It's people trying to run dupe programs

That isn’t called “packet injection”. You seem to have no clue what “application layer” means. You don’t need a botnet to crash a buggy server.

Like I already stated, DDOS is what it’s called when you need to crash a server.

You haven’t given me one example of your one command to crash a server yet. I think everyone knows what the application layer is since you need to know the OSI model before you can even pass your CompTIA security+. :joy: Can you at least give me the name category of the attack you are even talking about?

“Application layer DDoS attacks target the application layer of the Internet in order to disrupt the normal flow of traffic to a website or service.” -Cloudflare

Anyone defending d2jsp is most likely using the it. A forum which enables people to sell Diablo 2 items for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. THIS is why the servers are crashing. LOSERS are crashing them on purpose for item duping. The same problem was present in Diablo 2 LOD. The way it was effectively stopped was to assign a unique item id to every item, and through wave after wave of duplicate item deletion.

1 Like

Their intention isn’t crashing the server so I wouldn’t call it DDOS. They are experimenting with application layer messages to find exploitable bugs in the server. That sometimes crashes.

A few hackers experimenting is unlikely to bring down a large cluster (because that isn’t even their goal) but makes it easier for Blizzard to detect issues who may intentionally shut down to sort out duping related issues as I mentioned in my original post.

IMO putting a network security spin on this issue is unnecessary.

1 Like

Then what type of an attack is this called? I will give you an example of an attack that manipulates database queries, an SQL injection.

Duping can definitely crash games but I never heard of it crashing servers. That would be risky anyway because then Blizz would know exactly what you’re doing.

I think the obvious explanation is that they’re still ironing out the kinds of running legacy D2 on the modern Bnet. And actually they’re doing a much better job with it than whoever did WC3 Remaster…

You still insist that it’s DDoS? Call it whatever you want but it definitely isn’t DoS because “Denial of Service” isn’t a goal. It probably isn’t even “distributed” to be DDoS.

So you believe that an application layer attack that isn’t being used as a DDoS would inadvertently crash Blizzard’s services, even though the attack being used didn’t even have the code or other requirements like a botnet to pull it off. You truly believe a triple A multi-billon dollar corporation, with one of the biggest MMO’s for the last 15+ years, couldn’t possibly have enough cybersecurity to thwart a non-direct DDoS attack to crash their game servers which would need enough harnessing data power to pull it off? Nah, I think that’s not it.

If they are using the same old netcode; it probably wouldn’t be that hard to crash the server, but who really knows, it’s not like we have a Blue post in here. :frowning:

1 Like

This reminds me of my grandma when she was ranting about widespread election fraud.

EDIT: She’s 90 btw… :neutral_face:

The services were probably down due to a completely unrelated technical issue because we are talking about a game released less than a month ago. If Blizzard detected hacking attempts (like duping) then intentionally shutting down the servers for maintenance/bugfixing can be reasonable depending on how seriously Blizz take those issues.

As I mentioned, IMO the server outages were not caused by DDoS. A hacking attempt may crash a single server but that doesn’t take down the whole cluster/service because that isn’t even the goal of the hackers. I’m not the one claiming this to be a DDoS attack, it’s you.

So you believe Blizzard intentionally took the servers down multiple times and rolled them back due to attacks?

I don’t “believe” but it’s possible. IMO other unrelated technical issues are more likely because this is a very new game.

When I first read your posts on this thread, you came off as someone who believed that Blizzard’s server crash was inadvertently the effects of item duping (which is the premise of this OP). So you were actually just trying to speculate a bunch of different scenarios. It seemed like you were trying to convince me otherwise lol. My apologies if that was your true intentions.

1 Like

Following your logic then why arent more triple a games infested with hackers? You heard of hackers on WoW? Because i never did and its the same company. Indie games are full of hackers because they mainly have no power to deal with them.

Some games have more bugs than others. The number of bugs depends on a lot of factors:

• The experience of the developers (did they work on a similar project before?)
  • The time those developers got to implement different parts of the game
  • How many times did the game designers change their mind during development? (This reduces the time available to the implementation of individual features.)

Part of it is luck but time and money can make you luckier. WoW is a subscription based cash cow. It probably receives more funds for ongoing development than a game with a “one time purchase” model so it has a huge advantage over something like D2R. A game like D2R may receive 1-2 bugfixes and minor QoL improvements before the developers abandon it. Will the devs have time to fix all bugs that make cheating possible? No if the “bosses” move them to other more profitable projects (games with various types of subscriptions that include battle passes).

This is the mechanic that ALLOWS duping to happen…

Actually, WoW was full of botters for a long time…That’s the entire reason they changed how gathering professions work. There’s also a lot of account theft etc. The idea that WoW has any shortage of cheaters is nothing less than a bad joke.

In fact, almost every on-line game in existance is full of cheaters.

The reality of game development is that it’s almost impossible to implement any system that can effectively remove cheating from a game without it severely detrimentally impacting the game’s playability and screwing over legitimate players as a result.

1 Like