Is the game too easy now? Is there any sense of achievement left?

I remember thinking back before D2R was released that I would try to level up to 99 for the first time ever but then I had to skip the first ladder season due to school stuff and now I heard that terror zones grant you much bigger exp than before making the leveling much faster than before and also with sunder charm you can kill everything easier. Also the item drops are better in TZ.

I haven’t still played the 2.5 version so I would ask you: Do you think the sense of achievement is still there in terms of leveling and magic finding?
My biggest concern is that the game has just became too easy and leveling up and finding rare drops wont feel as big of an achievement as before.
I think there’s a real danger of getting bored in just one week.

10 Likes

Your question is basically why I quit and why I think TZ and those messed up charms are a curse instead of a blessing.
The game had already become to easy over the years imo and now they decide this is not going fast enough and just take a big leap.
There is no sense of achievement anymore imo.
They should have taken a step back instead of a leap forward to make the game more interesting.

6 Likes

Have you moved from SC or HC yet?

If not, you should find HC play very rewarding.

10 Likes

I think what has made D2 so addictive and replayable over the years is the grindyness and that its so difficult to get to 99 or find the best items.
When you get to a big level you know how much effort it takes or when you find that ber or jah rune and go “holy shít!” cus you know the drop chances of them.
If they take these away then what is left?

12 Likes

Well the focus has been shifted from the longevity of the XP grind and has switched to the race to 99.

So the point is to put your D2 knowledge and skill to the test and grind to 99 and see where you place among everyone each season.

I guess the finish line has just been moved closer to the start to ensure people actually finish the race. If it’s too long, you’ll just burn out and won’t even try to finish.

To answer your title question, no game is really not easier.

4 Likes

Depends on your playtime. If you can play 5+ hours per day and know what to do and trade, yeah you will be probably bored after 2 months of season. Just like you would be before 2.5. But sunder charms makes some not much played build better so you can try new stuff.

Terror zones are making leveling bearable as before it was just bad and badicly just crazy people went for lvl 99. Now terror zones make it little bit more managable.

If we speak about loot, terror zones basicly just change what can drop where, they dont anyhow increase number of loot you find. Or quality of it. Difference between drop in previous 85 zones and now terror zones is almost zero. Main change is that you have more options where to find stuff instead of boring 2 zones forever.

1 Like

D2 has always been an easy casual game with no challenges though? Even in Hardcore mode.

Tediousness != Difficulty.

8 Likes

Well that is what made it special for me at least.
I can clearly see it happen when I realise a certain build I planned and spend much time in was finished.
The first moment was feeling of achievement, the amount of which was directly related to the hardness of the journey, a day or two later I stopped playing the character and started a new project (often if it was a real hard journey I spend more time playing after I was done, but never months, 1 or 2 weeks max).
I think D2 is about the road, not the destination.
The real fun is travelling to the destination not reaching it, reducing the length of the road thus does not increase the fun, it decreases it.

Don’t think the game is beyond saving, even with the charms and the TZ, however do think this dev team can’t do that.
With the charms the game needs an overhaul to get that sense of achievement for taking down bosses or ubers.
With the TZ getting 99 is not an achievement either.
HC is a little better, but with Blizzard controlling the servers you likely end up dying due to server issues, not through a mistake.

Place is decided mostly by your wallet or the community behind you, furthermore many people can’t make the time to fully go for the ladder race due to other obligations.
When a race would take 3 months or more, the odds would be more equal, now you need to be able to spend 16 hours minimum each day for the week, can’t get that week off you cannot compete this ladder.

2 Likes

You must be kidding , d2 is one of the hardest games made. The amount of knowledge you need to have good equip and good char capable of finishing hell is quite high. It just doesnt feel like it as you play it for ages already.

Go check some new players and how they repeatedly struggle, because yeah, d2 is far from being easy game.

5 Likes

I know the guys that play very competitively will be light years ahead of the average player, but that’s in every competitive game out there.

I don’t expect to hit Challenger in League Of Legends, which would pretty much make someone an online celebrity. I don’t expect to hit Radiant in Valorant, and I don’t expect to get into the top 50 - 100 for D2.

