade it too much, and would still be a meaningful gameplay change, and power increase that should satisfy everyone.

If I think of a better idea, I’ll post it also.

Remember Blizzard, improving a character, by nearly nullifying their class identity mechanics really removes the point, doesn’t it.

2 Likes

Right on the money. The class identity has been utterly bastardized.
I would even settle for 66% with dual mosaics. That would still demand some measure of resource management.

1 Like

The class identity was trapper or you didn’t play it.

You’re sounding hella old man yelling at the sky right now.