Martial Arts Assassins Still Need a Little More

the base damage still scales off boots. IIRC to get the most single target damage, you’d need to use Dragon Claw.

IDK what you mean by double dips, it takes the physical damage after tiger strike and converts it to fire. Or is that what you mean? it takes the tiger strike damage on the boots, and multiplies it with the dragon tail % conversion. Makes sense I guess. I’ll take your word for it.

I don’t remember % damage or +min/max scaling from items working with it.

I do remember being able to reach absurd amounts of damage with dragon claw though. OFC you’d want something like an ethereal cruel claw of evisceration or something of the sort. ethereal magic/rares are going to have the most possible damage on them anyways. And of course, all damage from items work with it.

shrug, maybe you know better.

yeah, but fortitude, phoenix, fanaticism, might, etc still apply… then you use amp from lacerator, then you have a mercenary with infinity, and you stack fire dmg%. and lets not forget dragon tail can get up to a 6x multiplier, which is multiplicative of your total kick damage.

it doesnt just take your damage. it takes your applied damage. if the monster has -100 physical res, it will take double your damage. then it applies that as fire damage. if the monster has -100 fire res, you are quadrupling your damage.

maybe you’re right though, i don’t know how much damage dragon claw can do in one (two) swing. charged strike was considered the highest single target damage skill for a long time, and its easier (cheaper) to get to that high of damage. but dtail beats it by a decent amount.

you mean boot damage, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

I was under the impression that fort and phoenix did not apply, but fanat and might did.

fortitude and phoenix do apply. all offhand dmg% (cept dtu/dtd) apply, same as smite. here’s what doesn’t apply:
Weapon’s Enhanced Damage
+Minimum Damage
+Maximum Damage
Damage +
+% Damage to Demons
+% Damage to Undead
Claw Mastery
Critical Strike
Deadly Strike

on the wiki it says:
Properties that do not work with kicks:

• Deadly/Critical Strike
  • Enhanced Damage from equipment (if it works it doesn’t display on character screen)
  • +% Damage to Demons/Undead
    • Min / Max damage (so no 3/20/20 charms for kickers)
  • Claw Mastery bonuses (Boots are not Claws!)
  • Melee mods such as IAS, Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, prevent monster heal, life leech, etc. are not applied from the secondary claw (in a Dual-Claw setup).

enhanced damage means fort and phoenix.

also I see no reason why enhanced damage% on secondary claw would work. that doesn’t make any sense, because the enhanced damage goes to the claw, and claws are not boots.

just like how enhanced damage on secondary weapons do not apply to the primary weapon.

it works, it doesn’t display on character screen.
ed% from your second claw wouldnt work. ed% from your first claw wouldnt either. ed% from your shield would though.

on an unrelated note, dragon tail is bugged, go upvote the issue so its fixed: Dragon Tail Attack Speed Issue

1 Like

i guess i’ll take your word for it :stuck_out_tongue:

One of my forever iso claws is a magic jewelers runic talon of quickness.

I would love to see mosaic stacking up to 100%. That would make for a fun build

1 Like

i think so too, and i think other QoL buffs and change some nhd’s as well and it would be fun to play

May I add another QoL option?

Remove charges consumption, make them expire faster.

I know it sounds insane at first, but think about it. With the 2.4 changes they are already moving the martial artist from burst to constant damage. Making the finishers not expire any charges would make the gameplay pattern very fluid: get charges, spam finishers for X seconds, refresh charges.

Obviously Dragon Talon should probably be changed to proc only once every cast, but w/e.

it wouldn’t be a terrible change, but i think your idea is counterintuitive to the current design issue of martial arts assassin, spending more time charging than consuming.

however, remove charge consumption is the functional idea of mosaic, and getting up to 100% would be wonderful. but even that alone makes this awkward to play, as even with that you will STILL spend a significant amount of time charging.

do note that utilizing only 1 charge up skill won’t do much for you, each individual charge-up skill is weak compared to a standard caster or melee build. the design idea is to maintain 6-9 charges (2-3 stacks) to compensate, since they can stack together. maintaining 3 charges at 100% with 0 other modifications to MA skills is not bad, but its sitll underpowered. it just wouldnt feel bad to play anymore. maintaining 6+ charges at 100% with 0 other modifications would be very hard though. and thats what i think is healthier for MA sins. now, having to maintain more than 1 stack greatly increases the work, which is also counterintuitive to MA sin’s current playstyle issue. but the anti-expiration QoL fixes greatly help that.