But what I can expect in games like League Of Legends is that I’ll at least hit Gold - Diamond 5 range. In D2, I guess that would be somewhere in the top 1000 players.

You don’t really have to play with a pre-made party.

Season 2 will be different from Season 1. You will literally be able to find a Terror Zone at any time of the day just by simply searching “Terror” in the game list.

That means you can continuously expect to level up at all times of the day. I don’t see there being a massive gap. Whoever wants it will get there. It’s true those with more time will rank higher. But that’s the same for all games. If some dude plays League Of Legends all day, he’s going to be better than me at the game (most likely) because he’s grinding it out and gaining more experience. I don’t see there being a real excuse to not want to be a part of the ladder race. But if you have to work 9-5 and do family stuff, you are going to be behind in all games, which I understand is a reason a lot of people are not interested in the ladder race and prefer to stick with NL.

I guess I can agree that NL has been nerfed when it comes to the 99 grind, there is no point in leveling fast in NL. So I have no idea what the solution for that would be. :thinking:

You know what, I think they should increase the levels in NL to 110 and leave the ladder race at 99, how does that sound?

1. Don’t think you’ll be lvl99, decked out in BiS gear in 2 days because of TZs.

2. Sunder charms are endgame items, early game and a big part of end game dose not change.

3. There’s no achivement in a 20+year old game where you know every trick and nuance, in and out.

4. Drops will not be that much easyer to find still. And credit card warriors will still use JSP, to buy their way into endgame. So tell me witch is worse?

5. Sunder charms just open up the opportunity for any builds, to do the same thing Lightsorc and Hdin can allready do.

6 Likes

i dont think playing d2r is achievement or whatsoever… even tho if im lv99 nothing special to me honestly,
the fact if only im lv 99 ( pre patch TZ ), it mean i have nothing to do in life just playing d2r or play like bot?. and i gratefull not reach lv 99. now it has TZ that lift the grind, still i will not reach lv 99 anytime soon.

1 Like

no.TZ monsters levels become higher, thus ilvl-qlvl bigger. as a result, basic items more likely to drop as unique\set\magic ones.

It doesnt work like that.
If we talk uniques and sets, there is only one difference vs area85 zones, since regular mobs can have lvl 86 and 87, they can drop like 5? Ithem they could not drop before. Not significant at all as normal mobs drop unique or set far less than unique mobs. And superuniques who were locked in lower TC can drop from TC as normal uniq mobs. But i dont think this is even confirmed.

the quality chance has a parameter like this:
C1=Ratio - [ (ilvl - qlvl ) / Divisor ]
the less this parameter is , the bigger 1/C1 is, and the chance of unique\set\magic
it has the same effect as MF does.

Game was always easy. And from what I’ve tested in TZ it is like playing on p1.5 if you run it solo. Loot doesnt rain from the sky.

3 Likes

Game was always extremely easy.

It’s not hard to believe that Purist think it is hard though because it is the same game they have been playing for ~2 decades, not even trying other ARPGs.

I think you are mistaken. Level of monster has effect on weapon or armor base TC and decide if certain unique or set can drop, but its not affecting the %.

Both drop calculators i visited dont support what you say.

It looks like ilevel is part of the “quality check” calculation. But no way to really test this.

(From PureDiablo Item Generation Tutorial Patch 1.11)
Here is quality check algorithm:

1. Find the proper line in itemratio.txt. (This is driven by TC and determines the base item)
  2. Chance = (BaseChance - ((ilvl-qlvl)/Divisor)) * 128
  3. if (we check for unique, set or rare quality) EffectiveMF=MF*Factor/(MF+Factor)
    else EffectiveMF=MF
  4. Chance= Chance* 100/(100+ EffectiveMF).
  5. if (Chance<MinChance) Chance=MinChance
  6. FinalChance=Chance-(Chance*QualityFactor/1024)
  7. If (RND[ FinalChance ])<128 return Success
    else return Fail
1 Like