Melee chars to weak (grief)

It’s a close range spell disguised as melee :wink:

So what about Impale Zons? Also not melee?

Imitation smite with a drawback.

Okay… but is it melee?

It’s in melee range. Loosely speaking it is melee, but like smite it bypasses the limitation of most other melee skills. Unlike smite it was given a huge attack speed penalty preventing to from being broken.

It’s in a similar vein as charged strike, you need to be in melee range to use the skill, but the rules that apply to all other melee skills don’t apply to it. So do you consider charged strike melee?

If you need to be in melee range to use it, and swing a weapon then yes it’s melee.

Never said it wasn’t, it’s just broken. CS isn’t melee though, it’s a closed range spell. It kills with charged bolts not the hit itself. It’s a little more nuanced than what you’re saying.

Well imagine You are wielding a poleaxe or spear on the battlefield. Then You start spining but instead of hiting every enemy within your 1.5 or 2 meters long weapon … You individually hit em , Even when they are all clumoed up… that is ridículous

Ww should be a proper aOE (still subject to Ar and melee mechanics ) , that way Ppl would use 2 handed weps due to a wider Range.

Just as hurricane , a moving melee aoe

(in before “ww just Got fixed” . Ww got nerfed , NOT buffed , 2h ww got killed)

hell, why not introduce a new skill for like Barbarians to CLEAVE. Adding a small aoe in front… that’s just an example for one melee char.

I mean to be fair, if I’m imagining a battlefield I kinda of just see this spinning idiot doing much of nothing, and getting stopped every time he tries to spin.

Kind of like a real WW barb. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never been a fan of the concept of WW honestly. I just imagine barbs as kind of the Looney Toons knock off of the Diablo universe.

“Look at me Dad, I’m like the Tazmanian Devil! Am I cool now?”
“No son. No you are not. Now go help your mother.”

Don’t think there would be anything wrong with having multitarget skills.
But their is a difference between hitting 1/2/3 targets near to each other with a certain skill or simple hitting everything in an area all the time.
Especially Bash could use a bit of its own flavour.

True, because realistically you would hit the first person and then you would either stop spinning, let go of your weapon or launch the target across the battlefield, weapons don’t pass through enemies without instantly killing them.
So if you want realism, WW is not realistic at all, so someone spinning in circles striking people frantically while having his bladed or clublike weapon bouncing back towards him (or her) each time a hit is scored before pushing it back out and thus hitting people individually, would be the closest even remote realistic version.
This also means that WW with a spear would be impossible and hitting the person behind the one you just struck would be more likely after making another full round spin and realigning your weapon.
However even that way it would remain an unrealistic fighting style.

As for fantasy, if its a proper AoE, you would to balance it as such and also have it’s drawback.
It would damage X damage to each creature in an certain Area, making this good against groups but useless against single targets, your no longer focusing all those attacks on one opponent, only 1 AoE per X frames and if that would be good on single target it would be OP against groups.
You would basically make it an anti-cow skill, but need a different attack vs Uberdiablo for example.

Melee should be stronger but its balanced for now. What I mean is PvP is end game ultimately, you can resist elemental damage up to 95% but 50% physical. If melee damage is raised the we need a rebalance. .09 had 75% dr and this could be the next step. A few underused builds can now out damage a grief smiter pvp. Thats saying alot right there, the power creep is already happening and before too long we will all be one hitting eachother PvP because of excesive damage. Im all for making more builds viable, but some mechanics should be left alone.

Grief is one of the most overrated things in the game.
There are plenty of options, but since it is relatively cheap every dog and it’s bone thinks it’s the only thing around.
High crushing blow makes Grief look like a joke.
I made one once just to see, and I sold it within an hour of testing it.

Drawbacks …like blizzard right … right ? Ww already would have drawbscks : miss chance due to AR/defense , block chance , no potions por actions during ww … Range . Not being a proper aOE is just lazy . If D3 did something right . It was aOE ww.

You can just make it like a melee hurricane , súper easy .

Btw : look up how would irl sweihander soldiers. Would fair up vs múltiple enemmies or pike formations … circular slashes, yes …hitting múltiple enemmies.

Even in D3 the power of the WW came from the little mini-tornadoes that spun off him. I can’t remember if that was WW spell or sprint that caused those. But they were necessary to do any damage at all for a long time.

Yes ww created the Lil tornados . Even if You make ww a max 4f aOE it still wouldnot Even touch the top tier caster builds.

Ww aOE would be a Nice took OR :
-make leap attack aOE on landing scale from weapon damage .

• merge bash and stun (NO 1 uses those ) into cleave : req 2 handed wep . Striked enemmies un front of the barbarian .

Giving aOE tools to melee and FIXING AR /defense /block /PR is the right way to level things a bit compared to casters … orthey would have to do the obvious thing : NERF CAsters.

Using a Zweihander (or in english a Greatsword) to defend against spearmen does not even remotely look like whirlwind, the moment they would need to turn their back on a spearmen they’d be dead (atleast if not wearing sufficient armor).
And besides that motion is not to hit people, it’s to parry jabs, it’s defensive in nature.
But even if it would hit multiple enemies, it would not be an AoE, it would be hitting one after the other…like WW does.
And unless the enemy is not wearring armor and you make many superficial cuts (which don’t do much against armor and be useless) this might actually cause your own demise, because say hitting someone on say the shoulder is very likely going to stop your swirl and make it easier for a second person to find an opening.
You’d rather hit a spearmans hand for example, severing a digit will likely disable that enemy and should not hurt your own defense.
If you want realism then you should consider that blades don’t simply pass through bodies.
Now WW is a real fantasy skill, so that’s fine, but you try and defend AoE on realistic grounds when that’s actually further from reality than how it works now.

First because Blizzard fails doing 1 thing right is not a reason to compensate with a 2th mistake (yes true quite often Blizz fixes are, break it some more maybe it fix it and if not you always have next patch).
But the drawback is simple logic, say normal foes need 100 damage and bosses 2000.
20 enemies or 1 boss.
WW with 12,5 aps with 50 damage per hit will dispatch either in 3.2 seconds (if everything hits, no crit etc pure for comparison sake) with 625 dps in both cases.
WW as an AoE effect would have have an issue here, dealing 50 damage per second would kill everything within reach in 2 seconds if its normal monsters, but bosses would take 40 seconds.
To kill bosses in a decent tempo it would need so much more damage and be heavily OP against normal monsters.

Was those little tornados from WW indeed, those were they focus of the WW set, that’s why it was more a movement skill with windmagic for damage than real melee.
But then again that was pretty defining for D3 for a long time and still mostly is, the melee classes were more magical classes with different animations.

1 Like

I think a rare high ed LoLo weapon would by better than grief

I know right, i just let him talk and let him expose his ideas :joy:

Lol, cleaving isnt melee he says.