Well, I guess both our ideas are like: build up the charges (3-6-9 whatever), kill pack, run to next pack, refresh charges, kill pack, repeat.

The different is that with a shorter time and no consumption you would need to be faster between packs, which I agree it sucks when you are getting loot.

On the other hand with no expiration, but consumption, chances are that you are going to have to rebuild/refresh charges in the same battle, which can be annoying and a dps killer.

i think 100% but current expiration timer (or maybe slightly shorter) but activating a charge (regardless if its consumed) either refreshing the stack expiration timer or adding duration to it would work well. and instead of expiring the whole stack, lose only one at a time.

This… is actually kind of a neat idea. And Mosaic could just extend that expiration timer instead of its current effect. E.g. if finishers and normal attacks apply charge-up effects, don’t consume charges, and charge-up effects expire after 10 seconds, Mosaic could add 2.5 seconds to that.

But yeah, Dragon Talon kind of messes it up. It just ends up functioning too similarly to Dragon Claw, except obviously faster. So if you did tune it down (e.g. only applies charge effects every 3 kicks), there would just always end up being some point where one or the other is the better finisher because they would do the same basic thing (multiple attacks while standing in place).

edit: This is my whiteboard idea for how I would do this:

• Charge effects apply for a fixed duration of 8 seconds. The effects are cumulative, so if you have 3 charges of Phoenix Strike, all your attacks and finishers unleash all three effects for the remaining duration.
    • It’s possible 8 isn’t the right number (e.g. maybe 6 is more appropriate), but that’s where I would start.
  • Dragon Talon, however, consumes 1 charge at random per kick from any charges you have accumulated. So if you have three Tiger Strike charges and 1 Fists of Fire charge, 1 of those 4 charges is randomly expended on the first kick, 1 of the 3 remaining for the second kick, and so on. Combined with the fixed duration for charges imposing a limit on how much you can charge up, I’d probably start here for testing.
  • Mosaic’s special property is replaced with “Charges from charge-up skills last 2 seconds longer”
  • Rework Next Hit Delay. I’ve gone into this in other posts how this should work to do what it exists to do (prevent skills like Nova from dealing absurd damage) without causing all the collateral damage (one player dealing 0 damage because their target is under NHD from another player’s skill).

i think dtalon is fine as is. right now spam kicking the charges doesn’t do anything insane. if you are elemental, youre currently limited by nextdelay and the damage is not that great. if you are physical, then its single target, whatever. if you use the vampire one, you need to do good physical damage, so youre likely still physical. additionally, to have 100% you need to dual wield mosaic which has no defensive stats, so vampire is a good cover for that. theres lots of gear variations and trade offs, and its hard for an elemental build to stack enough damage to benefit from the vampire or tiger charges. blades of ice 3 doesnt do damage, and if you have blades of ice 2 + phoenix strike 3, and youre spamming them 6 times at 2 frame intervals, it really isnt that notable. phoenix strike bolts have a nextdelay of 4, so every other kick is largely redundant.

dragon claw is still fine as it is. its slower than dragon talon but its the only finisher move that benefits from crit and claw mastery. you can stack good physical damage with this one that you cant do so much with dragon talon. and it compliments the sequence chargeups well (if you’re not at 100%) because the sequence chargeups will always gain 2 charges per animation and dragon claw releases two.

dragon flight is just mobility, and dragon tail is its own high damage small aoe build that applies 0 physical damage, so it cant use vampire and cant spam the elemental chargeups all that well. additionally, dragon tail is a physical build in terms of gear, so it doesn’t synergize well with the elemental chargeups anyway.

it does not. The first attack that lands is the only one that releases charges.

I think you may have missed the context that I was talking about the skills assuming the idea gbasso had suggested.

i see. you were talking about the idea that charges do not expire? It’s similar to how it works in PoD.

no, it definitely releases two, im testing it right now. i got 2 phoenix strike charges, dclawed once, shot chaos lightning and the meteor and lost both my charges