Hell Mode - Solo - Monsters with dual immunities and barely any damage done

Update: Oct 8 2021

I finally found something that can get me past the cold immune zombies outside of Act 1’s camp (lol). Thanks for all the replies, all.

TL;DR -

• Re-specced into Cold/Fire properly, looked up and followed the guide for “Meteorb” on Icy-Veins.
  • Hell mode is still hard but more doable thanks to Meteor.
  • Hell mode is slow and methodical for Solo-Sorceress’ because you need to babysit your mercenary as well as swapping between spells.
  • Run away from lightning immune mobs.
  • Stats: Enough strength to wear my current gear; remaining stats goes into vitality.
  • Began farming gear for Mercenary (Act 2), using them to hold mobs in place while I cast Meteor if the mob is immune to Cold.

So what am I missing here? I feel like there’s a catch-22 somewhere…

I took the community’s advice and used up a re-spec to to be a cold/fire sorceress but in Hell mode I’m encountering the following:

• An abundance of monsters with dual immunities - fire/cold. Great, I barely have any lightning skills.
  • Monsters with single immunities aren’t taking damage from the element they aren’t immune to. Too much health?

I can’t kill the cold-immune zombies outside of the Act 1 Camp with my non-cold spells. Also they’re regenerating health at a ridiculous rate, is this intended?

According to the following post, Cold Mastery would help but I’m not seeing it in-game: Does Cold Mastery remove Cold Immunity in Hell mode? - #2 by FrozenFruit-1724

Looking for tips on this predicament. Thanks.

My stats as of Oct 8 2021 –
I have 1 more respec from Akara (Hell Mode)

Lvl 70.

Str: 159
Dex: 31
Vit: 244
Energy: 60

Hell Mode Resists:
Fire: 38%
Lightening: 74%
Cold: 0%
Poison: 50%

Skill Tree:
Ice Bolt: 22
Frozen Armour: 4
Chilling Armour: 4
Ice Blast: 4
Frost Nova: 4
Glacial Spike: 4
Blizzard: 4
Frozen Orb: 18
Cold Mastery: 23

Lightning:
Charged Bolt: 4
Static Field: 4
Telekinesis: 4
Lightning: 4
Chain Lightning: 4
Teleportation: 4

Fire:
Warmth: 12
Inferno: 4
Blaze: 4
Fire Wall: 4
1 Like

Shop for a wand with Lower Resist (lvl 2) charges, in most cases it will remove one of the two resistances. Damage won’t be as good but it does wonders :slight_smile:

Until you can afford to build an Infinity this is your best option.

1 Like

Depends how you distributed your skill points, what level you are now and equipment. Without this information it’s a bit hard to tell.
Dual immune monsters should just be skipped, but usually only bosses have two immunities and the minions don’t. Buff up your merc that he can hold mobs in place to hit your spells. But again, we need your skill build and level to help out :slight_smile:
I had no problem with dual sorc in Hell, but I only went there around lvl 70, maybe a bit less.

Hell is so retarded, that you have to skip a lot of monsters. Act1 is a pink garden compare to act5.
If you are playing dual element, you wil struggle even more, because monsters have ridiculous HP pool.
If you are playing single element sorc, you can farm special areas on Hell.

1 Like

Sorry, mate. Stats added.

I spent time farming gear for my merc. but only got stuff for my character.
I slogged through The Den of Evil and managed to get my last re-spec. from Akara.

Lvl 70.

Str: 159
Dex: 31
Vit: 244
Energy: 60

Hell Mode Resists:
Fire: 38%
Lightening: 74%
Cold: 0%
Poison: 50%

Skill Tree:
Ice Bolt: 22
Frozen Armour: 4
Chilling Armour: 4
Ice Blast: 4
Frost Nova: 4
Glacial Spike: 4
Blizzard: 4
Frozen Orb: 18
Cold Mastery: 23

Lightning:
Charged Bolt: 4
Static Field: 4
Telekinesis: 4
Lightning: 4
Chain Lightning: 4
Teleportation: 4

Fire:
Warmth: 12
Inferno: 4
Blaze: 4
Fire Wall: 4

You should get +4 skill at this point. +2 from Spirit, +1 from Lore and +1 from your amulet.

If you don’t have a +1 amulet, ask in the Bnet. Someone may trade with you for a cheap price or free.
If you are in single-player mode, putting three rings into the cube and turn it into an amulet. +1 skill could show up since your clvl is higher than 48.

What shield are you using at this moment?

As for your skill point… :sweat:

1. 1st of all, it is a single element build not a dual-element build.
  2. always max out the skill before max out its synergy. You do MUCH more damage this way.
For an example

20firewall, 1Warmth, 1Fire Mastery deals 1752~1785 damage per sec
1firewall, 1Warmth, 20Fire Mastery deals 193~258 damage per sec
1firewall, 20Warmth, 1Fire Mastery deals 165~220 damage per sec

1. following the 2nd point. dual-element build should have 20 in orb and 20 in the firewall.
  2. Fire mastery buffing firewall more than Warmth
  3. Why do you have a point in Charged Bolt, Lightning, Chain Lightning? They aren’t one-point wonder skills. At low level, they don’t do significant damage in Hell mode.

The following are options that you need to consider:

• max for negative resistance is capped at -100%. This means after level17 in cold mastery, cold mastery doesn’t bring more damage. It still helps in breaking the immunity. Ask yourself, “do need it to help you on breaking immunity?”
  • Frozen armour has less armour bonus but it freezes the attacker. What do you prefer? freezing the attacker or less chance been hit?

You can use this to help plan your build. You can use it the theory crafting and doing thought experiments

https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/
I don’t like the guide on this website. It doesn’t do a good job on explanting the skill points.

I think I need to explain this.
Any monster is cold immune if it has more than 100 cold resist. It could be 100 cold resist, 120 cold resist, 130 cold resist or whatever the number may be.

Let’s say your cold mastery is at level 19 with -110% cold resistance.
Any monster with 10 cold resist or lower will have -100% cold resist.
If a cold immune monster with 120 cold resist, cold mastery works at 20%. Math: 120-110*0.2 = 98. So your cold spell can hurt it, but it only takes 2% of the damage. If your blizzard is doing 1500 damage, then the monster only receives 30 damage.

one quick reminder:
Fire Mastery will buff Meteor more than Fireball. Each level of Fire Mastery is +7%. Each level of Fireball is +5%.

However, high-level Fireball is a nice secondary damage dealer while your Meteor or Orb is on CD.

It is your choice depending on your play style. Ask yourself, “how often do I use fireball?”

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, yeah I was feeling that was the case entering Act 2. Meteor is nice but Fireball is much quicker to cast in a pinch.

1 Like

I managed to solo all of hell with a pure cold blizzard sorc. Static field was very useful as well as a decent mercenary. The only zone that was a major pain was the frozen river in act 5. Good news is that i’ll never go back there lol.