Items disappearing

I was just playing with my Amazon when I died.
When starting a new game to retrieve the items, SURPRISE!!!
my monarch spirit is GONE!!!

More than 6 years playing classic D2 and NEVER happened or seen something like this happen before

Are you going to return the missing item?

I never thought I would be so angry playing D2,
2h in line (TWO HOURS), to play 15 min to die and lose an item that for me was very expensive and painful to get

2 Likes

Then you got very lucky. Death in D2, and D2R is the same. If you pick something up on the way to your body, then game returns the corpse with the highest gold value. It can be a crappy white staff, but those sell well.

Here is the original D2 website death explanation. The Arreat Summit - Basics: Character Information

Multiple Corpses/Losing Items!
A player may have up to 16 corpses.

Realm Characters: The corpse with the most gold value (in items) will be saved between games. So keep this in mind when putting on equipment to recover your corpse. Your original body with your equipment should save unless you manage to equip yourself with a greater value of equipment, die, then leave the game.

Open Characters: Only your oldest corpse is saved between games. Make sure you go back and recover your original body with your equipment before leaving the game.

Warning on recovering your corpse
If you needed +Strength or +Dexterity items to equip other weapons or pieces of armor, you may have to re-equip these items manually. When you click on your corpse, the game attempts to re-equip your items to where they were before your death, but this depends largely on the order in which your items are picked up. For example, armor that requires more than your base Strength will not be equipped if the game attempts to place it before placing the item that increased your Strength enough to wear the armor. In this case, the armor will return to your inventory; if you do not have enough room, it will remain on the corpse. Check your inventory and make sure that all of your items have been re-equipped correctly.

Body Count
Having Difficulty recovering your corpse?
If you can’t find your corpse, or if it’s too dangerous to retrieve it with your current equipment, simply exit and re-enter the game. Your corpse, and all of its items, will appear near your starting point in town. The only drawback is that you will lose any gold your character dropped when he died and you will give up the chance to regain 75% of your lost experience on Nightmare and Hell Difficulty. This is a good option for Nightmare and Hell difficulties, in which death results in lost experience. The corpse will appear at your starting point, typically near the point where Town Portals appear in town: In Lut Gholein, this area is at the bottom right of town. In Kurast, it is next to Meshif. You should be able to find your corpse easily if you explore the town.

Character Saving/Loading and Corpses
Periodically, Battle.net will automatically save every character playing in every Diablo II game. Your character will also be saved when you choose “Save and Exit Game” from the ‘Esc’ menu. If you die and leave a game without retrieving your corpse, it will be placed in town at the beginning of the next game you join or start.

The only game they even have limited item restores for is WoW. D2, D2R, and D3 do not have any in-game support. They don’t have second by second logs showing what happens to your items so the GMs have no way to prove what you had and what happened to it.

They won’t just take our word for it that we lost an item and create one.

I made the post because this is another one of several bug’s
The item disappeared, I’ve been playing D2 for over 6 years and I know well how item recovery worked, so much so that I explained what I did.

All I know is that I totally lost the will to play, I won’t be wasting time, and then the items disappear.

Luckily I didn’t buy a copy of the game as a gift for my brother.

If the game had so many problems, why did they sell it?

Hmmm, could it of been a bugged item???

Its not a bug. You messed up when your char died. Be glad it was only a spirit monarch and not something much harder to replace.

I always recommend having the right str and not having items letting you wear things.

Also ya it’s a spirit not so bad to loose, not that it makes it better.

I played D2 for over 6 years, and only now that I learned that you can’t die, otherwise you lose items…

If you died and didn’t try to retreive the corpse in that game, but it was gone in the new game it does sound like a bug.
If you tried retreiving in the game itself and after failed attempts started a new game its probably the game mechanics.

Haven’t encountered this bug myself, but I know there are so many things going wrong that be honest it wouldn’t even be that surprising, had some items do some buggy crap myself (like not be able to drop it, sell it, put it in my personal stash, but when I put it in shared and went to another char I could finally sell the damn thing, dropped in solo game by mephi so no external factor).

Bruh I got an extra monarch u can have free. The runes too. You just gotta larzuk it. Reply to me if you want it.

So what, you got all of your gear back, except 1 peice?
unlikely…

I appreciate the offer, but I’m going to stop playing, I’m going back to the original D2 which is safer.

If I were dishonest I would say I would have lost top items, but that is not the case. I only reported it here because I don’t feel safe to spend my time playing and then lose something and that other people take care

1 Like

I’m saddened to hear you’ll stop playing.

The best finds in Diablo 2 are the friends you make, not the items that drop.

2 Likes

That’s exactly it, for being so absurd how I created this post.
I won’t waste my time playing anymore if I don’t have security.
It’s really unlikely…
I played D2 for 6 years and something like this NEVER happened

Well the fact that you are 1 in 10 million (estimate)… id say things are secure. Ive played for 20 and I have never heard of a death and all items are returned except 1.
Something doesnt add up here, items dont just disappear unless they rolled you back.
Are you sure you didnt have it selected and maybe dropped it during your death or something?

Yours too?!? That just happened to me! I had the strength requirements without additional gear on as well. So it doesn’t make sense. My spirit monarch literally vanished with no explanation.

U used the str bug? Since that would explain why u lost monarch only. Or equiped a shield before picking up corpse in the new game

No strength bug. It’s probably something to do with the constant client crashes players are experiencing and the server rollbacks or whatever is happening. I straight up lost a good shield for my sorceress and it’s kind of a shame. Didn’t even have the thing for a day.

A rollback doesnt seem likely. If he got the shield through trade its possible that the item got deleted though.

I made mine from scratch. Got a monarch, used the socket quest, put runes in it. Did a run. Carried an andy in normal to help a player. Went afk for a bit. Came back, started hell. Shield missing. Weird stuff. Should have recorded it but nobody watching D2R twitch streams or youtube videos lol

Havnt heard or seen any rollbacks lately. Did it happen recently? Cause if it was some weeks ago it would be likely. But he lost shield only and if it was rollback he wouldnt have been dead and needing to pick up corpse. In your case a rollback seem more likely. I lost runes which i got through trade. Even though there was no rollback